• Only if cheap

3 18.75%
  • Only if (something else)

2 12.50%
  • No

2 12.50%
  • Not even interested

3 18.75%

Thread: Toy Review - Age of Extinction Galvatron (Voyager)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Toy Review - Age of Extinction Galvatron (Voyager)

GALVATRON
    Series - Transformers Generations
    Sub-line – Age of Extinction
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco – New
    Wave – 2, 2014
    Released here - June 2014
    Approximate Retail Price - $50
    Approximate Size – 18cm
    Allegiance -Decepticon
    Alternate mode – 2012 Freightliner Argosy
    Main Features/Gimmicks – missile launcher
    Main Colours – cobalt grey, silver, black
    Main Accessories – missile launching gun

Pictures

Thoughts

Simplistic shellformer. Galvatron is the ultimate backpack former, with most of his truck mode formed from his collapsable backpack! The remaining portion folds out from his legs.

The truck parts are nicely painted and there are some nice sculpting details and a few notable paint apps on the robot mode, overall the robot mode is sorely lacking in colour and really needs more to break up all that dull looking grey. It would've been nice if the hubcaps had been painted too, especially given the lack of paints on the robot mode; Hound also suffers from unpainted hubcaps, but at least his robot mode is well decoed - what's Galvatron's excuse? I wish the robot mode had waist articulation, although it has a lot of hip articulation which kinda compensates.

The truck mode looks rubbish from behind -- even worse than First Edition or Evasion Mode Optimus Prime as the robot parts are immediately visible. This toy feels like a person wearing a transforming box-forming cosplay. The feet also don't lock in firmly. And for some reason there's a hole in the middle of Galvatron's chest.

I also find the style of packaging for this line to be somewhat lazy. As the first AoE Decepticon released in Generations, I was surprised to see that the box still features a lot of Autobot insignias on a Decepticon toy! The only full Decepticon logo is the one that appears next to Galvatron's name on the front. Otherwise it feels like that this packaging is trying to tell me that this toy is an Autobot! His tech specs bio is utter garbage as it just describes the premise for Age of Extinction and tells us nothing about Galvatron himself! The word "Galvatron" doesn't even appear in the bio!

Overall
    I personally consider this toy to be the second worst AoE Voyager (I still find Grimlock the worst as his alt mode is a greater fail than Galvy's IMO). Not recommended.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 19th June 2014 at 08:08 PM.