Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Metrotitan

Nice progress. For the glow effects maybe you can get a circle (or squarish) template and very lightly spray a pure white dot in the middle of each vent to make it pop.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    Nice progress. For the glow effects maybe you can get a circle (or squarish) template and very lightly spray a pure white dot in the middle of each vent to make it pop.
    I am aware of the stencil/template technique you're referring too but I've never tried it before. I do want to get more 'pop' out of these areas so I think a spot of practice on a junker before I do it on 'Titan would be a good idea.

I am wondering if pure white is the way to go or a very pale pink first? What do you think?

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

I'd go with a 50/50 mix of clear and white, use low pressure, thin paint and only spray enough to get a soft glow. I'd definitely practice on something else first though. Wouldn't want to mess up all that work.

I'd go with a 50/50 mix of clear and white, use low pressure, thin paint and only spray enough to get a soft glow. I'd definitely practice on something else first though. Wouldn't want to mess up all that work.
    I have 4 days off work starting tomorrow. I have some stuff to practice on first, going to try this technique out for sure, thanks heaps for the advice!

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms

M-Bot, What Air brush kit are you using? Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    M-Bot, What Air brush kit are you using? Looks great!
    It's not a very sophisticated set up. Got a small, cheap air compressor for about $150, and a no-name brand (literally has no discernible branding on it) airbrush for $40. Its a workhorse, not particularly precise, but I've been able to get reasonable results with practice. Its a dual action gravity feed airbrush - IMHO there's not much point in getting a single action if you're at all serious about airbrushing. The dual action takes practice, but a skill worth learning for customising.

I have a principle that if I'm taking up a hobby, I will try and not spend too much in case in the initial stages in case I don't go on with it. Case in point, I have a mate who's an artist who dabbled in airbrushing and bought a pretty expensive one and it has sat in his garage unused for a couple of years. He's toyed with the idea of passing it to me for safe keeping (), which has made me hold back on buying a better, more expensive one up until now.

I've been using an airbrush only a year or so, and before you suggested it to me, I'd never considered mixing a clear with an opaque paint. Sort of like the airbrushing equivalent of rubbing vaseline on a camera lens for soft focus.

I tried it today and made some masks using some surplus clear plastic lids (like what you get with takeaway food) and got some really nice results on a black plastic disposable spoon (after a number of attempts). I then tried it out on one of the pieces I wouldn't have minded doing over if I had to and it came up a treat! I'll post some pics later. Thanks again for the advice Gamblor!

Getting close! Cannot wait for the final reveal!

Quote Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
    Getting close! Cannot wait for the final reveal!
    It might be further away than it seems... it a bit like a house - it looks complete from the outside, but the interiors and fixtures take much longer. In this instance, it will take some time to add more paint apps, touch ups and detailing, which I've started. I've also got some commission work on my plate which may slow me down a little in the next few weeks.