Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Transformers 1986 Movie anniversary day (Australia) - DEC 26th

I looked through some online newspaper archives lately (when I found that 1985 article in my sig - the earliest TF thing I could find) but that resource is not exhaustive.

Saw it in cinemas - the George St. Hoyts cinema to be exact (in 2007 I saw the first live action TF movie in the same cinema complex (now called Event Cinemas). My dad took my brother, cousin and myself along to watch it. My cousin (who was a preschooler at the time) fell asleep, but my brother and were totally pumped!

A friend of mine who already watched the movie before me already told me that Optimus Prime would die and be replaced by Ultra Magnus, but then Hot Rod would become Rodimus Prime and replace him, and that Megatron would be rebuilt as Galvatron. I didn't care about spoilers back then. I must admit that I never made the connection that Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime were one and the same until then (ditto Megatron and Galvatron; although Galvatron's G1 tech specs portrays him as a different character, as we're seeing in the IDW comics atm).

My thoughts at the time included:
    + Spike swore!
    + Wheelie's voice. It was nothing like how I'd imagined it, and had been playing with my Wheelie toy up till then. I'd just given him a more exuberant voice and made him occasionally bust a rhyme (much like Blaster), but after seeing him continually speak in rhyme in that high pitched voice, I adjusted the way that I played with Wheelie. But character-wise, I always played Wheelie as a "Wild boy" survivor like character (I'd recently read Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book, so I based Wheelie on Mowgli).
    + Oh, so Scourge IS a Decepticon jet! Up till then I honestly thought that was a boat, and did think it was odd that he'd been placed with the Decepticon Jets in the 1986 catalogue.
    + Huh... so the Sweeps are just clones of Scourge. I'd imagined that the Sweeps are an army of various different kinds of generic Decepticons, but not all clones.
    + Huh... so the Junkions are all... okay, you get the idea.
    + So that's how you pronounce "Rodimus." I'd been saying "Roh-dimus" instead of "Rod-imus." Hot Rod ---> Rodimus! I get it now! Oh wow... that wasn't worth getting.
    + Awww... didn't get to see the real Ultra Magnus inside that armour. Maybe in the cartoon after the movie? (seriously, I wanted to see it)
    + zOMG! Transformers can die on screen now?!? (I was already used to seeing die in the comics, but seeing them play for keeps on screen was a new thing)
    + Wooo! This soundtrack ROCKS!
    + Oh, so NOW I know which actor plays which Transformer! Optimus Prime is voiced by Peter Cutler! (yes, I incorrectly recalled "Cullen" as "Cutler" until I saw the movie again on VHS about a year later )
    + There's a girl robot! Hmm... I wonder what R.C. stands for?
    + I want an Exo-Suit!
    + Whoa, Metroplex is huge! (why is the toy so small then? ) -- at the time, I didn't realise that Autobot City and Metroplex were two separate entities; I assumed that they were one and the same when I was watching the movie.
    + Unicron = e p i c

P.S.: Poll (re: how did you first watch TFTM?)

Can anyone actually remember watching it 28 years ago, and can definitely say that Spike's swearing was definitely in it?
    We got the UK version of the movie which had the scrolling opening story, the "Optimus will return" line at the end, and from what I read, also had Spike's line cut out.

I'm pretty sure I would have noticed it in the Australian version when I saw it as an eleven year old (my friend and I would have been immature enough to keep saying it while we were playing with our TFs later ) so I'm wondering if we just missed it because the movie was so "awesome", or if it was indeed not in the version that was screened in this country.
    Because, when I finally got a copy of the American version on DVD almost 20 years later, it was rather surreal to get to that scene and then hear that word being said in a Transformers "cartoon".

When I saw it at the cinema Spike did not swear. The first time I ever saw that version was on a Rhino video release. Then the first Aus DVD release. Our cinema movie release was the UK version with the Star Wars scrolling at the start. No swearing Spike And with the optimus will return bit at the end.

I was 9 years too late to watch it when it came out in theaters so the first time I watched it was on DvD.
    I'm amazed at the fact its rated G despite the fact Spike says the S word. Was it censored or something back then? Or was the S word acceptable in G rated shows? (I know Back to The Future contains many S**ts and A*****es in it)

EDIT: It probably was. Apparently there were edits that had Spike's and/or Ultra Magnus' Line Removed.

I don't remember when I first watched it, it would probably have been on vhs at some stage, but I do have a memory of being at chadstone at the time it was out with my dad and my uncle and asking if we could watch it and getting denied. i was 4

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I never watched this in the theatre, for me it was released in a shopping mall, playing on VHS with transformers toys for sale. It was the first time out parents allowed my brother and I to watched till the end as you know this movie triumph over all transformers movie in terms of story.

I remember seeing it with my brother in the Hay St cinemas in Perth. We checked out the new toys again afterwards and got a Hot Rod.

'Star Wars' and 'Macross: Do You Remember Love?' are the only two movies I've seen more times.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

My mum took my brother and I to see it at a cinema in Perth. It must have been early 1987 as, in my mind, I'd always thought of it as a 1987 movie, not a 1986 movie. During the Optimus death scene, my brother sobbed and then bawled which set off a chain reaction of other kids crying too.

I found the darkness and weirdness (relative to the first two seasons of the cartoon) a bit unsettling and pretty much lost interest in the cartoon when season 3 started. It wasn't until I rewatched it on VHS in the late 90s that I appreciated it's edginess, beyond 2000 futurism, and near ridiculous embrace of 80s rock.

I have the 86 Movie on Disc, and Spike definately swears...