Page 26 of 307 FirstFirst ... 61621222324252627282930313646 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamato & Bandai Macross Toys

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    I sure would like to see Meister-levels of custom work on a Macross toy Gamblor!
    From what I've seen of Tober's Macross toys they're quite fiddly and delicate. I don't think I'll ever try to customize one.
    I will however pick up the new 1/48 Hasegawa VF-1 kit though *drool*

Yeah, i have an original release YF-19 but the left shoudler is broken (you might remember, hereticpoo had it up for sale). No biggy since i would probably only display in fighter mode regardless - but i've been meaning to get my wife to speak to Yamato about a replacement

If you manage to get a replacement arm that'll be the best $25 you ever spent!
    MEGATRON Without PRIME is like Bacon without Eggs.

True, but it establishes precedent - now it's a lot harder to spend the $200+ on the other Valks i want!

I started watching Macross Plus last night and was very impressed with the animation quality for its age! I can already tell i'm going to be disappointed that it's only 4 episodes long though.

Also, i'm 3/4 through Robotech and have mostly enjoyed it - is it worth hunting down the original Macross in subbed form?

I started watching Macross Plus last night and was very impressed with the animation quality for its age! I can already tell i'm going to be disappointed that it's only 4 episodes long though.

Also, i'm 3/4 through Robotech and have mostly enjoyed it - is it worth hunting down the original Macross in subbed form?
    I suppose If you have Robotech, you don't really need Macross, unless you are a die hard Macross fan like me. I have Macross, but not Robotech.

The only real differences (aside from names) are that Protocuture is the Zentran name for alien culture/ the original creator races culture, not some whizz bang fuel. There was huge war (The Unification War) after the Macross crashed to earth, and everything after the first series of Robotech mever happened.

You would probably be better of tracking down a copy of the Macross Do you Remember Love movie which is a re-telling of much of the story, with a movie budget. It's significantly older than Macross Plus but the animation is well done so it still holds up well, even today.

Macross Plus is one of my favourte Macross series, though I slightly prefer the movie (mix) version as the ending is better. Although its a short series, it means they manage to maintain quality all the way through, compared to Macross 7 which was made at the same time. Macross Zero is another one to look for. In my opinion Zero and Plus are still technicaly a little flashier than even Macross Frontier. (Although Macross Frontier is still damn good for a TV budget)

There is a movie edition too, it isn't much different tho, basically just a 'director's cut' with a little new footage.

Only if you really want to see the differences. The main plot difference is that Protoculture is what it sounds like instead of an energy source. Roy's character is slightly more complex. About the biggest single difference is in the relationship between Rick, Lisa and Minmay with Kyle at the end:

SPOILER:
    - it makes more sense why Minmay chooses to walk away.

I prefer Mari Iijima over Reba West, but there are times I prefer the Robotech score over Macross's.

Otherwise 'Do You Remember Love?' is an amazing movie versions of the Macross series. And 'Flashback 2012' contains what was supposed to be the "ending" although it was left out of the movie for budget reasons and remains more of an music video collection and epilogue (the new animation is beautiful tho).

EDIT: Yeah, Zed beat me to it :P
    Last edited by Tober; 10th November 2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Lord_Zed strikes again
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Quote Originally Posted by Tober View Post
    I prefer Mari Iijima over Reba West, but there are times I prefer the Robotech score over Macross's.
    +1 I can't stand the english Minmei songs anymore, however when watching Macross I do miss the added background music used in Robotech to build tension. Particularly for the Zentradei scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tober View Post

EDIT: Yeah, Zed beat me to it :P
    Great minds think alike, or is that fools seldom differ.

Not many posts here for a while!
    Big blowout on Macross Quarter here

IMO, it's looking pretty average. The video showing explicit leg collapse especially, but also the colours and ultimately, not a whole lot of transformation for your $$.

Still hoping next years' VF-27 lives up to expectations though!

Few more pics here

Macross Quater looks pretty good to me, about as big a Macross as I can afford to get, at any rate.

The VF 27 looks pretty good in the pics I've seen too. Though it will likely have the same issues as the rest of the Bandai Macross Chogokin line.

Still I'm satisfied with my 2 Bandai Macross purchases so far, so I'll be getting both.

FYI: HLJ.com is having a Yamato Figure Super-Sale including many 1/60 Valks. Pity they chose before X-Mas to do it .

Not many posts here for a while!
    Not much to report really. There is an unassembled version of Yamato's VF-1S coming in Febuary ( I have 2 on order ). Also Bandai have shown prototype pics for their VF-1S 1/100 Hi-Metal line (nothing spectacular imo).
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Damn that's evil of them!

I was going to get the VF 11c when it came out, but the VF 11b for $165 is hard to pass up.

Edit: You win this round HLJ, gald I didn't get anything in the previous Xmas sale though, this ones better. If only there were free shipping, though then I'd go crazy.
    Last edited by Lord_Zed; 12th December 2009 at 02:49 AM.