Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: STL's Journey into BWs

Uh... in order for me to tell you more about Ravage's fate, I would also have to reveal more about Tarantulas. Hurry up and finish watching Season 3, damnit!!

Deep Metal

The introduction of Depthcharge! I really like the character. I have the toy actually; got it almost 4 months ago but have yet to get around to opening it. Having watched these episodes, I think I'm going to have to find time soon now.

As for the episode itself, I loved the waterr feel of the episode. It really made the Transformers Beast War universe seem vast and far spanning. I'm also quite a scenic guy so I loved the refreshing feel of the crystal clear water. Depthcharge's introduction was done quite well. He's a bot with only vengeance on his mind and there's a fear of him being generic. But so far he's interesting in providing a snarky and tough counter to Optimus. Rattrap is witty and frustrating but Depthcharge is outright defiant.

It's interesting how Rampage has embraced his new name despite the fact that it was given to him by Megatron. You'd think he'd resent the name a lot more since it's been given to him by the one who's controlling his every whim.

And poor Waspinator. If there's one constant I've appreciated in the BWs it's that Wazzzpinator always copping a slagging.

Excellent episode.

Changing of the Guard

The level of excellence continues. I like Blackarachnia being involved in the Maximal ranks for the first time and it reminds us that she's also got intelligence; cementing her in my mind as the richest fembot in Transformer lore. Everytime i think of Blackarachnia, it makes me wonder how the writers dropped the ball with Airazor.

Rattrap looks so cute inside the submarine. The music in the background was hilarious. Depthcharge being brought back to the fold was awesome. I liked how he mellowed slowly. It started with the realisation that this was Generation One Earth. Then more and more he starts to realise the gravity of the situation, the need for him to play a role. But in doing so, he's still willing to lip off to Optimus My favourite moment though was when Depthcharge let Optimus berate him. That was a strong moment.

Megatron ultimately won this episode, gaining Sentinel. I like that. I do wonder when he will get his Transmetall II form. There's 10 episodes left and we've still got to see the introduction of Tigerhawk as well as the other bots getting upgrades. A lot to fit in! The upgrade hardest for me to see myself liking is Cheetor. It's just so much more violent and reckless but alas that's later.

This season is beating the snot out of Season 2. And damn, that's just scary. I didn't think the series could get that much better.

The upgrade hardest to watch is Cheetor's! I'm not a fan of that story at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    The upgrade hardest to watch is Cheetor's! I'm not a fan of that story at all.
    You can blame Aaron Archer!

I also hated his TM2 design, it was awful but at least concept wise he was still a robot despite his looks. That of course changed with Beast Machines
    ________
    Mazda mx-5
    Last edited by kup; 22nd March 2011 at 03:28 PM.

Yeah, that's a big toy issue thing... but story wise I think it was done reasonably well.

Watch more! It gets gooder!!

Needed a break from application writing (which seems to be my life these days) and finally got to the next episode:

Feral Scream Part I

I thoroughly enjoyed it. The interactions were great between Depthcharge and all the other characters, Maximal or Predacon. I especially like how the writers tie in Rampage's spark to the new Dinobot which brings Depthcharge into the fold. There's no doubt who is in the shadows, it's a bit obvious. (and i'm not saying that from the pov of a person who already owns a TM2 Cheetor!)

I felt sorry for widdle Waspinator. He flies into the battlescene only to get toasted by Megatron. Black Arachnia grabbing the drive adds that little bit of intrigue to the story imo. And since she has a TM2 form, I suspect it's only a matter of time before we see it.

One of my principal problems was the typical new character = all powerful syndrome. It's always been a feature of many cartoons before the characters start drifting back to more realistic levels. The crazed cheetor here is able to take out a horde of Maximals. There are some hardened nuts in that crew and it's jarring that dark Cheetor can subdue them - enhanced or not.

Now one of the things I've noticed, quite annoyingly, is that Rhinox is taking more and more of a back seat as a secondary character. He hasn't had the same love as Rattrap, Cheetor and co. (I guess that's why they tried to make it up by giving him a Hard Hero Statue ) I'm all for the new characters getting spotlight but it's a pity they forgot about the older ones. Rhinox's character hasn't really gone anywhere or been tested. Likewise with Rattrap. They've more fitted into their roles and been rather static despite the change in the war. I guess though you see that as the strength of their character.

Quote Originally Posted by STL
    One of my principal problems was the typical new character = all powerful syndrome. It's always been a feature of many cartoons before the characters start drifting back to more realistic levels. The crazed cheetor here is able to take out a horde of Maximals. There are some hardened nuts in that crew and it's jarring that dark Cheetor can subdue them - enhanced or not.
    RE: You want to buy this toy. Remember that at the end of the day, this show exists as a marketing tool to sell toys which means that Hasbro, who are the ones who decide which toys have to appear (and disappear) in which episode would want to see the new toy portrayed in an appealing perspective, which typically means that they have to be "cool" in order to elicit kids to want to buy the toy. And with TM2 Cheetor that's pretty important considering that it's the crappiest of the Cheetor toys in BW.

Now one of the things I've noticed, quite annoyingly, is that Rhinox is taking more and more of a back seat as a secondary character. He hasn't had the same love as Rattrap, Cheetor and co.
    He would've if he'd become a Transmetal! Again, as an "old" toy Hasbro isn't demanding as much attention onto that character. So during moments where the story is focusing on introducing a new toy, older toys can sometimes take a backseat. Even Waspinator's moments are brief - but fortunately for him, also very memorable! Rhinox will have his moments again, don't worry.

They've more fitted into their roles and been rather static despite the change in the war. I guess though you see that as the strength of their character.
    Rhinox undergoes some really, really massive change a lot later...

Rattrap has undergone change. In the beginning of the series he started off as being very reluctant and uncomfortable as a combatant. Even though he's maintained his pessissimistic demeanour, he has become a capable warrior and even proven to be a competent leader. Busting up Ravage's ship and retrieving Sentinel were things that he never would've thought of doing in the beginning of Season 1.

"YEE-HAR!" - Rattrap riding bareback on a Decepticon missile

Talk about being out of your comfort zone...

STL, remember to bring Paul's Season 1 and 2 when you're down city or when we meet up next time. Thanks

Rhinox undergoes some really, really massive change a lot later...
    If you are refering to Beast Machines, that is not really a proper development of the character as its 'artificially' forced in without any propper logic nor development. It just spontaneously happened.

It's not particularly good development, but it's still development - and it's officially canon.