View Poll Results: MP Ultra Magnus - worth getting?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hells yeah - he is huge and awesome!

57 85.07%
  • Only if cheap

5 7.46%
  • Only if...

0 0%
  • Na

3 4.48%
  • He should have stayed in Rodimus' shadow

2 2.99%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Masterpiece Ultra Magnus

If you don't like the launchers on the side, can't you move them to the front of the trailer, or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Facepunches View Post
    If you don't like the launchers on the side, can't you move them to the front of the trailer, or am I missing something?
    Not at all, but then it's not cartoon accurate. :P If there was a deeper groove for the arm (holding the launcher) to sit in, it would work better.

Quote Originally Posted by Facepunches View Post
    I've since found this out also which makes me feel somewhat better. It's still a shame that such a neat arrangement cannot be done for the sides though.

Toon-accurate launchers on the side...

Toy-accurate launchers on the front...

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    [*]Bland sculpting compared to other MP's, especially around the trailer. I would have appreciated more vehicle detail such as tail lights which, once again, wouldn't have been that troublesome to implement. The focus on cartoon accuracy also contributes to a pretty bland deco overall.
    I think you've just explained it there. The blandness is a direct result of show-accuracy. Other MP cars probably have more detailed vehicle modes because of the licensing w/ the vehicle companies, but since Ultra Magnus' trailer is a fictitious design, there's no real-life template for them to base it off. All they have to work off is the simple cartoon design. The cab unit is reasonably detailed as a Freightliner FL86 though.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I like Magnus simply because it is a different design.
    They tried, while not everyone is happy, a lot are very contented.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    ....but since Ultra Magnus' trailer is a fictitious design, there's no real-life template for them to base it off. All they have to work off is the simple cartoon design.
    I see it the other way, the lack of adherence required to any particular real world design should have given them more freedom to create something cool, or at least complete (gappy thighs for the bottom car carrier deck anyone?). Instead they kind of took the opportunity to be lazy. Besides it isn't like the trailer is super accurate to either toy or show so they didn't really hit the mark there.

I guess I was expecting something more on par with MP Rodimus. With him we got the toy we all wished G1 roddy was back in the day. With Magnus, while there are one or two cool features, I don't think they've done enough with the design to really wow me. That said, I suppose I should just be grateful that they didn't resort to making him a partsformer

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    I see it the other way, the lack of adherence required to any particular real world design should have given them more freedom to create something cool, or at least complete (gappy thighs for the bottom car carrier deck anyone?). Instead they kind of took the opportunity to be lazy. Besides it isn't like the trailer is super accurate to either toy or show so they didn't really hit the mark there.

I guess I was expecting something more on par with MP Rodimus. With him we got the toy we all wished G1 roddy was back in the day. With Magnus, while there are one or two cool features, I don't think they've done enough with the design to really wow me. That said, I suppose I should just be grateful that they didn't resort to making him a partsformer
    Real world car carriers are gappy as all hell though, even on the bottom deck. They have a massive gap running the entire underside inbetween where the cars wheels run. All the gaps are a weight saving exercise. So the gaps in Magnus are actually correct. In fact he doesn't have enough of them
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

To those who voted only if cheap. Just curious,

How cheap were you expecting? I mean, I gotten mine at $165 delievered, this is a huge figure in mp class. Sure I bought Metroplex at $124, but how cheap were you willing to pay being the release here is going to be $300.

My only wish was TT should have left it in truck mode in the box. lol
    This forces me to transform it like all the mp cars I have. I havent gotten the time to play Magnus and have not transformed him yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Real world car carriers are gappy as all hell though, even on the bottom deck. They have a massive gap running the entire underside inbetween where the cars wheels run. All the gaps are a weight saving exercise. So the gaps in Magnus are actually correct. In fact he doesn't have enough of them
    Yeah but the rails that the car wheels sit on don't look like giant robot thighs do they

Also they are generally level

One new thing I do appreciate about Magnus is the solidity of his hands. I sincerely hope this is a sign that the age of fingerfall is well and truly over.

To me the hands are okay, feels like KFC will just keep making them the all perfect fingers like what is done on soundwave and mp10
    Being white makes it even easier. The thumb can be made movable without popping off IMO .