Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Diecast metal

Megatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Its has occured to me, this is where most MISB collectors will laugh and don't give a toss what it is made off inside.
    I don't know where you get your facts from. Mocking MISB collectors (or any other 'group' of collector) is distasteful.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    I don't know where you get your facts from. Mocking MISB collectors (or any other 'group' of collector) is distasteful.
    My sincere apologies, however it just occurs to me why would he/she bother if there was diecast involved? Its sealed, its not going to be really touched or anything other than the weight of a heavy box or lighter box. Same thing with rubber tyres, I don't think MISB collectors would bother to open to find their rubbers have rot or dried up? And thats the beauty of being MISB, don't really have to know basis. The first thing you be caring is fading of the box or a dent.

This is different by the way from a collector that have both MISB and opened toy in hand. If you feel different please explain how metal in this case will really enhance your experience other than it being heavy or lighter box. I wasn't mocking, I am in fact envying in some ways because this is where I felt it didn't mattered as much as compared to a person who is playing the toy in hand. And most of the debate here are from people who transforms and plays with the toy. Hence it was a matter of good or bad to have metal in Transformers toys.

I'm not really a sealed collector, but I imagine that some benefits might include:
    * Visual appeal. A lot of car-formers look nicer in nicely painted die-cast metal. And rubber tyres look nicer than plastic ones. It can be nice to stare at them through windows. Binaltech boxes have three windows to allow you to look at it from the top, side, front and back while still in box.
    * Value for money. Whether you intend to keep it sealed or open it, if a BT costs the same as an ALT, why not get the BT?

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Ofcourse not. Mocking box collectors is heaps of fun
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I'm not really a sealed collector, but I imagine that some benefits might include:
    * Visual appeal. A lot of car-formers look nicer in nicely painted die-cast metal. And rubber tyres look nicer than plastic ones. It can be nice to stare at them through windows. Binaltech boxes have three windows to allow you to look at it from the top, side, front and back while still in box.
    * Value for money. Whether you intend to keep it sealed or open it, if a BT costs the same as an ALT, why not get the BT?
    Because it isn't available in BT? lol
    The Ford Mirage and Hot Rod was kind of a bummer that no BT version was made, they were all platistic even the jp version. But saying that, It did showed how good plastic can be if done properly, Mirage and Hot rod were pretty nice I felt, though if it was metal with metallic it will shine more.

Oh and heres the thing about MISB, if it was showing like BT with window, yes it may make a difference as you get to see the toy. However if its like all the current TT mps, then is no more than the weight of the toy.

Here's the thing though, I have never really regarded the Masterpiece line as a playing toy, hence why I felt metal and rubber wheels should be done as it will be more like a display piece.

Transformers in general > I go plastic. Hope this makes more sense. I always have regarded the Masterpiece line to be their top of the line range.
    While Wheeljack is a great figure, I am sure some of you felt the white was being very lazy and doesn't felt enough depth. For me the Streak mp was really one of the best painted car mps so far.

Because it isn't available in BT? lol
    The Ford Mirage and Hot Rod was kind of a bummer that no BT version was made, they were all platistic even the jp version. But saying that, It did showed how good plastic can be if done properly, Mirage and Hot rod were pretty nice I felt, though if it was metal with metallic it will shine more.
    . . . . .

I said...
    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    if a BT costs the same as an ALT, why not get the BT?
    Obviously if a die-cast metal version doesn't exist, then there's no comparison to be made. (-_-)

Oh and heres the thing about MISB, if it was showing like BT with window, yes it may make a difference as you get to see the toy. However if its like all the current TT mps, then is no more than the weight of the toy.
    Sure, I personally don't see the appeal of keeping a windowless boxed toy sealed, as you can't even physically see the toy. But you know what? If someone else chooses to keep their toys sealed, that's their prerogative. I personally think it's silly not to play with your toys; to me it's like owning a car and never driving it. But some people DO collect cars and not drive them (my father bought an imported Lexus Soarer (the console buttons, display etc. are all in Japanese! I had to come over and translate the controls for him after he got the car) from such a collector; the car was 20 years old but in near-new condition because it'd been hardly driven).

At the end of the day, what people do with their own things is nobody else's business but theirs. If someone wants to play, fiddle, display, customise or keep their toys sealed, then that's their own business.

Here's the thing though, I have never really regarded the Masterpiece line as a playing toy, hence why I felt metal and rubber wheels should be done as it will be more like a display piece.
    And this is how some people feel about all Transformers, and to a higher level where they don't want to open it. To them it's a display piece, not a play thing. Again, it's not my thing, personally... but if other people wanna do it, then good for them. It doesn't affect the way I enjoy my toys, so why should I care? Someone else doesn't want to open their MPs? You don't want to play with your MPs? Okay, I don't personally subscribe to that, but if you guys want to treat your MPs that way, good for you. It doesn't stop me from opening and playing w/ my MPs the way that I want to.

I do open mine, I bought toys to enjoy the engineering involved.I also do have MISB toys but thats only because I have not gotten the time to open them but I will. Likewise, what people do with your own toys is YOUR business.

I was referring that mps were the higher range and hence they should add diecast and rubber wheels. The plastic wheels does not really feels like a masterpiece unlike what was done in the BT/ alternators line.
    What I am saying here is, "what does the word "Masterpiece" means?"
    Just a toy line?
    Or a permium toy line?
    Nothing but absolute perfect toy product as described "a masterpiece"

It would have been interesting to see a Starscream/Megatron mp11 in diecast form. (dont get mistaken on the mp-5 as there is metal, I mean real metal across)

masterpiece
    /ˈmɑːstəpiːs/
    noun
    a work of outstanding artistry, skill, or workmanship.

I personally think that this does adequately describe the Masterpiece series. Sure, the toys aren't perfect (but no toy really is), but they are outstanding. Do rubber tyres or die-cast metal improve the toy's quality? That's a subjective question that's dependent on one's personal standards. As we've seen in this discussion, there are pros and cons to metal and rubber vs. plastic. Just because a toy is plastic, doesn't necessarily make it inferior per se. My only gripe is that, as a cheaper material over metal, I'd wish that the more plastic toys could be cheaper. But even $100 for an MP Car is still loads better value than the same price for a same-priced Age of Extinction Leader Class toy!

Why does diecast and rubber tyres equate to premium and high quality?
    High quality and premium to me means great engineering with good quality parts including plastics good quality paint with great paint application. Little to none qc issues.
    People keep comparing alt and blt because of the diecast but isn't it the actual paint that makes the blt look nicer I bet you could make the alts look just as nice with the same paint and you wouldn't know the difference...

Quote Originally Posted by loophole View Post
    Why does diecast and rubber tyres equate to premium and high quality?
    High quality and premium to me means great engineering with good quality parts including plastics good quality paint with great paint application. Little to none qc issues.
    People keep comparing alt and blt because of the diecast but isn't it the actual paint that makes the blt look nicer I bet you could make the alts look just as nice with the same paint and you wouldn't know the difference...
    Because of the following:
    1. The metal give a deeper shine to the toy which equals higher grade of quality, As I pointed, Wheeljack mp felt lack of paint on White plastic.

2. The rubber tyres debate is because toy car collectors DO NOT collect toy cars with plastic wheels (in their premium range, not referring to matchbox cars here) is a slap to them, hence the follow suit here in a Masterpiece line, not for other transformers though.

"I bet you could make the alts look just as nice with the same paint and you wouldn't know the difference..."

There is a difference and this is coming from someone who owns nearly the entire set. You can compare Swindle BT vs Alternators version, The Namesis Prime and the alt version, close but not as deep in colour. Not to mention the White Jazz RX8 in metal and plastic, Big difference.

If rubber tyers were bad, why bother to do it on optimus and Magnus?

I am not denying the disadvantages of metal and rubber tyres. However, that is the premium way of a product. Using metal wrongly as stated is bad.

Probably why you don't see Bandai making Soul of Plastickin as its not something they would consider premium and hence they produce a cheaper range line for those with the exact same mecha.

Mind you, there isn't any point for me to whinge about it as I don't make the decisions of what TT decides, they decide plastic wheels and so it is. I am just pointing out what I felt the mp line lacked but you guys are still happy to pay premium for it.
    Last edited by drifand; 18th January 2015 at 03:31 PM.