View Poll Results: To Bumbee, or not to Bumblebee?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • HELLS YEAH

48 69.57%
  • Maybe, if the Price is right

14 20.29%
  • Don't care

2 2.90%
  • Nah, Probably not matey.

4 5.80%
  • HELLS NOOOOOOOOO

1 1.45%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy review - Masterpiece Bumblebee and Spike

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    At the risk of derailing the thread - although that boat might have transformed into a robot and walked off into the sunset already - are you referring to MP-10 in general or EVA Prime specifically? I'm basically after a different colour scheme to differentiate from MP-01 and I'm a fan of Evangelion so it has appeal to me even with the high price.
    Was referring to mp-10 in general.
    The Eva one is personal taste. I love Eva but I don't connect with these two universe. Not saying Eva prime is bad either, just not for me.

Back to bee, was wondering what are their plans for the next colour scheme.

Overall I'm happy with my Bumblebee however all the panel lines look really off and I know they're there for transformation purposes but some are really noticeable and off putting. The split in the door for the foot for example and the swivel for the insignia while a nice feature the square box on both modes really looks out of place.

Aside from those gripes he is a great figure I love how he can hold his own accessories underneath him. Does any one know what size scale he is compared to a real beetle? Kinda wish there was one around here to look at.

One other thing to note this is the first MP Transformer to draw blood from me I was trying to remove his face to put the smiling faceplate on and when I hooked my nail on the top of his head to pry it off it was extremely tight. When I did get it off the top of his face went right under my nail and split the skin. So yeah exercise caution when changing his face.

Question

Brilliant. Clever. Excellent.

This is by far my favourite of the MP Cars, and indeed the best MP figure that I've come across since MP-1 10 years ago! Transforming from an accurate looking VW Beetle to a physics/reality-defying kibble-disappearing G1 show-accurate robot is no easy feat, but this toy pulls it off surprisingly well. There are just so many clever 'tricks' in the transformation that help to tuck away all the vehicle parts in robot mode. It's effectively doing what the Age of Extinction toys are also trying to do, but succeeding! There is no "backpack-forming" or "parts forming" on this toy; at least, no where near the degree that we see on AoE figures. The only notable vehicle kibble is the roof-canopy on the back, which tucks in pretty nicely and is rather aesthetically pleasing as his back, and the tail light panels on the forearms, but again, the design allows them to collapse in to minimise protrusion.

The detailing on the toy is fantastic, and it also has a driver-side only wing mirror, which is reminiscent of more old school cars (like my own first car, a 1981/2 Holden Gemini ). MP Bumblebee is really just an incredibly clever design.

Overall: an absolutely brilliant and delightful toy which I cannot recommend highly enough. It's been a loooooong time since I've been excited about a Bumblebee toy!

P.S.: In regards to removing the faceplate, I place the nail of my index finger through the top of the mask and my thumbnail through the bottom of the mask (beneath the chin). I've found no issues with stressing my nails, but I initially decided to do this because I didn't want to place undue stress on the masks! (didn't stop to think that I might be hurting my fingernails too! )
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 12th December 2014 at 02:21 PM.

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Sheer perfection. Bumblebee is everything I expected, and more! Spike is a nice "accessory" but the real treat is BB himself. And it's so nice to have a volkswagon again finally... none of this Bayformer nonsense... he's a beetle, not a ninja. Man, this MP line just keeps getting better with each new figure.

Oh, and I can recommend chimungmung.com, where I bought him (after the recommendations of fellow Ozformers)... great packaging, fast delivery, and I got the Amazon G1 toy mask - hassle free!

Quote Originally Posted by Robzy View Post
    Sheer perfection.
    ^Fully deserved. I declare MP Bumblebee to be 2014's Toy of the Year!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    ^Fully deserved. I declare MP Bumblebee to be 2014's Toy of the Year!
    Yes Bee is totally the best thing Takara or Hasbro have done all year. Wheeljack getting a close second. Everything else this year is a fail Okay maybe not Generations. But everything else sold at Aus retail.

I am so glad I got into MPs just as Bee was coming out, definitely my favourite character on the show as a kid so it brought back all kinds of happy memories. Many, MANY thanks to Sinnertwin for bringing it in for me!

Quote Originally Posted by VERT View Post
    Yes Bee is totally the best thing Takara or Hasbro have done all year. Wheeljack getting a close second. Everything else this year is a fail Okay maybe not Generations. But everything else sold at Aus retail.
    I'm pretty happy with my YOTH Prime for $108.

Quote Originally Posted by laproblematique View Post
    I'm pretty happy with my YOTH Prime for $108.
    So am I but I did not count him as he is a repaint of an older figure.