Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Displaying MISB figures?

Default Displaying MISB figures?

Hi all,

This time last year I only had MP-05 Megatron in terms of masterpieces, however I've done fairly well with sales this year and added YOTH Prime, Hasbro Grimlock, Hasbro Acidstorm (Will be getting Sunstorm from the states if I can find him cheap), Takara Prowl, Takara Streak, Takara Smokescreen, Takara Wheeljack and now have just ordered Magnus.

I know detolfs are regarded well on here, but for a collector with no interest in displaying figures out of the box, what can you guys recommend in terms of a somewhat cheap, nice looking display that can accommodate a variety of different box sizes. Bonus points if it can house Generations Metroplex and the Dinobots unleashed boxes too!

Cheers.

Line them up like books on a shelf.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Actually, I would look for a toy shop and display them there and let people envy.
    Book shelves are the cheapest way to go follow by glass cabinets ranging from $99-$1,500

Some people will styro seal with plastic wrap as well. Or get those toys graded case or let them grade your toy and case them .

Why not buy just the box for all the ones you have. Then shrink wrap the originals and put them in a temperature controlled wine cellar.

Then display the empty boxes on a shelf.

I use "Logan" shelves from Fantastic furniture. The frames are matt black steel and the shelves themselves are black glass and I find they work really well. From memory they are about $140 - $150 for a 5 shelf set.

Hope this helps

Megatran Guest

I bought these ones last week from IKEA for my boxed toys. $129 each. Width 100cm, depth 36cm, height 175cm.

Each deck of the shelf is fixed in height, which is a negative. I like the top deck which I can stack the overtly large/tall boxes. The remaining 4 decks are approx 38cm in height. This display shelving unit is NOT enclosed, so dust can be an issue (that's why I have a wife ).

Ended up buying 5 units. Looking to buy 5 more units in a year or two and have 8 units along the walls of the man cave study room and 2 in the centre of the room. Just need to get the wife on board.
    Last edited by Megatran; 29th December 2014 at 03:10 PM.

It's a controversial approach, but I have found the best way to display my MISB toys is actually without the boxes. You have to be careful doing this, as the boxes are actually quite flimsy once you remove the figure inside. However, I have found through doing this that they actually look quite good once they are removed from the packaging. Even better, some of the figures have features like moving wheels or articulated limbs, and through careful fiddling, I've found that some of the toys actually transform! I've actually heard from some online sources that 99% of all Transformers toys have this feature, but obviously there's no way to verify that as you have to be so careful when messing with the toys. Anyway, once removed from the box I've found the figures take up significantly less room and often actually look better once I've had the chance to alter the poses and position them on my shelves. For obvious reasons, you should only do this in the temperature controlled wine cellar Thurmus mentioned above, but what toy collector these days would go without such a feature in their home?

Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    It's a controversial approach, but I have found the best way to display my MISB toys is actually without the boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    I've found that some of the toys actually transform! I've actually heard from some online sources that 99% of all Transformers toys have this feature
    I really want this to be true but I think it no longer is

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    I really want this to be true but I think it no longer is
    It should be relatively easy to work out. Use the universal counting method to count the number of TFs ever released in each series (this is pretty solidly known so should be trivial, if time consuming). Deduct the number of action masters, Titan heroes, and other crap non-transforming toys, such as Alpha Quintesson and Kicker (i guess youd probably have to deduct Kreons and Kreo figures as well). Express as a percentage. I inagine it would still be above 95% even with recent additions like the Titan Heroes.

You'd run into difficulty not with the UC but with defining what transform actually means. For example, Hero Mashers don't transform in the traditional sense but their parts swapping is a similar feature; does it count? But still, i would say 95% or above.