View Poll Results: Skywarp? Worth Buying?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • MP11 Skywarp! Gimmie!

13 37.14%
  • Only if cheap

14 40.00%
  • Only if...

0 0%
  • Nope

4 11.43%
  • I have way too many Seekers/Skywarps

4 11.43%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Masterpiece 11SW Skywarp

I received mine on Wed from PC. After Ramjet and Thrust this is my first 'regular' Seeker. It was still a bit fiddly getting him together into alt mode, I haven't tried putting him back into bot mode. There is a bit of a gap where the cockpit window parts meet. I was also expecting the black paint to be glossy, not sure where I got that impression from. Anyway those are my first thoughts

The original MP Skywarp has glossy black. Never really noticed the lack of glossiness in pictures (I've never seen any later versions of MP Skywarp IRL).

I still dont understand the stripes on his wrists or like the way the insignia faces. Truth is, I have saved a bucket of money wanting all the newer seekers to match the alt deco of MP-11 and MP-11S.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    I still dont understand the stripes on his wrists or like the way the insignia faces.
    The stripes are a carry-over from the original MP-6 whereas the insignia position is G1-accurate (only the G1 cartoon inverted them, but the toy, comics, books etc. all had them upside-up).
    Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    Truth is, I have saved a bucket of money wanting all the newer seekers to match the alt deco of MP-11 and MP-11S.
    Would it not have been cheaper to have simply gotten MP6 and applied the included stickers as you please? Unless you're really that keen to have an MP11 mould based Skywarp over an MP-3 based one (not that any of us knew that MP3 would be retooled as MP11 back then ).

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The original MP Skywarp has glossy black. Never really noticed the lack of glossiness in pictures (I've never seen any later versions of MP Skywarp IRL).
    i see...Maybe I saw pics of that one? I dunno, I thought I saw this one and it looked like Loud Pedal and G2 Sideswipe, that nice rich glossy black, but nope

*I voted 'only if cheap'. I was able to use loyalty points from premium collectables to get a good discount. I like the overall look and I want the character but it is not good value for money and now I don't think it can hold up in some ways to the advancements and trickery of more recent figures.
    Last edited by philby; 20th January 2017 at 01:06 PM.

The original MP3 design (which post MP11 Seekers are still fundamentally based on) by Kawamori Shouji was ... very Kawamori. It would be nothing surprising for Macross collectors, but it's a very different aesthetic for Transformers. I basically sum up the MP Seekers as being glorified transformable display pieces rather than playable toys. And post MP3 Seekers have attempted to rectify this issue, such as the use of more durable plastic, and of course the retooling done on MP11 (which does make it look less accurate in jet mode, but it is a better action figure in robot mode).

A lot of people complained about the prices for MP3, MP6 and especially MP7*, but post-MP11 Seekers are considerably dearer. I think that the pre-MP11 Seekers are just worth paying for at RRP, so yeah, I totally agree that post-MP11 Seekers are only worth it if purchased for <RRP.

-------------------------------------------------
    *which was 210JPY (approx $3) dearer. At 10290JPY (AU$125) I felt that MP3 and MP6 were already overpriced, especially when the Hasbro version of MP3 sold here for AU$99. I seriously almost didn't pre-order MP7 but finally bit the bullet because I just wanted to complete the set. It now feels like I'm biting missiles in comparison when I'm paying $155 for my MP Coneheads from PC with loyalty discount (it's otherwise $160 or 15984JPY (approx. $185) if I order directly from TakaraTOMY Mall, but including shipping would bring it over $200. And again, I'm only getting the MP Coneheads to complete the set. NONE of them are really worth paying over $100 for. The MP Coneheads are proving to be the most expensive toys that I'm getting in regards to price vs inherent value of toys. MP Seekers are just such rip-offs these days... definitely only every buy them if you can get them cheaper (never cheap, just cheaper ).