Page 68 of 77 FirstFirst ... 48586364656667686970717273 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars toys & merchandise sighting

I cannot find a thread to perfectly fit my Star Wars toy comment so this will just have to do. I came across an ice-cream tub of my original Kenner 3 3/4" Star Wars figures recently and one thing it reminded me of was their smell.

These toys, both back in the day and even now, have a distinct plastic scent which, due to association, I love. But I've noticed the few recent Hasbro equivalents I've purchased are practically odorless. Is it just me?

Couldn't find any of the #60-#65 series of Black Series at The Reject Shop. Stock probably hasn't arrived up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    These toys, both back in the day and even now, have a distinct plastic scent
    Is it more noticeable because the old figures were kept in a sealed container?

Quote Originally Posted by kovert View Post
    Is it more noticeable because the old figures were kept in a sealed container?
    A dozen or more figures sealed for years in the one container could contribute to it. However, I remember even just one figures smelling long after removal from its blister pack, having been standing on display shelves.

I think there is a small to whatever plastic they used back then. The rest of my experience comes from the importance of smell to memory, especially of formative experiences, as this dates back to me being 6-8 in the late 70s.

Black Series retail distribution has gone to shit in this country. Myer Sydney City never has any (they should given it's a flagship) nor some other one's I casually frequent. TRU is long gone. It's become a bit of a pain.

I said I wasn't going to pre-order from TLTC anymore and just wait to buy in stock items but some like Dengar and Lando (Skiff) are sold out at the pre-order stage. So I made a pre-order for that wave from Dorkside toys (big US online retailer) and they have cancelled my order because Hasbro wouldn't give them more stock. Now I'm stuck trying to source from a number of channels to get up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    Black Series retail distribution has gone to shit in this country. Myer Sydney City never has any (they should given it's a flagship) nor some other one's I casually frequent. TRU is long gone. It's become a bit of a pain.

I said I wasn't going to pre-order from TLTC anymore and just wait to buy in stock items but some like Dengar and Lando (Skiff) are sold out at the pre-order stage. So I made a pre-order for that wave from Dorkside toys (big US online retailer) and they have cancelled my order because Hasbro wouldn't give them more stock. Now I'm stuck trying to source from a number of channels to get up to date.
    Which ones are you after?
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Quote Originally Posted by Tober View Post
    Which ones are you after?
    Need to put in orders for:

68 (Beckett) - available from TLTC.
    70-77 (TLTC is not sold out on 74 (Dengar) and 76 (Lando - Skiff).

Galvatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post

Life's tough being a completionist.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatran View Post
    Life's tough being a completionist.
    Yes it is. Fortunately I'm not collecting all the exclusives, that would be even worse. Well I ordered the 70-77 wave from someone in the US on eBay. Can only hope they arrive in nice condition.

Galvatran Guest

^ You'd certainly hope the Seller packs well given the pretty penny to ship from the US.

^ They have 100% feedback on ~2,000 reviews and I requested extra care in shipping given the distance it will travel. That's about all I can do and just hope for the best.