Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: TF4 "Then & Now" sets coming to ToysRUs

So whats with the ivan code? Why is Grimlock called Ivan??

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Since when have the Dinobots moulds been lost? Don't recall reading that one
    http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Mold#Lost_molds

Known lost/stolen molds are:
    Generation 1 Grimlock
    Generation 1 Slag
    Generation 1 Sludge
    Generation 1 Snarl
    Generation 1 Swoop
    Generation 1 Mirage
    Most if not all of the Beast Wars basics

Molds rumored to be lost:
    Generation 1 Sunstreaker

Saying that "most if not all of the Beast Wars Basics" are lost, is a ridiculous and blatantly incorrect generalisation for the TFWiki to make. Three BW Basic moulds are broken. The twenty-plus others are - as far as we know - perfectly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Saying that "most if not all of the Beast Wars Basics" are lost, is a ridiculous and blatantly incorrect generalisation for the TFWiki to make. Three BW Basic moulds are broken. The twenty-plus others are - as far as we know - perfectly fine.
    Really? Care to find a reference and edit the information?

As someone that edits TFwiki a bit I really think we need to use references a lot more like Wikipedia does. A Wiki should be as indisputable as the Encyclopaedia Britannic. A scientific study a few years back found that Wikipedia has less errors than the Britannica, so I figure with a few reference links we should be able to get TFwiki up to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by mknell View Post
    So whats with the ivan code? Why is Grimlock called Ivan??
    Because Ivan must break you.

They're all named after Rocky characters, in this case, Ivan Drago

Yeah... for some strange reason, the TF4 characters were given Rocky code-names to hide them from fansites (as if they were some national secret). But when the Hasbro database leaked last October, with both names sets of names with matching Product Numbers, it let us know for sure what each code-name was for.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Really? Care to find a reference and edit the information?

As someone that edits TFwiki a bit I really think we need to use references a lot more like Wikipedia does. A Wiki should be as indisputable as the Encyclopaedia Britannic. A scientific study a few years back found that Wikipedia has less errors than the Britannica, so I figure with a few reference links we should be able to get TFwiki up to the same standard.
    At BotCon about twelve years ago, Hasbro claimed that the mould for Basic Rattrap was lost or broken after being used for Packrat in 1997. Insecticon and (I believe) Armordillo had suffered a similar fate. Some people say Terrorsaur/Lazorbeak is also missing, but since it's been used for Fractyl, Hydra, Terranotron and Swoop (the latter two at the same time as Hasbro was talking about the missing moulds) it's probably just a rumour/misunderstanding. That leaves Basic Optimus Prime, Razorbeast, Megatron/Iguanus, Snapper, Airazor, Claw Jaw, Snarl, Drill Bit, Powerpinch, Razorclaw, Spittor, Air Hammer, Bantor, Noctorro, Buzzclaw, Quickstrike, Terragator, Nightglider, Optimus Minor, Sonar, Stinkbomb, Scarem and Spittor all intact as far as we know. So I assume whoever put that on the wiki took an offhand comment about three Basic moulds and mistranslated it into "most if not all of the Beast Wars Basics".

The "default setting" is that a mould exists until it is proven or quoted by a reliable source that it is lost or broken. Which means a reference listing that goes against the default, is the one that needs to provide evidence of those claims.
    The good thing about Wikis is that they often note their sources at the bottom of the pages... so the tfwiki just needs to note a source if they ever use the word "known".

I personally am one who thinks that the odds are, that after all this time, most are now lost, since we've heard generalised comments in the past that many older moulds are gone... but unless it is proven, we have to blindly assume that they still exist.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The "default setting" is that a mould exists until it is proven or quoted by a reliable source that it is lost or broken. Which means a reference listing that goes against the default, is the one that needs to provide evidence of those claims.
    The good thing about Wikis is that they often note their sources at the bottom of the pages... so the tfwiki just needs to note a source if they ever use the word "known".

I personally am one who thinks that the odds are, that after all this time, most are now lost, since we've heard generalised comments in the past that many older moulds are gone... but unless it is proven, we have to blindly assume that they still exist.
    Well I fixed up it up to what we know from Botcon is lost. I fear that many moulds have been lost over the years myself. At least if they loose a modern mould they have the CAD designs to make a new one if it's an important/valuable mould.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Well I fixed up it up to what we know from Botcon is lost.
    Awesome.