Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast

Thread: MP Ultra Magnus Official Pics

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Wonder if they even want to correct it at this point as may cost them money to redo.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Wonder if they even want to correct it at this point as may cost them money to redo.
    they could just put a sticker over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Krayt is right. You changed the 5th instruction from 90 degrees to 180 degrees. 90 degrees was correct, 180 isn't. And will probably break off his foot.
    Crap. I hadn't noticed that.

However, as I said before...
    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    One problem was that we had a VERY short time frame to complete this project. I was literally only given three days to do translate/adapt the booklet! And I was really sick on the 2nd day, and had to go to work on the 1st and 3rd days. In fact, I didn't start working on it until the evening of Day 1.
    ...so be aware that this work was done in a hurry, and while I was unwell.
    Considering that this toy is going to be released in the Asian markets in 8 days' time, it'd be too late for Hasbro to do anything. Perhaps we could spread the word among the fandom? I can make a simple explanatory graphic that people can copy and share.

Hopefully someone at Hasbro was double checking, otherwise I hope that people can look at the illustration and deduce the correct transformation for themselves. Hasbro (Hong Kong) did initially attempt to translate the entire booklet themselves, but when Hasbro AU saw it, they realised that the English was just bad... as if they'd just run it through Google Translate. Here's a comparison:

L-R: Original TakTOM, my translation, Hasbro's initial translation

And that was one of the better parts of Hasbro's translation. They had all sorts of other gems like this one...

Be aware that I am not a professional translator and I was working on my own (even when I used to fansub anime, I was working as part of a team!). And as I said, I had a very limited amount of time to do it, and I was sick (on top of my day-job and family commitments)! I would love to show my latest translation job to someone else to proof-check, but that would mean violating the non-disclosure statement that I have with Hasbro. Perhaps as soon as news of that toy is released, someone might volunteer to proof-read and I can send them a copy of my translation/adaptation... but it might still be too late by then. Hopefully there aren't any major errors in the latest one.

Oh well, it's not the end of the world!

Now that one of us has had first hand experience, perhaps we'll all be a little more sympathetic of Hasbro & Takara Tomy when instructions are poor or have errors in the future - everyone makes mistakes!

Thank you for your understanding, kurdt_the_goat.
    In any case, I've made this corrective graphic here. Please feel free to share it on social media etc. and help get the word out.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Hasbro (Hong Kong) did initially attempt to translate the entire booklet themselves, but when Hasbro AU saw it, they realised that the English was just bad... as if they'd just run it through Google Translate. Here's a comparison:

L-R: Original TakTOM, my translation, Hasbro's initial translation
    I assumed that would have been the case. Ultimately I've been thinking it's one of those amazing coincidences - you're a bilingual Japanese teacher whose Transformer role model (favourite character?) is Ultra Magnus - what are the chances that they'd get you (and vice versa) for this project. (Yes, you're the obvious choice for Griffin to recommend, but it does seem like a lot of stars aligned.) As long as the person transforming the toy looks at the picture and assumes they have to stop there rather than continuing through the full 180 degrees, hopefully it shouldn't be a big problem.

Megatran Guest

Pfff. No big deal. I would be concerned & a little pee'd off if the actual toy had major QC issues.

Don't get too beat up Gok. What a great experience. Many of us wouldn't have this opportunity in our lifetime.

I assumed that would have been the case. Ultimately I've been thinking it's one of those amazing coincidences - you're a bilingual Japanese teacher whose Transformer role model (favourite character?) is Ultra Magnus - what are the chances that they'd get you (and vice versa) for this project. (Yes, you're the obvious choice for Griffin to recommend, but it does seem like a lot of stars aligned.)
    I couldn't believe my luck.
    As long as the person transforming the toy looks at the picture and assumes they have to stop there rather than continuing through the full 180 degrees, hopefully it shouldn't be a big problem.
    It may also be the case that the lower legs simply cannot rotate beyond 90 degrees, much like on G1 Ultra Magnus. <shrugs>
    Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Pfff. No big deal. I would be concerned & a little pee'd off if the actual toy had major QC issues.

Don't get too beat up Gok. What a great experience. Many of us wouldn't have this opportunity in our lifetime.
    Thanks, dude.

Have you considered getting in touch with TrU themselves, Goki?
    if you were to send the correction out to them, i don't see why they couldn't email it to the stores to use as an attachment, or have printed copies at the registers to hand out to purchasing customers, or some other form of notice to inform the customers

I wouldn't worry about it Gok. It's not like You have ruined Hasbro's perfect track record with instruction accuracy. Was it Hasbro MP Thundercracker that had the MP-03 instructions even though the mould was MP-11? And the world continued to spin

You did a great job given the circumstances. Anyone with half a brain is going to see how to do it properly.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain