Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Complex/Complicated Transformations!

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love BT Grimlock. He looks great in both modes and is an excellent example of what Transformers can be. But anyone that says that the transformation is easy, or even intuitive, is lying.
    I don't know about intuitive but I distinctly recall enjoying it. I'm going to have to get that guy out and revisit him.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Yeah, I do appreciate how they tried to bulk up the look of the robot mode for BT Grimlock (although it looks weird on Wheeljack -- I guess he's on 'roids )... but that transformation... gah!

I'm not a big fan of Movie toys, but Human Alliance Jazz is superb - challenging, intuitive/fun, quality toy, rolls like a dream even with next to zero underside clearance - an engineering marvel!

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Binaltech Grimlock/Wheeljack.
    Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    No matter how many times I've transformed this, there is not a single time I've done it without searching online for photos and wasting anything less than half an hour.

To your point overall, I like complex transformations but they need to be intuitive. They need to make sense. Complication for complication's sake is something I do not like and BT Grimlock/Wheeljack are too great examples of that. Satisfying in both modes but frustrating/irritating to transform.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Yeah, I think the problem with toys like BT Grimlock & Wheeljack is that they suffer from having rather counter-intuitive transformations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouki View Post
    Binaltech Grimlock is a great toy for making you want to throw things at the wall *and* proving that deep down you hate yourself and feel you deserve bad things to happen to you. It's overly complex to the point where it's not fun or satisfying.
    Don't get me wrong, I love BT Grimlock. He looks great in both modes and is an excellent example of what Transformers can be. But anyone that says that the transformation is easy, or even intuitive, is lying.
    Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Love the paint job on Binaltech Wheeljack. Transformation was hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Yeah, I do appreciate how they tried to bulk up the look of the robot mode for BT Grimlock (although it looks weird on Wheeljack -- I guess he's on 'roids )... but that transformation... gah!

Wow I have both Grimlock and Wheeljack and didn't encounter a single problem with them. And I'm the guy who gave up on Energon Mirage and ROTF Scalpel. I'm rather surprised with this outpouring of frustration over these two figures. Maybe my brain is counter-inutitive so that I have troubles with transformations that others find easy and vice-versa.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I must be othe only person in the world who likes Binaltech Wheeljack?
    I'm with you UM, didn't have any issues at all!

To OP: do you have a budget/is there a specific amount you're willing to spend? A budget might help us recommend a figure.

I'd like to add Age of Extinction to this list... the toy itself isn't necessarily complex to transform, but damn those side panels are nauseatingly tricky!

I had a look at my friends toy & i wouldn't consider Crosshairs a difficult transformation. A bit fiddly, yes, but he's wearing his car mode on his back. All he has to do is put his arms by his sides & fall forwards... and tuck his cape in of course

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    I had a look at my friends toy & i wouldn't consider Crosshairs a difficult transformation. A bit fiddly, yes, but he's wearing his car mode on his back. All he has to do is put his arms by his sides & fall forwards... and tuck his cape in of course
    Yeah I actually found him disappointingly easy for a deluxe. Maybe you got a bad one Gok

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Maybe you got a bad one Gok
    I think I did, because after I refunded my first one, the second one was a lot easier to transform (i.e. it was doable! - the first one was just impossible). But even on my second and 'easier' Crosshairs, I gotta fiddle and jiggle the tabs around a bit to make them lock in (and I also have to do the same to unlock them when transforming back to robot mode too). It's not so much complex or complicated but just fiddly because the tabs seem to have such a low tolerance for imprecision; kinda like AoE First Edition Leader Class Optimus Prime, only somehow even more irritating (possibly because it's trickier for adult thumbs/fingers to manipulate the smaller parts). So I'll say that Crosshairs is one of the fiddlier toys out there, prefaced with the disclaimer that it's subject to QC.

There's a difference between fiddley and complex/complicated.
    But I'm not going to get into that here... its too complex and complicated.

Cheaper complex puzzleformers:
    WFC Optimus Prime
    WFC Bumblebee (think this one has already got a few votes)
    DOTM Voyager Optimus
    BW Ramhorn (love this, but always seem to stuff it up)

More expensive:
    Alternators Wheeljack (my record for transforming this was 40mins! such a pain I sold it).
    TF Figs of 2023:
    1) WnR Springer
    2) Legacy Bludgeon
    3) Legacy Leo Prime/Nemesis Leo Prime.