Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 31318192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic review: More Than Meets The Eye season 2: #28 onwards

Yeah... I personally want to see Team Rodimus prevail because I really like Megatron's whole journey of personal redemption. But at the same time, I can completely understand where Getaway and the remaining crew of the Lost Light are coming from, as they feel that there has been a gross miscarriage of justice. And they're absolutely right in that Megatron has not been seen as adequately being made to pay for his crimes.

Of course, Getaway and his supporters are arguably behaving more like Decepticons (or like Prowl ); they are being consequentialists (i.e. the ends justify the means), whereas Team Rodimus are acting more like Autobots (or Optimus Prime ); they are being deontologists (i.e. the ends can never justify the means). While characters like Prowl, Getaway and Atomiser have always been consequentialistic utilitarians in the IDW universe, I don't know if the same could be said for most Autobots. I'd say that the Autobot cause tends to attract deontologists while the Decepticon cause tends to attract consequentialists (although they do have consequentialists too, such as Soundwave and Thundercracker, and the reformed Megatron [although he's officially an Autobot now] etc.). So it seems to me that the bulk of the crew were drawn towards taking this extremely consequentialistic action due to desperation; driven by those with a more natural inclination/disposition. I don't know if those like Blaster are necessarily enthused about taking this course of action, but rather feeling like they have no other reasonable choice but to do so in the name of justice... because there is simply no other way. Somewhat similar to why vigilante style super heroes like Batman and Daredevil don masks in order to bring justice to criminals who otherwise slip through the legal system. These Autobots seem to believe that the system has failed them and they have little other recourse. The fact that they've even managed to set them up with the DJD just goes to show how utterly desperate they must be.

As the audience, we know that Megatron has done a lot of good and has come a long way in achieving personal redemption. But now that I think about it, who else outside of Team Rodimus have personally witnessed this reformation in Megatron? Without witnessing this, the rest of the crew may continue to view Megatron as a villain. And the other question is -- how much of Megatron's reformation is intrinsically authentic, and how much of it is extrinsically induced by his watered down Energon? That spontaneous smack-down of Minimus Ambus plus the self-harm to his own head/helmet leaves unanswered questions. I really hope that it's the former though... the latter feels like a cheap cop out to allow Megatron to suddenly revert back to his old ways. Gah. Or perhaps the truth lies midway between these two extremes.

Spoiler reaction to #51 but wanted to note that in all the time I've been reading comics I can't recall a time that I've turned a page (well guided view) and exclaimed out loud with excitement, relief and surprise as I did with this issue.. Love this comic.

Ten is awesome, also nice to see story arcs coming together

I've only just caught up on issue #50.

I had more than a few chuckles and the twist at the end regarding the Lost Light really surprised me, while at the same time, it really didn't surprise me when I stopped and thought about it.
    While I'd like to see some comeuppance for certain remaining characters for these actions, the fact Brainstorm copped nothing for his makes me unsure that anything much will happen.

Not having read #51 yet, I'm guessing from Red Alert's reaction and the actions of buckethead in this issue that we may see some Rage-ahol action in the coming issues, and by joves will the Rodpod crew need it.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    and the twist at the end regarding the Lost Light really surprised me, while at the same time, it really didn't surprise me when I stopped and thought about it.
    it hits you as a surprise, but it's totally understandable why they do what they do. And you re read the issue and you see it all play out in front of you.

I do wonder how many of them knew of the DJD's involvement though and whether they would have made the same decision if they did.

This issue was not as heart wrenching, but still had many great character moments and their relation with other characters.

Loved the final page. It won't be enough to fully turn the tide, but glad to see some friendly help arrive.

Issue 52 was quite good. Some of the better points:

*Tarn expanding on why he finds Megatrons betrayl so personal
    *Megatron wondering if his true nature is being suppressed by 'fools energon' (which for my money makes his continued change into a 'good bot' all the more believable, rather than suddenly over the course of a year he has completely changed from who has been for the last 4 million)
    *The fight between Tarn & Overlord was pretty good - yay - alt-modes actually being used!
    *Overlord bating Tarn at every turn and Tarn killing one of his own leiutenats

The only bit I had an issue with was Tarn not him not wondering more about Overlords resurfacing, surely the DJD are good at making sure Phase-6'ers are fully dead. But that might have taken up valuable panels I guess as they explored that the Overlord the DJD killed was a duplicate.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Lost Light crew get out of this now that they are up against the DJD AND Dethsaurus' crew AND Overlord. I hope they don't do it too easily considering how easy Overlord killed so many of the Lost Light crew before and the DJD massacered the entire duplicate crew.

Finally caught up on my comics today. Also really excited to seeing alt modes being used in battle! I also want a toy of Ten! Hasbro could make him transform into anything they want (a tank seems obvious) since he doesn't have an alt mode, but obviously the toy needs one in order to be a commercially viable product for Hasbro. "Legislator" is probably a better sounding name than "Ten."

Does anyone proof read these comics before they go for print? Cos there are quite a number of easily avoidable errors. "Though" is a conjunctive adverb, not a verb in its past tense. At least, so I though (sic).

I also really liked the chemistry between the members of the DJD and Overlord, as well as the banter between Tarn and Megatron. It really helps to flesh them out as characters and not just 'monsters.' And as always, great to see humour being injected throughout to punctuate the emotional intensity of the drama and action. Heh, space scooter.

And evidently IDW Brainstorm and Ratchet speak with some form of Standard English accent, not American English. Brainstorm abbreviated 'mathematics' as "maths" instead of "math," and Ratchet refers to one's posterior with a word that rhymes with "sparse" rather than a synonym for donkey that rhymes with "mass." Yay for proper English! Although now I don't know what kind of voice to attribute to Ratchet when I'm reading his lines in my head, as we've never had a Ratchet before who spoke in a Standard/non-American English accent. Benedict Cumberbatch's voice perhaps?

Don't forget we're essentially reading what these bots are "saying," so not all of them would have a grasp on the nuances of grammar...

At least that's what I tell myself

Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Don't know why, but I honestly thought Nautica was pulling a MAtrix out of her chest in a really WTF??? moment, then I realised that she was just letting them know that they are her friends.

I'm sure something will come the event, knowing the bots she has with her.

The whole Roller Tarn killing Kaon thing felt forced and out of character and I think it was meant to be. It was Tarn trying to put into place a new order as a direct backlash to the changed Megatron. The fact it may have scored him some points with Overlord, in terms of the team up didn't hurt either.

Who keeps the turbofox as a pet now? Swerve?
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)