Thread: Gobots finally making a return?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A little to the left... a little bit more...

I've always been a fan. Back in the day, both GoBots (Machine Men) and Transformers were equally popular for a couple of years. Basically anything that transformed, especially in to a robot, was super cool, whether it was Robotech, M.A.S.K., Converters (I even remember Matchbox's Parasites line was fun). And of course, many GoBot figures are actually superior to TFs at the same size (both large and small).

I've enjoyed buying and watching the latest DVD releases of the GoBots series. Story-wise, some episodes are really good, even though the animation has always been its weakest point. So, yeah... any new content would be great - the overall premise of GoBots as organic/robotic cyborgs rather than sentient robots, was interesting.

Bandai make some pretty good toys, and their high end transforming toys like the Macross Frontier line are pretty awesome.

If Bandai do make whatever merchandise line accompanies this movie it will be interesting to see how they compare.

Maybe it will be like the old days where the small Gobot toys are actually better quality than the equivelant sized Transformer toy.

I have a lot of old gobots compare to transformers back then as they are heaps cheaper.... but then they always comes with bad and loose joints, and are way smaller then transformers.

So according to TFW Bandai of all people are making Masterpiece Go-bots.http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...gobots-182019/

I'm not sure how Bandai is making toys of a Hasbro cartoon, but they are.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

They're making Machine Robo toys. Nothing to do with the international toyline that reused the original Machine Robo toys or the cartoon that followed based on the toyline.

But the design looks like Hasbro/Tonka's cartoon appearance, not the Machine Robo toy. Anyway I'm no expert on Gobots, I've only seen screen caps and pictures of the toys.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

A little to the left... a little bit more...

This is great!

I'd say these designs look more like the MR toy counterparts than the US cartoon (mind you, the cartoon appearances were closer to their toy designs than Transformers ever were). Don't forget that Bandai already released updated versions of the original design with Machine Robo Rescue in 2003, which included similar designs to what the original GoBots were based on. They own the rights.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    But the design looks like Hasbro/Tonka's cartoon appearance, not the Machine Robo toy. Anyway I'm no expert on Gobots, I've only seen screen caps and pictures of the toys.
    The Gobots have never appeared in the Transformers cartoon or Hasbro's toyline. As others have mentioned, this is actually a return of Bandai's Machine Robo rather than Gobots... so calling them Gobots is kiiinda misleading (akin referring to Macross or Diaclone as 'Transformers').

Also, even if Hasbro does own the rights for the Gobots designs, it still wouldn't affect what Bandai does with it for Machine Robo in Japan. I think it's similar to how Harmony Gold owns the rights for the Robotech designs in the USA, but Big West still holds the rights to continue making Macross in Japan. Cos knowing what HG are like with jealously hoarding and squatting on their IP, there'd be no way that they would've allowed Studio Nue/Big West to do anything w/ Macross if they had the chance! Thankfully this hasn't been the case, and Nue/Big West have continued to make numerous Macross series since the original.

Video links for comparison:
    Challenge of the Gobots intro
    Original Machine Robo (Revenge of Chronos) Opening
    Gobots toy commercial
    Machine Robo toy advert
    ...although I'd really love to see the Australian version of the Gobots commercial which called the toys "Machine Men" instead.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    So according to TFW Bandai of all people are making Masterpiece Go-bots.http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...gobots-182019/

I'm not sure how Bandai is making toys of a Hasbro cartoon, but they are.
    They are NOT Bandai, they are Action Toys. They do look better quality as well.