Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Parramatta Collectors fair organiser caught up in scandal

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    The most disturbing news out of all of this UM is that you watch ACA

Given my opinion of ACA I will wait to see what a real investigation (as is no doubt now happening by Parra Council) finds.

Sucks if it means an end to the fair though
    haha that would be my fault i directed him to the article via conversation UM Hursty and i had on Twitter....
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Well, all signs point towards there being no more Parramatta Collectable fairs. Turns out the last music fair was cancelled on short notice and with no explanation given to stall holders. Jamie had no knowledge of the ACA article which I pointed out to him. He's calling his mates to let them know about it now too.

So where does that leave all the stall holders and their customers?

Jamie is looking into putting another one at Hornsby again in May, and he will look into getting one organised for the Parramatta area too. I'll keep everyone posted on new information when I hear more.

Oh and those wondering how Jamie is doing, he's well aside from not having a car coz it blew up

Is this fact confirmed Parramatta collectables fair is to be cancelled…

I am sure there is a lot of worthwhile charities that all proceeds from fairs to be divided..

Why can't the fair be located at Homebush olympic park? I don't know if it is free to hire or not although it is MORE spacious than Parramatta Town Hall and the "donna heat" inside during summer time.

It's not confirmed yet, but it's not looking good. The music fair that is the following Sunday from the collectibles fair was cancelled on short notice.

Doesn't have to be another one around Parramatta, but somewhere close for public transport and fairly cheap to hire would be good. I'll be staying in close contact with Jamie and see what we can organise.

Guess this makes the Penrith fair more important for sellers in Western Sydney
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I hope that another fair takes its place but if it's any further north I highly doubt that I'll continue to attend
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    The most disturbing news out of all of this UM is that you watch ACA
    In my defence, I was linked to it by Sharky. as he also stated

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post

From what I could make of the details, the after-expenses money (profit) he was making at the Fair was ALL meant to go to the Charity he was Chairman of.... AND, he was getting about 90% discount on the hiring of the Hall, which adds to his profit margin. (the normal daily rate was $2,700, but he was paying about $270 based on the hourly rate quoted on the Article)

If he has now stood down as Chairman of that Mo Awards Charity, and the Parramatta Council don't giving a discount if he can't prove that past profits went to that Charity, I hope someone else steps up to host a replacement fair. It's one Fair I like to go to every year or two.

Considering his limited costs and revenue ($4 from attendees, and apparently $150 from dealers - which some of our members can actually confirm or correct), it was certainly a big money maker.
    I recall LeigePrime being told he couldn't take any photos last time too?

I did some rough numbers yesterday,
    it's $75 per 6' table, a little less if you get 2 or 3. I estimate there being about 70 tables and at least 600 paid $6 tickets (it's obviously been a while Griffin ) it's free to get in after 12 or 1 I think.

so, 75 x 70 + 6 x 600 = 5250+3600 = 8850 per fair.
    pretty much cash in hand and tax free as he's collecting it all in cash even from sellers and probably not declaring most of it, and even if declared it woiuld be a tax free donation.

two lots of 4 fairs a year, 8 x 8850 = $70800

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    haha that would be my fault i directed him to the article via conversation UM Hursty and i had on Twitter....
    See, I don't watch ACA, most of the time.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    two lots of 4 fairs a year, 8 x 8850 = $70800
    Stretching that out to the 10 years (Gotta be damn close) that myself & 1Azrael1 have been attending the fair, that's $708,000 - 3/4s of a Million Dollars that this person has, allegedly, syphoned from between 2 charities over the course of a decade!

I think it's fairly certain that Parramatta Council is unlikely to permit another Fair to go ahead after having learnt of what has been happening under their noses for the past 10 years (Or thereabouts), as they too have been taken advantage of with their generosity of such a staggeringly large discount being exploited - The negative media-attention alone will have them running for the hills I'd imagine.

Indeed, it was a good although sobering & disheartening conversation that @Ultra_Marginal, @Sharky_Wattsy & I shared yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I'd like to propose that if the fair does go under, we attend the food court every quarter anyway.
    I second this proposal. Most of my spending is done before I get through the doors anyway and I mostly attend these days for the social aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    I think it's fairly certain that Parramatta Council is unlikely to permit another Fair to go ahead...
    Sadly, I agree with you
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I second this proposal. Most of my spending is done before I get through the doors anyway and I mostly attend these days for the social aspect.

Absolutely. I've been purchasing more from our members than the Fair itself & there's no reason why we can't continue to meet up quarterly