Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Diecast metal

Meh, die cast is overrated. Give me a well designed toy that doesn't fold over on itself over a brick with steel any day of the week.
    Yeah, they did it in the 80's, great, it was cheaper then too. A lot more people driving old cars, that were involved in head ons also had steering columns run through them because of poor design and material choice.

Galvatran Guest

We can't discuss die cast metal in isolation without mentioning rubber tyres ("mines cracked "), paint application ("I've got paint blotches in some areas "), QC issues ("waist swivel is a little loose on mine "), painted windows ("urgh saving cost by not using transparent plastic ")... Apologies for missing anything else.

Lack of moveable thumbs and/or articulated digits, price... any others?

Galvatran Guest

Not enough / too many accessories.

NOT. TO. SCALE. (or doesn't scale well with my collection of <insert toy line here>.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I always thought the 3p could be the only provider that resolves most of these needs and wants.

The latest Fanbase double evil uses rubber tracks I think. It would have been nice an alternative is included. Some toys included spare tracks.

I always felt that for cars, someone could do a plastic and rubber wheels option.
    This can be swapable and can go well.

The Transform Element Optimus was let down by lack of paint on red that it stands out. It can stand next to mp ironhide and start to look odd.

The masterpiece line should follow what sunstreaker is atm as that is something I am okay with for whatever future MPs is made as standard.

Soc voltron, i cant see how one would say that piece didn’t utilize diecast badly as it is made very well imo

I'm fond of both die-cast metal and rubber (or rubberized plastic) in my Transformers because of the formative experience of collecting G1 toys. Having said that, I understand the pros and cons and the fact that times change. These days, if anything I value having some trans-plastic (particularly light piping) over using non-plastics.

One curious thing I read recently said that, apparently, during the 70s, petroleum prices were such that plastic could be more expensive than die-cast, and this was a reason for the mixed composition.

Some of the best looking die-cast for me is unpainted. I'm looking right now at G1 Tracks and his metal shins look cool. Incidentally, they have a similar dull speckled appearance to the 'battle damage' paint effects in the Siege line which, if nothing else, makes me feel better about that particular gimmick.

Just a note on wear and tear - I think how well one keeps toys plays a bigger role in how long they last than some of the factors debated here. I've had very few plastic-to-metal joint breaks, and no experiencing of rotting rubber, in my G1 collection, but that could partly be because they were always indoor toys, always packed away or returned to display, and rarely too forcefully played with.

In contrast, and under the same conditions, I've had more than a few cases of plastic crumbling in Transformers made this century.

The fact is that die-cast metal was initially used at a time when it was cheaper than plastic. But then when plastic became cheaper than metal in 1986 they shifted to plastic. Neither decision was made based on quality concerns but due to cost-saving concerns.