Thread: Generations Wheelie Stand-In Suggestions

Default Generations Wheelie Stand-In Suggestions

Hey Lads,

I am looking for a stand-in for Wheelie for my re-envisioned 1986 Generations Autobot shelf as I have never been all that impressed with the Generations Legends class figure that got released of him a few years ago and the GDO is too big. I am open to suggestions as long as they meet the criteria below.

1. Suggestion is of Legion, Legend, Commander or Scout scale.
    2. Primarily moulded in G1 Wheelie colours (Orange)

Allegiance and alt mode does not matter and I am happy to do minor alterations to better suit the character (paint, head sculpt).

I personally came up with the following possible stand-ins:

• TF Prime Legend Class Knockout (orange variant)

• HFTD Scout Class Oil Pan

• ROTF Scout Class Slap Dash

• ROTF Scout Class Deadlift

• TF RID Unknown Class Fixit

• DOTM Human Alliance Flash Freeze Assault Icepick (orange variant)

• ROTF Scout Class Reverb

• Power Core Combiners Leadfoot

Anyone got any other suggestions?

If any of those are good enough to ou, just go with the best looking. I'm holding out for a Generations Legend mould maybe this or next year. There aren't many minibots left for the Legends size.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

I'm using RotF Slap Dash as my Odieverse Wheelie. The alt-mode is a pretty good fit for a Classics-esque Wheelie, and the 'bot-mode has a 'feral' look that I feel suits a lost-boy-turned-survivalist-on-a-hostile-world character pretty well.

I've paired up Trenchmouth (the red Decepticon motorcycle who came with him) with Axor as a Classics-y homage/update to Action Master Axer's Turbo Cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    I'm using RotF Slap Dash as my Odieverse Wheelie. The alt-mode is a pretty good fit for a Classics-esque Wheelie, and the 'bot-mode has a 'feral' look that I feel suits a lost-boy-turned-survivalist-on-a-hostile-world character pretty well.

I've paired up Trenchmouth (the red Decepticon motorcycle who came with him) with Axor as a Classics-y homage/update to Action Master Axer's Turbo Cycle.
    Yeah I thought Slapdash's alt mode really suited Wheelie though I feel he might be a little too skeletal in bot mode (how I intend to display him). Personally though I really like Oilpan for Wheelie (with head mods) to me he screams G1 Skystalker.

I am guessing your references to "feral" are IDW's take on Wheelie?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbleb33 View Post
    Yeah I thought Slapdash's alt mode really suited Wheelie though I feel he might be a little too skeletal in bot mode (how I intend to display him). Personally though I really like Oilpan for Wheelie (with head mods) to me he screams G1 Skystalker.

I am guessing your references to "feral" are IDW's take on Wheelie?
    I'm the same re. Oil Pan. Makes a nice opposite to Breacher as an updated Groundshaker.

TBH, Odieverse Wheelie being a feral child kind of predates my reading any IDW Wheelie comics. It started as an attempt to justify his speaking in rhyme (driven a bit loopy from isolation and the trauma of life on Quintessa) and his affinity for the Dinobots, and then sort of took hold given the character's function and backstory. Not to mention it fits the look of the toy...

The Odieverse tends to include a lot of 'twists' on characters, most of which are pretty silly. Imagine 2 parts Dr Smoov, 1 part Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and 1 part Transformers Animated, and that pretty much covers the general attitude.

Deadlift is too dark an orange and doesn't scream Wheelie to me at all. And I don't think RID Fixit will be the right fill in. With a different head ROFT Slap Dash is pretty good in both modes and minimal effort. With a thorough repaint I could see ROTF Scout Class Reverb being an alright fill in too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    I'm the same re. Oil Pan. Makes a nice opposite to Breacher as an updated Groundshaker.

TBH, Odieverse Wheelie being a feral child kind of predates my reading any IDW Wheelie comics. It started as an attempt to justify his speaking in rhyme (driven a bit loopy from isolation and the trauma of life on Quintessa) and his affinity for the Dinobots, and then sort of took hold given the character's function and backstory. Not to mention it fits the look of the toy...

The Odieverse tends to include a lot of 'twists' on characters, most of which are pretty silly. Imagine 2 parts Dr Smoov, 1 part Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and 1 part Transformers Animated, and that pretty much covers the general attitude.
    The storybooks got Feral Wheelie right based on his bio: "Hes a barbaric little savage who managed to stay alive by cunning, stealth, and fearlessness."

Although he "Speaks in odd rhyming sentences" I've always assumed the intent was that, as he is basically Tarzan, he also had an undeveloped way of speaking and this was his version of "me Tarzan, you Jane".

The kid friendly, cute ryhming character hanging around with Daniel in the cartoon was never the character the toy described - who's motto was "Only the fierce shall live". IDW got him right. If he'd had a different voice actor, (eg didn't sound like Scooter) and been treated more to (tech) spec he could have been more popular

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    With a thorough repaint I could see ROTF Scout Class Reverb being an alright fill in too.
    I agree though I would really prefer to avoid painting the majority of the figure as I personally do not like the look of painted panels. The other advantage of Reverb is the ability to remove his bike side panels and mount them on his back like wings (if you invert them).

I was googling last night and though TF Cybertron Scout Swindle looked ok (stature wise) but investigating repaints it doesn't look like he ever came in any shade of orange.

Any other suggestions are welcome.