Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to the Megatron Club?

Default What happened to the Megatron Club?

More of a curiosity than anything, but does anybody know what happened to Tibor Csupo and the Megatron Club? I used to be a member in order to "legally" own my MP-05 Megatron, but stopped receiving the e-mails and annual renewal requests a few years ago after that news about clubs requiring approval.

Probably shouldn't be advertising it on a public forum, but looks like I'm now technically a criminal :-P

There was a change in state laws a few years ago, last I heard/researched Victorians were in the clear.... I don't think anyone bothers to check any more.... evidenced by MP-05 being available in "retail" shops around the city (Retail = import stores etc)

Note: I tried to get megs on my gun license once... the District Firearms officer laughed at me!

Note: MP-05G came in ok, no need to get approval

I don't mind looking up the Vic regulations again.... but I think the club was more for those north of the boarder.

Shhhhh... you don't talk about Fight Club...

Let's just say all of us NSW members are members of the Megatron Club and let's move on...

*walks away whistling....

On a serious note I thought Tiby posted something about this not too long ago. I'll try track the thread down.

Update: Link to post.
    Last edited by Raider; 6th February 2015 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Thread found

Megatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    There was a change in state laws a few years ago, last I heard/researched Victorians were in the clear.... I don't think anyone bothers to check any more.... evidenced by MP-05 being available in "retail" shops around the city (Retail = import stores etc)

Note: I tried to get megs on my gun license once... the District Firearms officer laughed at me!

I don't mind looking up the Vic regulations again.... but I think the club was more for those north of the boarder.
    Is that true for Victoria? Now I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Is that true for Victoria? Now I'm confused.
    I looked it up after I posted earlier... Vic just needs a "chief commissioners approval", which is about 170 and has a list of questions/points you need to answer, over about 10 sections.

The main condition on Imitation Firearms is:
    " Limited to genuine collectors who can demonstrate the theme of their collection, defence, historical re- enactment, commercial/trading (retail), martial arts (if applicable)."

So as transformer collectors, and Megs being part of the collection, you cover this.

Nearly every section asks "Why your needs cannot be met by non-prohibited weapons.", and well saying that you need a TRANSFORMER for your TRANSFORMER COLLECTION" covers you pretty well.

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/retriev...&status=active

I'm still working on the info guide for Gun-Formers, and the Victorian section is the following...

VICTORIA (Legal - with Police Commissioner Approval letter)
    Contact details
    1300 651 645
    licensingregulation@police.vic.gov.au
    http://www.police.vic.gov.au (Firearms Division)
    Fact sheet about imitation weapons here, plus more info here and here.

Requirements:
    To import - A chief commissioner approval letter ($178.70) - AND - Customs Import Permit (form B709B) - info sheet here
    To purchase domestically - (yet to determine, but doesn't look like anything else is needed if you already have the "approval letter" to own one)
    To own - (No Licence or registration needed) A chief commissioner approval letter ($178.70).
    To Sell - A chief commissioner approval letter ($178.70)

Note - you only need the one approval letter to cover you, but if you buy any more Gun-Formers, you will need to have it adjusted to include the new ones.
    The Approval Letter asks for a lot of things, but nothing too difficult to legally own your Gun-Formers.

If you have already have a license to own or purchase working handguns, you only need an import permit each time you import an imitation weapon.
    (the import permit is a once only use for each time you import imitation guns of any amount)

The NSW section is proving difficult to put together because it looks to be the only state that treats imitation weapons the same as real weapons... but there are still exceptions to registration or licensing, which I have to find out for sure haven't changed since the Megatron Gun club was set up about seven years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The NSW section is proving difficult to put together because it looks to be the only state that treats imitation weapons the same as real weapons...
    I'm sure this is not likely to change any time soon either, especially with the events of last December.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Seriously Griff, you need to make a sticky for this topic somewhere mate. About 3 times a year this topic with the same queries comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    I don't think anyone bothers to check any more.... evidenced by MP-05 being available in "retail" shops around the city (Retail = import stores etc)

Seriously - has ANYONE in Aus actually gotten charged for owning an MP Megatron? And if so was it even remotely recent? I really don't think with all the heavy stuff going down in our communities than anyone except the most pedantic of cops would care. And I bet no one is checking houses for them. All my neighbours own REAL guns - the coppers round here couldn't give two shits that I own a little toy robot that turns into a fake firearm and I would get openly laughed at if I brought it to their attention.

My advice, just don't worry about it. Unless you make a massive deal of it I don't think anyone in authority gives a crap - they have bigger fish to fry.

I have to disagree. I know it seems like one of those things that they don't enforce but why take the risk? I had to fill out a few forms and join a Club. On top of that they waived (I presume they still do) the licence fee and that was it. I have a pretty looking licence that lasts for 5 years (renewed easily) and no worries about whether the cops are going to come knocking on my door (errr well unless they are doing an inspection which hasn't happened once in 7 years).

Then again I'm a stickler for the rules so it wasn't really an option for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Seriously Griff, you need to make a sticky for this topic somewhere mate. About 3 times a year this topic with the same queries comes up.
    I am, but it is a huge project, so it is taking time to complete... around all the other things taking up my time.