Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Magnificence (spoiler alert)

Default The Magnificence (spoiler alert)

Just wondering about the "Magnificence" that is mentioned in those IDW Spotlight issues.

Can anyone tell me if this thing is an IDW invention or whether it existed in the older US and/or UK comics?

It seems to me to be basically a cross between the Matrix (as seen in the comics) and the Underbase (also from the comics) (and an awfully convenient way of wrapping the story up quickly ).

I grow weary of these plot devices...

Gah... I'm not looking forward to this...
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

It has no backstory, it was the mcguffin in the Hotrod Spotlight.

Or was it???

Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Its not really Furman's fault that things are wrapping up very, very quickly. IDW changed direction, hence the GeeWun-friendly, Everybody From 1984-1985 storyline All Hail Megatron.

However, it is Furman's fault that his storylines were not selling very well, forcing IDW to change direction.

Quote Originally Posted by FFN View Post
    Its not really Furman's fault that things are wrapping up very, very quickly. IDW changed direction, hence the GeeWun-friendly, Everybody From 1984-1985 storyline All Hail Megatron.

However, it is Furman's fault that his storylines were not selling very well, forcing IDW to change direction.
    I think it really hurt him that his story really wasn't a series that you could jump in at any point and catch up on what was going on, you really needed to go back and get the earlier issues you had missed.

I'll be very interested in seeing how the sales for AHM (and to a lesser extent Reign of Starscream) compare to Furman's stories.

-EDIT-
    I've also added in my thoughts about Spotlight: Doubledealer, with no plot spoilers, if there ends up being a DoubleDealer thread, feel free to move it into that thread:

Spotlight Doubledealer is yet another comic that really cannot be called a Spotlight. Unlike the two previous Spotlights, Doubledealer bounces around the IDW Furmanverse with a new location every other page, yet there is no real loss of focus, everything is so intertwined and connected that it's rather freaky how well this is all paying off.

I feel there is too much to finalise and wrap up in Spotlight Sideswipe, but I really hope that I am wrong, it would be a shame for all the work that Furman and his fellow IDW stablemates have put into the series to have it end on a bit of a dud note due to being rushed in favour for the so far underwhelming All Hail Megatron series.

Khanna's art is clean, colours are darker than the rest of the series, but it's the right choice for this issue, it really suits the story and settings.

There are so many interesting plot points that I would love to see get more page time, but due to the ending of the "-tion" series, I highly doubt this is going to happen.
    Last edited by i_amtrunks; 22nd August 2008 at 09:56 PM.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I have no doubt AHM (at least in the short term) will do very well for IDW compared to Furman's stories, because McCarthy basically went back to the most basic common denominator of Transformers storylines: Things blowing up on Earth. It's very easy for new readers to get into, particularly if all they remember is the G1 cartoon, that's why the cast is restricted to the 1984-1985 bots.

What concerns me are the retcons and continuity errors he's created along the way, such as the fact the seekers are F-15s again. He's also said he would not be using the facsimile constructs the Decepticons were using to pull the strings of Earth politics, or Ore-13, which was the only reason the Decepticons and Autobots were fighting so hard over Earth. This planet was considered a backwater, far from the frontlines of their galactic war.

Check out AHM issue 2 for a rule Furman established in Spotlight Optimus Prime evidently being broken.
    Last edited by FFN; 23rd August 2008 at 10:27 AM.

Sam: The Magnificence actually originated from Mattel, but IDW changed the name and look of the artifact so as not to anger Hasbro.

*shake.shake.shake* "Has Dealer betrayed us?"

Quote Originally Posted by FFN View Post
    What concerns me are the retcons and continuity errors he's created along the way, such as the fact the seekers are F-15s again. He's also said he would not be using the facsimile constructs the Decepticons were using to pull the strings of Earth politics, or Ore-13, which was the only reason the Decepticons and Autobots were fighting so hard over Earth. This planet was considered a backwater, far from the frontlines of their galactic war.

Check out AHM issue 2 for a rule Furman established in Spotlight Optimus Prime evidently being broken.
    I don't know about all the problems. A lot could be easily explained.
    Being set a year later lets a lot of flexibility. The Ore-13 could have been all used up or mined and obtained by the Decepticons. During that time the seeks could have just decided to change alt modes for one reason or another.
    They are also not using facesmiles because they are now engaging attacks openly against the humans.
    And when it comes to the rule being broken, it could be that they have just improved the process.
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|