Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 414192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic review: More Than Meets The Eye season 2: #28 onwards

Well I hope the fight in issue #54 is worth it - I've lost count of the issues before that have been lead up to this. 8 hours till sunset and I've been reading precursor comics for 8 hours so it's the literary equivalent of that show '24'

Points of interest:
    *Didn't see the whole "Rewinds lost love was turned into a faux-Sparkeater' thing - I mean really didn't see that coming
    *Natuicas bit was sweet. So was Cyclonus talking about how he is not worthy of Tailgate
    *Magnus looks fricken cool in his giant armor!

But yeah, it's the next issue I'm waiting to see. Ya gotta figure at least some of the LL crew die in it

I'm loving how this is building up because it's doing what MTMTE does well - character. Your points above I loved too, especially the Dominus reveal. The way Roberts and Milne plotted the panels and narrative to have both Rewind and Chromosome realising it at the same time was pure comics brilliance. And also Rewind clocking Rodimus in the mouth. So. Good.
    Twit and insta @lukeabarnett

The feels! Right in the feels!! (this is why I love this series )

Feels indeed.

I wonder what Nightbeat and Rung have gotten themselves up to, since they are missing for the action.

I quite enjoyed the Whirl and Cyclonus bits, but the Chromedome stuff bothered me, he never looked like he was dying, but that is the difficulty in still images, they can't show us things that would be nigh impossible to convey through lines and inks.

But another mystery solved.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Because Chromedome seemed be "drained" and not recharging properly, I get why it was hard to artistically represent - but I think the point is valid because the artists have shown so much in previous issues. At least the text was clear that his colour was off, etc.
    Twit and insta @lukeabarnett

I managed to get the feel straight away through the expression in his eyes (visor) being more droopy looking and "flaring up," as well as his slouched posture. It's not so much comic vs animation, but it's just really difficult to visually convey emotions on a character that has no human-like face. It makes you appreciate why Dreamworks gave Movie Optimus Prime a retractable faceplate so that you can see his face emote, and animators in subsequent series (Animated, Prime, RiD2015) have followed suit.

Having a mask makes one feel remote and emotionally detached, which works fine if the character is meant to be like that (e.g. Dark Vader, Kylo Ren etc.) -- but even they had moments where their masks were removed at times when the story needed them to emote directly for the audience (e.g. Anakin's death, Kylo's anguish etc.). RiD2015 has yet to really give us any strong emotional scenes with his face yet, but one of the most powerful moments in TF Prime was when Optimus Prime turned back and smiled at his friends before plunging into Cybertron's core. It reminds me of the way that Shockwave smiled at Orion Pax before they Empurataed... Empuratavit... Empuratavited... Empurataveris... Empurataverit... - whatever the past tense for Empurata is - him!

Latest issue so good and bittersweet

Aww man, I think I had the same reaction as Megatron when Ravage was ripped in half. I'm really liking the bond he seems to have with Ravage. So rare to see Megatron actually care about anyone and the fact that it's a beast-forming cassette is really cool.

The 'traumatic experience = magical upgrades' thing I find pretty hard to swallow. I'd much rather something at least loosely based on the science of at universe, like that Nuke(?) stuff Tarn was addicted to. Or that Ore-13 Shockwave created. Seems like another super-power macguffin was unnecessary and makes no sense considering people in this universe have traumatic experiences all the time. I mean the DJD alone would be creating super-bots left and right.

Poor Skids . I wonder if Cyclonus is ok too? I don't think we see him after Overlord pounds him into the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
    universe have traumatic experiences all the time. I mean the DJD alone would be creating super-bots left and right.
    They already explained that. It's because of the quantum energy the crew has been exposed to through space jumps and time travel that it works instead of everyone.

But I agree an Ore would be a simpler explanation.

Ohhh my bad, I must have missed that along the way. I suppose I can forgive 'quantum energy'