Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121727 ... LastLast

Thread: model building

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    I am unsure how practical this compressor is to be compatible with most hobby airbrushes.

If you check most hobby shops their coupling to the hoses are either 1/8 or 1/4" screw type.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-6HP-Air...item3cc3f90d2b

I have one of these, and I have a set of adaptors to fit my hoses. cost me under $100.

They have water/air trap filter attached just before your hose. and had last me for ages.
    i might take this 1 back and get the 1 that's on ebay. that's a hell of a lot cheaper then what i paid for this 1 i picked up.

The ebay model looks pretty good. The important bits are the adjustable pressure and moisture trap. Low noise is handy as well.

Congrats on getting into airbrushing. With a bit of practice I'm sure your paintjobs will improve immensely.

i'm hoping they do too!!! after seeing some of the amazing paint jobs that some of you guys have been doing, i relised that to go that extra step i'd have to upgrade the way i was doing things. ok another question... what hoses and connections do i need? i didn't get any hoses with the gun or compressor.

Iriorne is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Depends on what you need to connect.

At the most basic level, all you need is something that attaches to your airbrush (Iwata use 1/8" BSP but Badger, Paasche, Aztek all use different size fittings) and to your compressor (commonly 1/4" BSP).

My setup consists of the following:

Compressor (1/4" male screw) --> 1/4" female quick release adaptor --> coiled air hose (male quick release to female quick release) --> moisture trap (male quick release to 1/4" male screw) --> braided air hose (1/4" female screw to 1/8" female screw) --> Airbrush (1/8" male screw).

From memory, I picked up the coiled hose, trap and extra fittings from Super Cheap Auto, the braided hose was off ebay. You'll also probably want some teflon tape to stop air leaking through the threads. I do highly recommend the second water trap as I regularly have to empty mine out. I also have a little hook made out of some bent wire to hang the water trap right way up.

When you get set up, try practising with water + food dye to get a feel for the brush. There's plenty of advice online about painting but I find Tamiya paints air brush really well, are quite forgiving in terms of thinning (roughly 1:1) and air pressure and clean up easily with methylated spirits or windex (ammonia).

that helps a lot... i'll be heading back to super cheap this week so i'll get what parts i need then.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

On the note, just don't go nuts. it takes a while to "know" what you are doing.
    be very patient as cleaning can always be a drag but once you know what you need to do, is all good.

Also a lot of these premium airbrushes do come with the hoses. You may or may not need to buy adaptors to fit these hoses depending on size given.

Have fun.

Also get a quick release for the airbrush as well...save so much time for cleaning an also get a holder for the airbrush!! very important you need to set the brush down somewhere .... if you paint cup full and you need to set it down upright goodluck if you don't have one...lol

+1 on the holder. Preferably one made out of flexible plastic or rubber coated metal to prevent scratching your airbrush.

Also cleaning is really important. You don't want flecks of paint from the last session ruin your next session. I always flush mine out with lacquer thinners and clean the tip and needle thoroughly. Also where the needle travels back in the cup accumulates paint as well.

thanks for the help guys... i'm learning more and more each day and that's a hell of a lot better then the way i usually go...... like a bull outta gate. my wife took back the compressor and am gonna pick up 1 of the full kits on ebay so i don't have to worry about forgetting to get stuff to get started. i've got a stand on my to get list and i should actually have it before the set arrives. i was talking to a game shop owner on saturday about which paints to use and he recommend the 1's that the wargamers use plus the tamiya paints and also he wasn't sure if i needed to get 2 guns 1 for arycilic paints and 1 for enamel paints.

nah no need to get two guns...just clean it out properly and that will good....
    it just depend on which paint your comfortable with for painting....
    acrylic are easyier to wash...water ... but when dry you have to scrub abit more....

enamel is easy as well but alittle expensive as you need their cleaning solution and just can't to wash it down the drain so you have to pour and use cleaning pot .... but the paint just melt away so you don't need to scrub

then there lacquer (eg .automotive paint) as well but that thing deadly...need mask!!