Thread: Comic review: More Than Meets The Eye season 2: #28 onwards

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The issue made me feel a little sorry for Bluestreak.

Nick Roche's cover for #31 gives us headshots of some of the new crew members as well as the old hands:

Cool a NAIL is joining the crew.

RID is one of the best series that I have read.

Are you getting Dipstick (who's a previous part of the crew) and Tappet confused? I don't think any of the others are NAILS (although Nautical possibly is and Cyclonus is)

Guess that I have...

A very enjoyable issue, although Nautica's banter about her name bugs me. It seems that IDW's insistence on embedding the Transformers with Anglo-Terra-centricism is continuing... despite the fact that Nautica has _never_ been to Earth and wouldn't have had contact with Earth languages (let alone Modern English). And please don't tell me that this is all meant to be in "Cybertronian" and that it someone "translates" to Modern English, because I find that incredibly unlikely. It wouldn't even translate over to most other Earth languages, let alone to an alien language. *deep.sigh*

Nightbeat busting Swerve's auditions was hilarious. And the word "Crewditions" is something that is far more plausible because you can believe that Cybertronian languages could have portmanteaus - i.e. combining whatever the Cybertronian word for "crew" and "audition" is into a single word, e.g. if the word for crew is "hop" and the word for audition is "splat," then they could make "hoplat." But the whole thing with Nautica's name seems too implausible to me.

On the other hand, it was interesting to see how the voiceless "th" vowel is difficult for some Cybertronians to pronounce (re: "Eart"). It's believable that the Cybertronians would have borrowed the English word for "Earth" to describe it in their own language (similar to how some words in Australian English (especially some place names) are borrowed from Aboriginal languages, e.g. Parramatta, Joondalup, Wollongong et al.). I appreciate stuff like this - it helps to remind the audience that the Transformers are otherworldly aliens... but then the Nautica thing flies in the complete opposite direction.

"Aaaaaaaaand we're back"
    A great start to the new season, really loving MTMTE being back.
    This was a fun issue with some good comedic moments (Crewditions, death by face-palm, etc) some nice action and crew interactions.
    Feeling really sorry for poor Domey, his depression is so heartbreaking, and having rewind's "I love you" replaced with a horrible scream is really disturbing.... (also it felt strange having him be completely silent when Op took him to Megs' cell)
    The fight between Megs and Whirl was awesome and epic, and I really can't wait to find out who Whirl is working with.
    So many good moments, and so many new mysteries and this is only the start of season 2, so glad I started reading this series.
    Also I totally freaked out at the last page. (you know, when they found the you know what)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    A very enjoyable issue, although Nautica's banter about her name bugs me. It seems that IDW's insistence on embedding the Transformers with Anglo-Terra-centricism is continuing... despite the fact that Nautica has _never_ been to Earth and wouldn't have had contact with Earth languages (let alone Modern English). And please don't tell me that this is all meant to be in "Cybertronian" and that it someone "translates" to Modern English, because I find that incredibly unlikely. It wouldn't even translate over to most other Earth languages, let alone to an alien language. *deep.sigh*
    I would just say don't think about it too much Goki, but how about this as an explanation.
    During her interview Nautica mentions she changed her name from Nautical, because she likes the sound better without the 'L'. Chromia also mentions that Nautica reads, A LOT. Perhaps some of her reading material used the word nautical, so she picked up the word and took it on as a name.
    We have after all seen other characters "randomly decide to change their names." (Have their names changed due to trademark issues)
    Such as Goldfire, Trailcutter, Slug and Tall Tankor
    So just take it as she learned the word from one of the books she read, and took it on as a name because she liked it and felt it fit her.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

Nightbeat busting Swerve's auditions was hilarious. And the word "Crewditions" is something that is far more plausible because you can believe that Cybertronian languages could have portmanteaus - i.e. combining whatever the Cybertronian word for "crew" and "audition" is into a single word, e.g. if the word for crew is "hop" and the word for audition is "splat," then they could make "hoplat." But the whole thing with Nautica's name seems too implausible to me.

On the other hand, it was interesting to see how the voiceless "th" vowel is difficult for some Cybertronians to pronounce (re: "Eart"). It's believable that the Cybertronians would have borrowed the English word for "Earth" to describe it in their own language (similar to how some words in Australian English (especially some place names) are borrowed from Aboriginal languages, e.g. Parramatta, Joondalup, Wollongong et al.). I appreciate stuff like this - it helps to remind the audience that the Transformers are otherworldly aliens... but then the Nautica thing flies in the complete opposite direction.
    In this video - about halfway through - James directly responds to this point. I never have a problem because they're aliens so I go with his point. Everything from their dialogue to the symbols on the ship is translated for us.
    Twit and insta @lukeabarnett