Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: D'oh! Seized by Customs!

True story: there was a Transfan (some of us here know this person - let's call him Maynard MacGuffin) who took a G1 Megatron toy in gun mode to an airport. Security guards saw him and immediately tackled him. When they realised that it was a toy gun they let him go with a stern scolding. But idiots like that make you understand why we have laws that restrict realistic looking toy guns, and unfortunately it is irresponsible people like Maynard MacGuffin who make it more difficult for the vast majority of TF collectors (who would never dream of doing something like that) to own gun Transformers.

I hope that Victorians can find a way to legally import/own these toys.

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    True story: there was a Transfan (some of us here know this person - let's call him Maynard MacGuffin) who took a G1 Megatron toy in gun mode to an airport. Security guards saw him and immediately tackled him. When they realised that it was a toy gun they let him go with a stern scolding. But idiots like that make you understand why we have laws that restrict realistic looking toy guns, and unfortunately it is irresponsible people like Maynard MacGuffin who make it more difficult for the vast majority of TF collectors (who would never dream of doing something like that) to own gun Transformers.

My latest news from the Queensland government is that they are in the process of overhauling their replica firearms laws and that my submissions made on behalf of Queensland TFs re MP05 (etc) will be considered. Keep those fingers crossed.

As for Victoria, their reply was far less helpful, and far less hopeful. They basically quoted the law back to me (which I already knew) and said no. I haven't given up on them yet, though...

For those wanting to bend the rules, I'm sure you'll get real flexible after 7 years in prison! This isn't like overstaying your parking or even speeding, which are more regulatory rather than offences. This is right up there with the big ones.
    MP-05 legal acquisition process:

www.megatron.net.au

My collection and stuff for sale:

www.csapo.com.au/ttf/tiby'stransformers.htm

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiby View Post
    For those wanting to bend the rules, I'm sure you'll get real flexible after 7 years in prison! This isn't like overstaying your parking or even speeding, which are more regulatory rather than offences. This is right up there with the big ones.
    *cough*
    ________
    Spirit
    Last edited by MV75; 11th March 2011 at 10:25 AM.

Of all the things you could go to jail for... , Toys would be the coolest by far...

(I hope no one takes my ramblings literally)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Please be aware guys that it is in the board rules not to encourage or solicite an offence. It could be used against you in a court of law, if you or someone else here is prosecuted over the offence.
    As much as it subjectively seems unfair, objectively the laws were created for a reason. If you have a problem with the law, change it, don't fight it.

Doesn't seem fair for the seller. They lose their stock and their money, because it was legitimately confiscated by customs, rather than it being lost in the mail or not sent by the seller. I hope this was before you knew that customs would confiscate Megatron, otherwise claiming a refund may constitute fraud.
    Noted Griffin, shush from now on about the issue.

Regarding the parcel, people have been talking so much about "it" being confiscated but now one knew whether it was really true so I just tried my luck to order it anyway (If they took Megs, they should at least send me my RT Ultra Magnus and Rumble/Frenzy headphones).

Until now I have received no letter or whatsoever from any authority and the only letter I got was from AustPost asking if I received the parcel, so there's no prove as to where the parcel really is (apart from the parcel tracking status on website itself). Plus I called and emailed customs like 2-3 times and they even told me if I had a parcel seized, a letter will be sent to me in 5-10 business days. (It's been 2 MONTHS since)

Paypal probably refunded me because the seller refused to communicate with me anyway, it's like they have repetitive cases like this and they can't seem to be bothered. And I'm guessing they can claim insurance for loss of parcel on their end as well. I emailed them before to ask if they had problems about sending MP-05 to Australia, they said probably not, so I think they also wanted to take a chance to make the sale.
    Last edited by JuzMel; 9th August 2008 at 09:18 PM.
    ~ JuzMel ~
    My son is taking over all my TFs!

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tiby View Post

Don't discount speeding fines. I got a mandatory jail sentence just for being caught twice driving whilst suspended. Lucky I'm so flexible but I would have rathered going to jail for Megs over just drag racing my HX.

Way past time I acquired a firearms license with all the nice high powered rifles and shotguns I'm set to inherit anyway.
    Megs Masterpiece you will be mine!

Tiby, would you know how the law pertains to those that have owned Megs since 1985?

I guess what I meant is that prison is a last resort for speeding, etc, or for repeat offenders ( ) but pretty high on the list for firearms offences, especially with the current "terrorism" climate.

In NSW, G1 Megatron seems to be safe, although the law has changed a few times over the years. Encore Megatron and older versions of him have been coming through without any hassle, but it is a fine line. I wouldn't be waving him around.

Simply owning something before it was illegal does not change the current legal position, which goes for people who got MP05 through before customs got involved. Case in point, the firearms changes with certain types of rifles and the ensuing amnesty to hand them in.

VIC seems to have cracked down quite a bit. But, all of the states are working on a uniform system, so I have hope for the NSW model being used in the other states. A full licence should keep you safe, but you may need to put the figure into the same lockup as the real guns, not the watered down version we have in NSW for MP05.
    MP-05 legal acquisition process:

www.megatron.net.au

My collection and stuff for sale:

www.csapo.com.au/ttf/tiby'stransformers.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JuzMel View Post
    Regarding the parcel, people have been talking so much about "it" being confiscated but now one knew whether it was really true so I just tried my luck to order it anyway (If they took Megs, they should at least send me my RT Ultra Magnus and Rumble/Frenzy headphones).

Until now I have received no letter or whatsoever from any authority and the only letter I got was from AustPost asking if I received the parcel, so there's no prove as to where the parcel really is (apart from the parcel tracking status on website itself). Plus I called and emailed customs like 2-3 times and they even told me if I had a parcel seized, a letter will be sent to me in 5-10 business days. (It's been 2 MONTHS since)

Paypal probably refunded me because the seller refused to communicate with me anyway, it's like they have repetitive cases like this and they can't seem to be bothered. And I'm guessing they can claim insurance for loss of parcel on their end as well. I emailed them before to ask if they had problems about sending MP-05 to Australia, they said probably not, so I think they also wanted to take a chance to make the sale.
    Well if you look on the brightside, Atleast you received a refund (unlike alot of others who never got back a cent... )

I guess that on the plus side, if/when the law is changed, Customs is going to have a lot of seized MP-05s to sell off cheap.

Unless they're destroying them, I suppose.