Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3P advice: TFC Hercules v Maketoys Green Giant

I own both moulds (Green Giant and Perseus) and there are good points to both. GG is definitely the more solid of the 2. The hips in Perseus (who I've repurposed as classics Sixbuilder) are pretty weak. He has trouble doing anything more than the standard A-stance. That's not to say more dynamic poses aren't possible, but due to his… floppiness it can be difficult. GG on the other hand is only limited by gravity.

The bot transformations are quite involved on GG where as Perseus bots are more in line with a typical HasTak voyager. But they are quite blocky and not as appealing aesthetically. They are however more fun and easy to handle.

In the end if I had to pick one over the other, GG would win all day long. But that's just me and I can definitely see why people would prefer Herc. I still think Perseus is great though. I love how everything can be integrated.

HTH.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Megatran Guest

I have the Perseus giftset box in my sales thread.

Thanks for your input everyone!

I'd been leaning towards Herc for a while but thought I'd ask because opinion seems to skew towards GG. My only 3P combiner experience has been FP Colossus, which I've since sold, and FP Intimidator which after getting to grips with I severely enjoy (so whichever of these I plump for will get displayed probably with that, and I've got no problems reconciling in my head the idea that Devastator is going to be quite a bit bigger than Menasor).

Like AJ and UM said I quite like the treads for forearms setup, and would probably not use the arm extensions from the Rage set (which I'm in for mainly for the shoulder extenders).

Chimungmung has the TFC Herc + Rage set discounted further down to 419 at the moment... far far too tempting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    The hips in Perseus (who I've repurposed as classics Sixbuilder) are pretty weak. He has trouble doing anything more than the standard A-stance. That's not to say more dynamic poses aren't possible, but due to his… floppiness it can be difficult. GG on the other hand is only limited by gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiden View Post
    -shitty limb connections ports, much prefer the lock and release on MMCs Predaking.
    -quality control is poor as typical with TFC but haven't bought anything from them since.
    Both of these points are of interest to me, could you go into them in a bit more detail if you've got a moment? On the bot modes, I've seen a couple of video reviews for the individual bots and know a couple of them are very backpack-ey
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

the connector joint is an octagonal stub which plugs into the connector port. they are a pain to pull apart on mine, the arms giving me the most trouble.

the connector port (knee) on mixmaster isnt tight most likely due to the wear on the ratcheting teeth - but i haven't played with them much, mostly just posing but i suppose this is due to me being unlucky. i do remember having to replace a join on long haul because of a shitty ratchet joint. basically the set required a number of replacement parts to be issued.

CoRDS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    Thanks for your input everyone!

I'd been leaning towards Herc for a while but thought I'd ask because opinion seems to skew towards GG. My only 3P combiner experience has been FP Colossus, which I've since sold, and FP Intimidator which after getting to grips with I severely enjoy (so whichever of these I plump for will get displayed probably with that, and I've got no problems reconciling in my head the idea that Devastator is going to be quite a bit bigger than Menasor).

Like AJ and UM said I quite like the treads for forearms setup, and would probably not use the arm extensions from the Rage set (which I'm in for mainly for the shoulder extenders).

Chimungmung has the TFC Herc + Rage set discounted further down to 419 at the moment... far far too tempting.

Both of these points are of interest to me, could you go into them in a bit more detail if you've got a moment? On the bot modes, I've seen a couple of video reviews for the individual bots and know a couple of them are very backpack-ey
    if herc had been $419 when i was looking i would have bought it for the size.

but seeing as i have the UT not predaking im glad i got giant as he goes well with the UT not predaking

So how big are these guys.. I'm thinking to scale with MP's and having MP-01 Prime.

Always wanted a big Devastator

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    Perseus' hips aren't the best design. The ratchets tend to wear themselves out from what I have read. It hasn't happened to mine because I've hardly posed it. You can get a set of steel hips from Shapeways that fix the problem but it requires a bit of modification to install.

Also TFC use PCC combiner ports which while they work fine on power core combiners, struggle on something as large as Herc.

However, a lot of people love their Herc. I think Perseus is great. It's just not without its issues.

But don't think that Giant is perfect either. But it is more solid.

Quote Originally Posted by WeallscreamforStarscream View Post
    So how big are these guys.. I'm thinking to scale with MP's and having MP-01 Prime.

Always wanted a big Devastator
    At a guess Id say MP-01 would come up to Herc's nipples. Even higher on Giant. Not a great scale to use imo.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

CoRDS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Perseus' hips aren't the best design. The ratchets tend to wear themselves out from what I have read. It hasn't happened to mine because I've hardly posed it. You can get a set of steel hips from Shapeways that fix the problem but it requires a bit of modification to install.

Also TFC use PCC combiner ports which while they work fine on power core combiners, struggle on something as large as Herc.

However, a lot of people love their Herc. I think Perseus is great. It's just not without its issues.

But don't think that Giant is perfect either. But it is more solid.

At a guess Id say MP-01 would come up to Herc's nipples. Even higher on Giant. Not a great scale to use imo.
    BRB with pics of mp01 and mp10 next to giant
    [EDIT: BAM]

from left to right. spike in exo suit- mp10 prime, Make toys type 61 GIANT, (daniel mp10 under him) , DR whatshisface from mp03 star scream , MP01 prime and mp21 bumble

Awesome thanks for the pic!

Yeah i might wait for a blue moon to swing past and find a monster bigg ass Devastator.

I really don't want him a little bit bigger than mp-10.. I WANT HIM DEVASTATINGLY BIGGER

Maybe not the best pic, doesn't do Hercs size justice at all, but might give a bit of an idea...

MP-1 & CS are both completely upright, with little leg spread - whilst Herc is bent at the knees, leaning forward and legs are pretty far apart... also his arm joints from ROH are upside down so they hang lower (initially just to fit into cabinet but I actually like the look better). Standing straight he'd be bigger than CS.

Size and a meaner & (to me) less toy-like look are the reasons I went for Herc over Giant... still think Giant is sweet though and if I could afford & justify having both then I would.
    Last edited by FAPOS; 15th December 2014 at 08:16 PM.