Page 73 of 82 FirstFirst ... 53636869707172737475767778 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Stuff

I love it when this pops up from time to time to draw out the xenophobes...

Over on facebook, someone posted up the comment that "British schools should be forced to teach children Arabic Numerals", and quite a few people were quite opposed to the idea, while quite a few people were quite amused at that opposition.

For those who don't know, our numbers (1,2,3,4,5,etc) are actually called "Arabic numbers". But it is always fun to see the angry comments from (presumably white) people who are not keen on the thought of having anything foreign, especially anything sounding Islamic, introduced into their western communities or schools, so their opposition to having "Arabic Numerals" taught in schools is actually opposing the teaching of basic maths in schools.
    Or simply put, stupid people opposing basic education.

I just ordered the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G. Not because I particularly want a new phone, but rather because my old phone is nearing the end of its life of getting monthly security updates.

It's really terrible that these companies stop providing security updates after a couple of years for these devices that hold so much personal information.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Im on a samsung s5. My last update was march 2017. Its dying with a flicking screen and the screen not coming back from black screen when in rest mode.

Not sure what to get

Do a search for the Oneplus 7T Pro on youtube and watch the reviews - not available in Australia but I got one imported and its a damn good phone. So good that I'm tempted to update to their latest one which is a true flagship.
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you

My sales thread: Linky

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    Im on a samsung s5. My last update was march 2017. Its dying with a flicking screen and the screen not coming back from black screen when in rest mode.

Not sure what to get
    I just got a new phone yesterday, as my galaxy s4 was no longer able to work certain apps anymore. Instagram wouldn't post photos, twitter wouldn't tweet anything, the qantas in-flight entertainment app wouldn't access their system, and the web browser wasn't able to access a growing number of websites.
    I bought the s4 back in 2013, for my trip to Japan... and other than a new battery for it about 3 years ago, it was still working fine (the current battery was down to about 2 days of charge now).
    I don't like throwing out (replacing) items that still work, but it was just getting too difficult to use.
    Even though the s4 was the new fancy galaxy phone in 2013, I decided against doing that again this time (the s20), and got a much cheaper galaxy a71 instead... which still has more than enough of what I need, and is 5G compatible, if it shows up in my area while I still have this phone.

And after finally convincing myself to take the step of replacing my (trusty) old phone with a new (expensive) one, my car breaks down the same day while I'm at the shops... $400 later, and there goes my toy spending money for the month.

Have 10k for car! But its hard finding a good car that will last 20 years. People have stopped selling atm.

Getting car! Also have new phone on telstra. Much faster response than optus for internet. Not sure if that's cos the phone is old or just optud

Finally found out what species Razorbeast is ?

Last week on Gruen (tv show about advertising), they mentioned about the affect social media apps can have on sales of obscure things... like a recent video on tiktoc of a skater drinking cranberry juice while singing to a song by Fleetwood Mac (from the late 70s), inspiring so many other people copying it, that the cranberry juice company has seen a massive surge of sales (they sent the person who did the original video, cases of the juice and a truck).
    And then on the weekend, during Rage's music video weekly chart (on Saturday), the Fleetwood Mac song suddenly shows up at about number 5... which shows how much of an influence a single video can be, bringing a 40+ year old song back into the music charts for no other reason but because it has been used on tiktok (a number of more contemporary songs are stuck in the music charts because of tiktok videos, but this is one of the oldest songs it has sent back into the charts).

Meanwhile, it has saddened me to see SBS advertising the screening of the final season of Anthony Bourdain's travel show... which broadcast in America after he died (in 2018). The sad thing was, the final episode to screen while he was alive was a visit to Hong Kong, and while I was watching it along with his other recent ones (like the one tonight featuring New York), he just seemed like he was re-visiting his favourite places for one last time, as he just looked so old and worn out now... and sad... like he knew that he was just getting too old to enjoy this anymore.

So hey, question for Goki and/or any other Latin fans here...

How would I say 'You disgust me you filthy/worthless peasants' in Latin? I've started a course on computing basics (being something of a technophobe and needing to learn a few neglected skill areas) and one of the assessment tasks is to do up a flier in Word for 'Dazza's Woodfired Pizza'. Since they won't let me change the sample text and so I can't make the Worst Flier for the Worst Pizza Restaurant Ever (my slogan was going to be 'Now Food Act 2003 Compliant!') I've decided that going uber-fancy with the prescribed text will still be pretty funny, but for that I need a suitable Latin motto for the restaurant.
    I've run a few options through Google Translate and so far am quite fond of "Et displicis, nequam rusticorum", but I wanted to check with people who actually know a bit about the language.

I've decided that - since the original plan for a hinted-at backstory involving a legal dispute with the Health Department, the local cat shelter, and Dazza's Woodfired Pizzas is no longer an option - Dazza is now Lord Quincy Farthing Dazzington IV, who was disowned from the family estate back in Mother England and exiled to NW Tasmania after an unfortunate fox-hunting accident at the local croquet club, where he has been reduced to running a local pizza restaurant for the local hordes of hungry bogans. Whom he despises, hence the slogan.