View Poll Results: MP Ultra Magnus - worth getting?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hells yeah - he is huge and awesome!

57 85.07%
  • Only if cheap

5 7.46%
  • Only if...

0 0%
  • Na

3 4.48%
  • He should have stayed in Rodimus' shadow

2 2.99%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Masterpiece Ultra Magnus

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Dam, no spare MP10 Matrix's laying around.
    Hence why a few months ago I bought two extra Cybertron Campaign matrixes from eBay when I saw them for (relatively) cheap.

Picked this guy up while I was in Japan last month for 13,000 yen. quite a good price for how big he is.
    however, his posability is a little lacking in places. but regardless he looks big and imposing.
    I was a little disappointed that he couldn't transform into a white optimus and then have the trailer as a suit of armour, but I guess no one is ever going to use him as that form and will want to go straight for the big blue bot right away anyway so it's not so bad. (even if he isn't his IDW design a minimus ambus would have been great too, lol)
    I haven't had much of a chance to fiddle with him since I got back from Japan so I haven't tried any of his gimmicks, but even without them Magnus is a very nice figure.
    if you can get him for a reasonable price I'd saw even with his flaws (limited posablitiy, car carrier ramps not being able to sit flat, etc) he is definitely worth it.

Got him delivered today, haven't played with him 100% yet but one thing that i didn't like was his hands. can't do much with the stiff hands with fingers that aren't poseable.

He's big and his shoulders make him slightly taller than MP-1 Prime.

Arrived today F*&! me, he is frigging beautiful! As a magnus fan this is my holy grail

My wife now thinks she has been downgraded in the order of things I love. She thinks it stands as MP22 then my daughter then her.

For those interested in MP-22/matrix discussion, I finally went with a Cybertron Campaign matrix (mito?) in each MP-22. I've got one in alt mode and one in robot mode. Further, the "matrix hands" are going to be displayed on a little coin stand holding the larger matrix from Hasbro Rodimus Prime (the one using the MP-1 matrix's mould). I've got a few little bits loose on the temporary display shelf at the moment (Reflector, etc) so it fits in there.

my magnus' head is a bit loose. it can fall forward/back if he leans too far in either direction.

But he looks amazing

First, let me say that I'm biased: G1 Ultra Magnus is my favourite Transformer/character, and I've been looking forward to a proper Masterpiece figure of him for a while (MP-2 doesn't really count in my opinion), especially since MP-10's release.

With that out of the way... yes, I think he rocks! Screen-accurate, not a white Prime, solid, chunky, not a 'partsformer' yet has a detachable cab - it's an amazing figure. I can understand why some might be irked by the lack of shoulder articulation, but I accept that that's a limitation of the design.

My only really 'big' gripe is that I think his gun should be longer - it just seems kind of small and stumpy to me.

I wanted to fall in love with this but I have to admit it is a pretty underwhelming Masterpiece unfortunately.

PROS
    • Impressive size/scale
    • I liked how the cab folds away in transformation. Improves over the G1 transformation design in a clever way.
    • They didn't skimp on the rubber tyres
    • Managed to incorporate the matrix cavity
    • Clean and tight transformation for the most part
    • Plastic colours are pretty good

CONS
    • Blocky and not very poseable. In hand, it is apparent that they could have incorporated more articulation without ruining the toy design but simply didn't.
    • Bland sculpting compared to other MP's, especially around the trailer. I would have appreciated more vehicle detail such as tail lights which, once again, wouldn't have been that troublesome to implement. The focus on cartoon accuracy also contributes to a pretty bland deco overall.
    • I don't like how the missile launchers just hang out in alt mode.
    • Pretty dull accessories for an MP of this size. Also that gun is not very impressive at all.
    • Not that great an improvement over the G1 design. I expected a better car carrier trailer both in function and sculpted detail, instead of a scaled up version of what already existed. While some may argue that this is paying tribute to the G1 design, I consider it lazy.

He's a giant hunk of wasted potential. Freed from the constraints of working on the relatively miniature scale of the MP cars, Magnus should have been the pièce de résistance for TT, on par with Soundwave. Instead it's like the designers were trying to embody the personality of Magnus himself while designing him. Dull, no frills and functional.

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    CONS
    • I don't like how the missile launchers just hang out in alt mode.
    That would likely be my biggest issue with MP-22.

Going based entirely from pictures I'm not convinced that this is any better than KFC Citizen Stack aside from solely the cartoon accuracy aspect, and possibly scale depending on which specific source you're going from.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.