Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebay sellers with possible shill bids

Default Ebay sellers with possible shill bids

We had a recent case of this in the ebay thread so thought perhaps we could spin this out so people can post cases of sellers who may have employed shill bids to drive up the costs so we can be mindful when seeing these sellers.

Been watching a seller called "adelaiderobot" who had some interesting items up for sale recently. There was a KFC citizen stack, unique toys warlord and kids logic optimus. All these were won by a bidder called e***1. Now this person has 0 feedback and looking at adelaiderobot's feedback, this e***1 has been bidding on auctions since mid February this year (can't see feedback beyond this). Now the final prices of those auctions were not over the top but you can see quite a large jump in bid when e***1 is involved. Not 100% certain that this is a shill bidder but if you consider that this person with 0 feedback is able to drop over $500 + postage on 3 transformers within a day or so, they would have won an auction or two since early this year...

I noticed the same thing, I was watching him, I even threw a bid on.
    Seems a little bit suspect in my books though. I've noticed a lot of auctions like this lately.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

you mean Shield bidding. This can be proved by ip addresses and involving Ebay in the investigation.

There are also a number of buyers and sellers that do this. I remembered selling an item and some joker just bidded very high and did not communicate later. It pisses me off as I found out the winner did not even touched the account for 1 year so yes, there are sellers who use this method to crush other seller's items so that their becomes the next best.

I suggest you report to Ebay if you feel that there is an unusual pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    you mean Shield bidding. This can be proved by ip addresses and involving Ebay in the investigation.

There are also a number of buyers and sellers that do this. I remembered selling an item and some joker just bidded very high and did not communicate later. It pisses me off as I found out the winner did not even touched the account for 1 year so yes, there are sellers who use this method to crush other seller's items so that their becomes the next best.

I suggest you report to Ebay if you feel that there is an unusual pattern.
    Actually no, OP is talking about Shill Bidding, in which the seller uses fake (or friends) accounts to push the price of an item higher. Different to Shield bidding which is done by the buyer, who uses fake accounts to push the price of an item higher, then withdraws the bid at the last moment so that their 'real' account wins the item on the cheap.

Both are scams, both suck.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Actually no, OP is talking about Shill Bidding, in which the seller uses fake (or friends) accounts to push the price of an item higher. Different to Shield bidding which is done by the buyer, who uses fake accounts to push the price of an item higher, then withdraws the bid at the last moment so that their 'real' account wins the item on the cheap.

Both are scams, both suck.
    gotcha, I thought they were the same terms. Now I learned it is different for seller.

Is not easy to prove friends accounts but it can be obvious.

gotcha, I thought they were the same terms. Now I learned it is different for seller.

i knew of shill bidding but had never heard of sheild bidding. Thanks for the info!
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

If they keep bidding, then yes, it'll be obvious
    Sometimes all they need is one associate & one bid

Would you call this a shill bidder ->
    http://offer.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...84.m1435.l2777

I think so.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    Would you call this a shill bidder ->
    http://offer.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...84.m1435.l2777

I think so.
    Not even subtle, are they. I reported them.

Would think that they would put in a few 0.99 bids on items that they would lose to spread the bid history rather than go all in on this. Great poster though!