Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: JP/HK Masterpiece Ultra Magnus coming to ToysRUs Australia

Great news and it does look awesome, but my days of spending $300 per figure are over. I wouldn't be able to justify this to the wife. Oh well, looks like I'll be sticking with my Titanium version.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    $299.99
    SKN 086323
    400 units total. 2 shipments allocated ( 1st ETA February 260 units + ETA: 04/04/15 160 units)
    If they time it with a 20% off sale that brings it down to ~$240 which isn't too bad.
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Phoenix View Post
    If they time it with a 20% off sale that brings it down to ~$240 which isn't too bad.
    That would be a price I'd be happy to pay for such a large figure. $300 is just a little too steep. I'd love to support TRU in this endeavour but when I can get is a fair amount cheaper online it is an easy decision.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

that's pretty cool! like most of us here though I think getting it online overseas is probably the way to go but I think it's great that they seem to be trying at least

Megatran Guest

Hats off to TRU Oz.

It's great that we have members here that are so dedicated to TF - who had a hand in getting this here and improving the Australian retail situation... But I can't help but feel completely indifferent towards it cause of that price.

Even as a single purchaser, most of us will probably only be paying around 1/2 or 2/3 of that, to get the Japanese release (and to our doors!).

As a bulk import, it should be a damn sight cheaper and only looks like they're doing it to make a buck (or several hundred!) rather than help out the local community.

It coming out so close to the Japanese release only makes it more obvious. A high price is more understandable when they get something in that has long since sold out of it's initial release overseas - that becomes a great option for someone who misssed out.

But this... as much as i appreciate the effort of our members, this release really shouldn't be supported in my mind - hope all you have your preorders in online already!

I think that it would be fair to exercise your right to choose where you would like to purchase from due to the freedoms provided to you through technology, import policy, etc, but I think that you should try and be more understanding to aussie retailers trying to make this accessible.

the higher price than the one afforded to you from overseas counterparts isn't all mark-up. don't the physical retailers need to pay 10% gst? and wages for staff/costs for storage, logistics, storefront rental, business overheads.

they are helping the local community by making this piece accessible, but they are also a business which needs to turn a profit after paying off costs. to say that this release shouldn't be supported is saying that you wish to continue to cripple the availability of similar items locally.

HA!!

I nearly called it in talking to a mate on skype back in October...

28/10/2014 13:07

apparantly there is rumors of gen leader ultra magnus

putting it out there now... gok's project was extra details onto Magnus to make fans happy....

or box bio

or something
    Was off the leder Magnus rumors, not MP though

Quote Originally Posted by xlojnr View Post
    to say that this release shouldn't be supported is saying that you wish to continue to cripple the availability of similar items locally.
    And to buy it is saying that you're ok paying what they know is an exorbitant price, letting them know they can do it again in the future and maybe for even more!

People balked at the $250 MP Ghost Starscream a few years ago (can probably still grab one for that price at your local TRU as well!) and this is really no different.

The reality is it barely matters at all if the item is available locally these days. Have you seen the gaming departments of Kmart, Myer, David Jones, Dick Smith? They've almost or completely removed them due to inability to compete. Similarly, i'd rather we had no TF's locally than everything being overpriced.

At $300 I think Ultra Magnus represents better value than say Ghost Starscream at $250. Anyway it may seem like an extreme price, but they are almost certain to have a sale eg. Was $300, pay $250 save $50! Which brings it down close enough to what it would cost to import it anyway.