Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30 years ago today-ish - Happy 30th Birthday to Transformers

Talking 30 years ago today-ish - Happy 30th Birthday to Transformers

Apparently on May the 8th in America (which it would now be the early hours of the morning over there), the first official Transformers product was on sale - the comic.

The toys and cartoon would follow later in the year, but the first issue of the "4 issue limited series" was released for sale 30 years ago today.

I wonder if the comic showed up at comic stores here the next day, like they do now. Anyone remember that far back?

So, happy birthday to the Transformers today. It is now officially, 30 years old.

Do we have anyone who is 30 this year, or has their birthday on May 8th?

For those of you who are older than 30, what were you doing that year, and when did you end up getting into Transformers?

For those of you who are younger than The Transformers, what series was around when you first got into Transformers, and how has the Brand been for you since then?

(share a little bit about your time with this hobby of yours, and how much longer you imagine you'll still be a fan)

That's very cool to know thanks for the heads up

Don't really recall the comic at all but definitely do recall my first experience of Transformers back in the day. Must have been late 84 early 85. Kmart in Dandenong had an instore video playing at the end of the aisle; was the first episode of more than meets the eye pilot. As an 8 year old I was blown away by the characters, the lasers, the ...... Transforming! I can distinctly recall the part where wheeljack and bumblebee are climbing out the grates of the underground base with cylinders of energon.

Left a huge impression on me. I was hooked. Bring on the 30th memories!

Back in 1984, I had just watched my first Japanese mecha anime in Hong Kong - Golden Lightan, which brainwashed me with the belief that good always triumphs over evil.

This, combined with my love of giant robots, and having seen Macross (though a lot of those themes were too deep for a 5 year old) would prepare me mentally for the Transformers US cartoon, which is how I was introduced to the world of Transformers.

My first toy was Pipes, and my first Decepticon was Soundwave. I loved the box art on the back of Soundwave's packaging, and that was one of the things that got me really interested in drawing robots.

I was about 1 and a half. I don't have a specific first memory, I have always had Transformers as a part of my life
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I was born in the 70's. I loved Transformers so much that while in Thredbo, my cousin and I entered a talent show and sang the theme song. I think I was 7-8 years old at the time.

When Beast Wars arrived I was well into high school and I grew apart from TF because of study (asian parents) and better shows (Re-Boot, yeah I know it's two years older than BW but it's CG still looked better).
    Animated pulled me back in and since then I've tracked down and watched the Cybertron trilogy and Prime.

May they rock on for another 30 years. Til all are one.
    Last edited by CBratron; 8th May 2014 at 10:22 PM.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

I never saw any comic book stores during the 1980s -- got all my Transformers comics from newsagents. It wasn't until the 90s that I discovered comic book stores.

What to say.. what to say.. Happy Birthday Transformers, you are a hardy bunch of tin cans. Many properties have come and gone but you are a rare breed made of sterner stuff. We are indeed lucky to have 30 years of toys and stories about Trucks, Rats, Planets and Maniacs to occupy our shelves and thoughts. From The Matrix to the Allspark, we thank you.

So to all the 'bots and the 'chops, we combine our thoughts and say may your transformation cogs last another 30 years of re-invention.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

One of my first memories is watching Transformers as a 2 year old

30 years later and 1699 figures, I couldn't imagine my life in any different way.

I am looking forward to the next 30 years

I had just turned 5 six days before this milestone. It would be possibly nearly a year before TFs entered my life, buying Powerglide and Gears at Target Waverley Gardens. Not sure when I first saw the cartoon on The Early Bird Show and it was the end of 1986 before I saw the comic. That five year old had no idea what was coming or how TFs would be a lifelong passion.

nice little bit of info, thx for sharing. I know it was 30th Anniversary but didn't know the exact date