Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345671222 ... LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece MP-23 Exhaust

Well maybe this will go well as an adversary for G2 Sideswipe. Seems to be an accurate homage of the diaclone. Not thrilled about the name.

I love the fact that we are finally getting an official Marlboro toy version of Wheeljack within the Transformers universe. Just a shame that it will be an expensive toy just to have that "character".

I agree that this should follow existing JP Masterpiece numbering, in that a new number should only go to pre-existing characters. They barely got away with MP-2 Ultra Magnus by including the cardboard trailer (as a white deco Optimus on its own does not make an original Gen1 Ultra Magnus), but this sets a dangerous precedent, as it could blow out the numbers if everyone got a new number now, ruining the premium "selectiveness" of the Masterpiece line.
    Black Rodimus and Nemesis Prime were new-ish characters that were redecos, and got sub-numbers (a letter at the end of an existing number), as did Tigertrack who was exactly like Marlboro Wheeljack (a pre-Transformers toy).
    Even Soundblaster should have got his own number over this one, as it had Ratbat in that set.
    Maybe they had already allocated 24 to Star Saber, so had to fill the gap with this figure instead because nothing else would be ready before March.

As for the name... Exhaust?
    Is it supposed to be a pun on (Marlboro) cigarettes?
    It's a bit of a stretch, is an awkward word for a name, so I think something else catchy should have been used.
    Drag would be a better pun, but unfortunately that word is already the Japanese name for Gen1 Huffer. Cancer would have been good too, but again, already a Japanese TFs name.
    Names related to Wheeljack...
    Rampage was the Japanese name for Wheeljack in Armada/Superlink... but would be a problem if they ever did MP Predacons, which rules that name out just in case.
    Downshift was the Hasbro name being used for "Wheeljack" during Energon because Aaron Archer thought the word Wheeljack was too evil for an Autobot... but again, another Gen1 name. (I doubt they'd ever do MP Omnibots, but they probably don't want to prevent themselves from being able to use if it a potential redeco opportunity comes along)
    Does anyone have any better name ideas, since they can't call it Marlboro.

I like how it looks, but I don't think it really should have had its own number. Star Saber I can understand, but this guy, he should have been MP-20E or MP-20M.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Interesting idea this Diaclone homage. On the one hand it's pretty cool, on the other hand for me the new MP series is all about very G1 toon influenced toys (aside from G2 Sideswipe).

So not sure If I'll bite but still interesting.

This begs the question why not make Diaclone Bluestreak in blue though.

I also wonder if they will ever do a Slicer repaint, they did G2 Sideswipe after all.

I agree with the numbering being wrong. I Don't know why this is MP23 when its just a variation of MP20 and a nothing character. Glad I am not collecting all the MP's.

As a side note, if anyone wants Marlboro waterslide or vinyl decals for this you can get them for 1:18 scale model cars on ebay (about $10-$15 a set). They are made for all the HDT cars that were sponsored by Marlboro during the 1970's and 1980's. They are good quality as I have got some for the Brock cars in my collection.
    Spiderken Away!

I'll be honest, I had no idea who/what this guy was and had to look it up. He looks alright to me, but not enough to buy at this point.

Never heard of 'Exhaust'

Exhaust... You had me at hello! lol

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

May be a let down that they start "trying" the bt line of inventing new characters and pop a new head and wah la we now have a decepticon car. Thank god they not pulling a fast one using mp 11 and say this is jet fire.

If it is a Marlboro car is a definite sell point.
    But is only coloured without the Marlboro decals?

I am okay with this for now, beats nothing anyway.
    I think I will pond about it while I pre order starsaber first.

I am interested in his weapons.

I'm surprised he is MP-23 and not MP-20X or E or whatever. I have every main line MP, I'm only missing recolours, but this might be the first MP I wait to see if he shelf warms. Since he is not a real G1 character I couldn't care less and only want him because I have all the other MP's.