Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2030353637383940

Thread: The chogokin or gokin (metal) toys thread

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I like to put the masterpiece line OUT of the chogokin topic. Masterpiece is already what it is. They have increased the quality by painting their figures atm. Diecast is not in topic because Takara isn't changing their flow of things. (I moved on) This doesn't mean I have to Love and kiss their arse to justify their increase in pricing. When they do release a nice figure, I do acknowledge it. While is a (I move on) situation, I find Fantoys as my solution of what I wanted from Masterpiece line. If you ask me, the 3p Masterpiece Primes are nice designs from MS and TE but they both lack a serious thing and is as simple as paint to match ironhide and inferno. < This is a deal breaker for me, may not for many, and hence why I look at MP44 as my choice of replacing my mp-10.

So lets talk about Titanius? Here's the thing, its a total mismatch. I seriously not being OCD here, just have a look at your own picture. You are putting two very nicely done up figure on a cheapo plastic looking white dino. S. If a company didn't do it right and in this instance I do feel its below the CHOGOKIN line standards, I say it.

What would I change? I say the white on the plastic. It feels cheap, it doesn't feel like it belongs to this< I personally would take a darker hint of greyish white to give a more mature look. The neck with the grey bits maybe make it more metallic? I mean look at the grey bits? It feels too kiddish? And you look and the Dragonzord silver arm, look how well is it done up? Or alternatively use pearl white which gives a metallic white to it. Some how the white on this piece is off putting than complimenting.

Maybe look at VF-1J DX Chogokin white? If you have the toy you notice it isn't the white like Titanius.

Here's the thing if its going to cost me MORE to have a nice figure, I would pay it rather than paying for something that makes the other two look way better and this guy just makes the combined mode look bad.
    I am definitely considering flipping mine off.

Maybe best way to compare is when my Godmas soc comes and we can see the difference in the White parts? My GGG white lion doesn't feel cheap, the Ideon soc on white bits is very nice white.
    Considerably I hated my Metal build Red Astray White, is the same deal with this piece. The Blue Metabuild Astray looks like Bandai changed it.

In my opinion, I don't like this figure, For 22,000jpy I didn't feel it was worth that much and thats not even RRP Bandai is asking. Mind you I hardly kick a fuss in the soc line, but I feel this was a first.

You may not be a Tetsujin 28 fan, but Action Toys Heavy Metal T-28 is my vote for the chogokin toy of 2019.
    Last edited by drifand; 7th July 2019 at 08:31 AM.

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    What would I change? I say the white on the plastic. It feels cheap, it doesn't feel like it belongs to this< I personally would take a darker hint of greyish white to give a more mature look. The neck with the grey bits maybe make it more metallic? I mean look at the grey bits? It feels too kiddish? And you look and the Dragonzord silver arm, look how well is it done up? Or alternatively use pearl white which gives a metallic white to it. Some how the white on this piece is off putting than complimenting.

Maybe look at VF-1J DX Chogokin white? If you have the toy you notice it isn't the white like Titanius.
    I'm conflicted on this whole white plastic issue, I honestly dislike the grey-white they used on the hi metal vf1's (which look the same as the DX chogokins) but excused it because it MIGHT offset yellowing, and yet here we are, the very white I WANT in a figure, it only looks cheap because it has etched details and you're aware its plastic and those details are not fleshed out (a wash might solve this), being white highlights this, if it was painted white but those details were still not filled in would it be that noticeable?

I don't get the whites they're using at bandai, all I know is from those pics they seem quite fitting to me personally.

Good for you, I am just selling mine. cheers!

Looking forward to my Godmas soc, the voltron reissue should be out this month as well. So far in terms of "gokin" if you are a metal fan, the Action toys T-28 chops every contender. I wouldn't sell it even if you offered 2K.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    I like to put the masterpiece line OUT of the chogokin topic. Masterpiece is already what it is. They have increased the quality by painting their figures atm. Diecast is not in topic because Takara isn't changing their flow of things. (I moved on) This doesn't mean I have to Love and kiss their arse to justify their increase in pricing. When they do release a nice figure, I do acknowledge it. While is a (I move on) situation, I find Fantoys as my solution of what I wanted from Masterpiece line. If you ask me, the 3p Masterpiece Primes are nice designs from MS and TE but they both lack a serious thing and is as simple as paint to match ironhide and inferno. < This is a deal breaker for me, may not for many, and hence why I look at MP44 as my choice of replacing my mp-10.

So lets talk about Titanius? Here's the thing, its a total mismatch. I seriously not being OCD here, just have a look at your own picture. You are putting two very nicely done up figure on a cheapo plastic looking white dino. S. If a company didn't do it right and in this instance I do feel its below the CHOGOKIN line standards, I say it.

Here's the thing if its going to cost me MORE to have a nice figure, I would pay it rather than paying for something that makes the other two look way better and this guy just makes the combined mode look bad.
    I am definitely considering flipping mine off.

Maybe best way to compare is when my Godmas soc comes and we can see the difference in the White parts? My GGG white lion doesn't feel cheap, the Ideon soc on white bits is very nice white.
    Considerably I hated my Metal build Red Astray White, is the same deal with this piece. The Blue Metabuild Astray looks like Bandai changed it.

In my opinion, I don't like this figure, For 22,000jpy I didn't feel it was worth that much and thats not even RRP Bandai is asking. Mind you I hardly kick a fuss in the soc line, but I feel this was a first.

You may not be a Tetsujin 28 fan, but Action Toys Heavy Metal T-28 is my vote for the chogokin toy of 2019.
    Ok, thank you for replying.

I brought up the issue of diecast because you have been very vocal in the past about the lack of diecast, so to read you not minding it was a surprise.

Megazord and Dragonzord have quite a lot of unpainted plastic on them, and somehow don't look cheap, so what is different when Bandai do the same with Titanus?

On the show, Titanus had a slight shine to him, although he wasn't as glossy or shiny as this figure. I have a feeling that a duller white plastic would look cheap - more so than the glossy plastic the figure currently has. From pictures and a YouTube video, the DX Chogokin VF-1J has a matte paint job, which probably wouldn't suit the slight shine Titanus has. Sure, it's tempting to say Bandai cheaped out by not painting every white piece, but if a similar enough effect can be achieved by just using plastic colourants instead of adding the extra step of painting each piece, why not? Also, since the figure was originally designed and engineered to work without an extensive paint job, I wonder if adding a layer of paint would change the tolerances so parts would start rubbing against each other or not fit properly.

The grey in the neck segments is already metallic - it's a darker, gunmetal grey rather than a silver. It also looks like a fairly good match for the grey on the body. If you watch the show, the darker parts between the white segments on the neck are just that - dark. They're not meant to be bright metallic.

For anyone who's interested, this site has some images of the Titanus prop from the show.

Diecast is lacking on tfs, I love mp-1.
    What bugged me more was paint was lacking on tfs. It became a acceptable standard which kinda let down.

The metal for titanius is at several places, Metal in this case was not the issue, for me is just the overall figure did not gel well with the other two. The quality build feels underwhelming and the price well I don?t see it for what they wanted.
    I like to move on. If you love it, good for you. I have no issues here. I just feel this isn?t an soc standard, simply holding my godsigma and looking at this piece just doesn?t feel the same.

Unfortunately this type of white plastic doesn?t do it for me and is coming from a guy who collect Gundam toys. Which I had the same issue with metal build astray red frame.. it feels cheap.

Same if you use this on vf-1j it will be yuk. I prefer a Matt white finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    I grabbed a Vehicle Voltron from Amazon. Pretty happy. Both SoC Voltrons will look damn good standing next to each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    After seeing Vehicle Voltron I couldn't help myself and I bought it and found Lion too. My first SOC products. Now to decide if I display them in my office or home office...
    Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    Must control the urge to pre-order this! I'm getting FOMO, they would absolutely look great together!
    All right I caved and pre-ordered Vehicle Voltron . Lion Voltron wouldn't have looked right on its own in the Detolf. Got the 2nd last one on Nippon-Yasan.

*Voltron dropped into my PoL.* Hooray!!!
    *Looks at credit card bill.* Boo!!!
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Enjoyed my Godmaz soc, totally a better finish than what Titanius was.