Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Diecast metal

My MP1 can stand, although admittedly it is more prone to tipping over than other MPs.

MP1 has metal on the chest and legs, whereas toys like MP Megatron, Rodimus and MP22 Ultra Magnus have metal feet but the rest is plastic, allowing the metal feet to act as stabilising ballast. MP Megatron needs the metal feet to counterbalance the weight of the massive fusion cannon. It's unfortunate that the feet are prone to rust, but I haven't encountered this issue w/ MP Rodimus or Magnus, so it seems that TakTOM learnt their mistake from MP5. This big toys are more prone to falling over during play, and having weighted feet really helps to stabilise them. So in this sense, the use of die-cast metal is used more for practical reasons rather than cosmetic one. Although I don't mind metal being used for cosmetic reasons, so long as it's done properly. I don't mind plastic toys... I just wish that some of them were cheaper. e.g. Alternities cost about as much as Binaltechs, despite being smaller and more plastic!

I prefer diecast. It tastes good and is full of ruffage.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I prefer diecast. It tastes good and is full of ruffage.
    Dont forget the rubber tyres for protein!

I think die cast is tough to pull off. When used in the feet, it can add much needed stability. If used in the top of the figure proportionately more than in the bottom, it can ruin a toy by making it topheavy. Paint is also hit or miss with most die cast parts.

It's like rubber tyres. Sure, they look much and feel much more authentic/high quality, but they corrode, can easily break and add a little more to the cost. I prefer plastic tyres/wheels, especially if the hubcaps are painted right (which unfortunately doesn't happen often).
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    I think die cast is tough to pull off. When used in the feet, it can add much needed stability. If used in the top of the figure proportionately more than in the bottom, it can ruin a toy by making it topheavy. Paint is also hit or miss with most die cast parts.

It's like rubber tyres. Sure, they look much and feel much more authentic/high quality, but they corrode, can easily break and add a little more to the cost. I prefer plastic tyres/wheels, especially if the hubcaps are painted right (which unfortunately doesn't happen often).
    This is actually a very good point. When hubcaps are done right, they really make a vehicle 'POP'

plastic is my favoured TF material but die cast does have its place with its regidity and weight.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Mp-1 equals real masterpiece, all else high grade toy.
    s.
    Quote Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
    I've never had a MP-1 mould that has stood up properly, and I've owned two. Add to that the two my cousin has owned.

Every MP-10 I've seen has stood wonderfully.
    this, this is exactly why i think diecast has uses, but playing the major part in a figures make up just isn't it .

all 4 of my mp01 molds don't stand very well and have loose ankles i'm sure mostly due to the weight placed on them by the figure, where as my 3 mp10 mold's stand just fine in many dynamic poses without issues ( gavity aside)

And who didn't laugh/applaud at the TV when they first heard this line?

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I am not condemning plastic either, I just feel if you use it correctly is a wonderful gloss to the paint job.

The thing is this, I have seperated mp1 as a masterpiece because it really stands out from the other mps.

Sure mp-10 can pose very well, I didn't say it's not. I only feel it lacked a lot of depth when I compare the two. Mp-10 just feels like a good high grade figure. The riffle is short, I think they were trying too hard to fold the weapon.

Magnus on the other hand is well done. Rodimus is by far my worst mp.

Perhaps some of you should see bandai's gundam metal build, they hold in position extremely well but however they are not transformers .

Whenever I look at my display shelf, I find the binaltech just pops more than my masterpieces.

To me masterpiece sounds like top grade premium toy, non rubber wheels and the lack of certain amount of diecast doesn't sound or look premium.

I sat back in mp10 and sideswipe because they were really not that impressive. But basically when TT decides to go down this path and I do enjoy 80s car designs, I took the bait.

Besides Starsaber and a few non g1 mps I have decided to draw a line and sort only a handful of car autobots I still am keen for. I am sure I be influenced to collect others but I am nearly done with my masterpieces.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Perhaps some of you should see bandai's gundam metal build, they hold in position extremely well but however they are not transformers .
    Yeah, unless those robots transform into vehicles, then it's not really comparable. Some people make comparisons with Macross, citing that some of their toys make Masterpiece Transformers look like child's play. Although Macross vehicles are all fictitious and not based on real world licensed vehicles. And we all know what happened when an MP Transformer was designed by a Macross designer.