Thread: Comic book thread ON!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by CBratron View Post
    Not sure if this should've had it's own topic.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1227001404525
    Were they replica firearms? If yes then add it to the MP5 thread!

Just finished reading all of Year 1 of Injustice: Gods Among Us (36 issues) and the first 22 issues of Year 2.

Wow - awesome comics! I'll write some of my fave stuff below but hide it in case of Spoilers:

The Joker tricking Superman into killing Lois and his unborn child along as well as blowing up Metropolis - freaking insane! Which is exactly what it does to Superman, he goes nuts and gradually takes over the world! Kills the Joker, kills Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, Black Canary etc. Robin kills Nightwing. Wonder Woman kills (sorta) Captian Atom. I think my favorite part out of the whole thing is at the end of the first year of comics Alfred taking the super pill that makes everyone almost as strong as Superman and then proceeding to headbutt Superman, breaking Supermans nose - then beating the living shit out of him for hurting Batman. F'ing go Alfred! This comic seems to break every long standing staple in the DC universe - it's just, just brilliant! Cant wait to see what happens next, with Superman joining the Sinestro Corps!

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Just finished reading all of Year 1 of Injustice: Gods Among Us (36 issues) and the first 22 issues of Year 2.

Wow - awesome comics! I'll write some of my fave stuff below but hide it in case of Spoilers:

this was a book i enjoyed buying digitally until comixology changed the store/payment methods i dropped it with about 12 other books (Green and Red Lanterns so on so forth) due to the lack of ease to get them now.

it was great seeing what would happen if supes would loose it like he did.

i was thinking of pcking up a trade or two when they get released...
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Today I finally completed my collection of Rom comics.

Dear DC fans
    How did you cope with the publisher rebooting continuity and throwing out decades of stories (except for the ones that sell well in bookstores)?
    From
    A Marvel fan

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Dear DC fans
    How did you cope with the publisher rebooting continuity and throwing out decades of stories (except for the ones that sell well in bookstores)?
    From
    A Marvel fan
    this kinda bugs me from marvel but I look forward to it as well, they did the marvel NOW soft reboot which did and didn't restart some stuff, I think there has been more misses of late with the titles and events

avx sucked
    original sin sucked
    axis sucked

iron man has been sucky
    avengers titles has mostly been one major crossover that is a slower burn then bbq coals

a reboot will be good to get rid of all those crap stories

but then there has been some good stuff Thor/Odinson what they have done with him has been good (couldn't care less about thor girl)
    Punisher has been good
    and the non earth based books have been good..

I am half intrigued to see what will happen
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    this kinda bugs me from marvel but I look forward to it as well, they did the marvel NOW soft reboot which did and didn't restart some stuff, I think there has been more misses of late with the titles and events

avx sucked
    original sin sucked
    axis sucked

iron man has been sucky
    avengers titles has mostly been one major crossover that is a slower burn then bbq coals

a reboot will be good to get rid of all those crap stories

but then there has been some good stuff Thor/Odinson what they have done with him has been good (couldn't care less about thor girl)
    Punisher has been good
    and the non earth based books have been good..

I am half intrigued to see what will happen
    The Marvel NOW relaunches didn't throw anything away though, just set up new status quos etc.

It's not a surprise, and it's obviously been coming since time broke and the incursions started. (I'm still wondering where the Exiles are as their whole job was preventing the destruction of the multiverse due to alternate realities going wrong. At least they, finally, covered that the Roma and the Captain Britain Corps were also paying attention to the incursions)

The thing about it that kinda bugs me is what I'd call the All Hail Megatron effect. Rather than creating new and interesting things, Marvel is trying to bring back the popular things. And when I say popular I mean, the things that were popular years ago (or elsewhere - like the movies and cartoons) and just do more of that rather than something original.

Some of the recent changes are stupid, sure I'd like to see Jubilee not be a vampire anymore, but that doesn't mean I want the X-Men Animated Series teenager back either but some have been good. I'm halfway through Superior Spider-Man and it's a really interesting new take on Spider-Man. Even though I know the ending, I'd like SpOck to hang around. But comics never change. Everything ends up reset to the familiar "safe" status quo eventually.

I've already moved my mindset away from a "gotta have them all" and I'll still pick up post Secret Wars stuff from the library and $1 comixology sales, but I don't think I'll go out of my way to buy new books.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Dear DC fans
    From
    A Marvel fan
    I don't care, reboots are just a bigger retcon. The stories still exist, whether they "count" is meaningless.

Strict adherence decades of continuity hurts storytelling, hence why retcons are everywhere, people swallow that but turn their nose up at a full reboot? Sliding timescales are fine but reboots aren't?

"This pretend story isn't real! ;_;"
    Newsflash, none of it is real and people need to get over it. Enjoy good books, never follow a series for anything other than good writing and art.

I cope because I'm a rational adult. Comics will forever be held back due to publisher worship instead of enjoying a good writer. We'll happily eat shit if it has our preferred logo/character on it. And that's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    I don't care, reboots are just a bigger retcon. The stories still exist, whether they "count" is meaningless.

Strict adherence decades of continuity hurts storytelling, hence why retcons are everywhere, people swallow that but turn their nose up at a full reboot? Sliding timescales are fine but reboots aren't?

"This pretend story isn't real! ;_;"
    Newsflash, none of it is real and people need to get over it. Enjoy good books, never follow a series for anything other than good writing and art.

I cope because I'm a rational adult. Comics will forever be held back due to publisher worship instead of enjoying a good writer. We'll happily eat shit if it has our preferred logo/character on it. And that's sad.
    That post you quoted wasn't all that serious.

I've been reading Marvel books for more a long time and each is part of one big story, and there's an appeal to that. A full reboot means that the story I've been following ends and that makes it easy to say "yep, I'm done". DC's done this a few times but I've never collected DC books.

I'll accept a retcon as they add dimension and twists to the ongoing story. Sliding time scales only affect the cultural references.

A reboot to me says the old story is done. Here's a new one, but the new one tends to be too similar to the old one. Like the Amazing Spider-Man movies and how they just go over the same points as the first set of movies (that went over the same stories from 40 years earlier).

I'm not a fan of seeing the same stories told over and over and this idea that everything has to be the same as when I started reading it. It'd be interesting to see comic book writers do something new and different with characters than to see them retell the origin stories again.

If Marvel's Secret Wars produces good new stories, that'll be great, but if it's just a chance to reboot everything back to a 'classic' status quo (Steve's Captain America again, Thor's male again, Wolverine's not dead) that's boring.