Quote Originally Posted by piratescratch View Post
Crap, it's been forever (okay August 2009) since I've visited OTCA.

I'm glad to see the comic book thread I created is still going strong.

So to kick off my return, what's everybody's favourite ongoing title at the moment?

Heroic Age Thunderbolts has knocked Secret Warriors off the top spot for me. Love the new team, love Kev Walker's art, though it looks like he won't be covering the Shadowland tie ins though.
I'm having more time these days and am getting back into actively consuming issues rather than have them accumulating dust.

Some news here that is not new but I don't think anyone's paying attention to:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=28466

Known fact for a long time now but the rapid attrition of titles is a feature these days that I'm not sure how the large companies will retain in the long run.

Have any of you read comics on the ipad? Incredible experience. Can't recommend it enough. It's also really sparked a lot of my interest again back into comics. I got the ipad mainly for books originally. Save money and no storage space. But the same principle has come to apply to comics and the comixology apps are amazing in the way they offer a brand new reading experience. I've re-read comics I've owned and read many times and I still can't help but marvel at the quality of the experience. The only thing that doesn't have the same punch at times is the massive double splashes. But even that's easily compensated by the new way you consume the comics. Not to mention its cheaper. Perhaps this is contributing to the decline in the direct market. But given it's relative new-ness, I don't think so.

That's not to say I won't by print but definitely am only going to buy HCs or premium formats for my favourite comics now. No longer will I accumulate a whole of physical comics I have to go to the trouble of storing unless its the best stuff I must have.

Courtesy of the ipad, my current favourite series is Y the Last Man. I'm reading each issue as it gets released in the DC store. Though I have to admit I've had to resist the temptation of just going and buying the darn hardcovers and reading the whole story in one go. But I'm trying to restrain myself b/c this is the first time in a long time that I'm waitng and waiting for every single issue to come out. That's a feeling I've long forgotten; that excitement on release day. It's great to feel it again every Wednesday.

Which pales to a lot of others stuff that I get from my LCS which just accumulates and then I pick up every few months.

But yes, Y the Last Man is so far a great series. Will chase it down in HC too eventually but will read it first in single issue format.

What else I'm reading:
- Green Lantern
- Green Lantern Corps
- Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors
- Birds of Prey
- Captain America
- Secret Six
- Transformers: Drift

... whoa! I just realised how heavily DC skewed that is. I grew up on Marvel but geez have things changed. I still get the Marvel HCs, mind you, but I also do that for the above (or TPB form) when it's released.