Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182333 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

Welp. Looks like I'll need to contact the Vic minister for police some time. It'd be great if it turns out the permit in Victoria doesn't require a renewal fee.

@griffin could you look into whether there's a renewal fee as well, for each state. I think this is a major reason why some people might consider not getting a permit.

Victoria resident here. I'm sending a message to the Minister of police asking about what's needed to attain a Transformers MP Megatron.

If I am asked for a image, should I provide a link to the scans of this figure, or just say the figure hasn't even been made and the question is for future purposes in the event that one is created? I'd hate to somehow screw over everyone hoping to import it.

Quote Originally Posted by bakakun View Post
    Victoria resident here. I'm sending a message to the Minister of police asking about what's needed to attain a Transformers MP Megatron.

If I am asked for a image, should I provide a link to the scans of this figure, or just say the figure hasn't even been made and the question is for future purposes in the event that one is created? I'd hate to somehow screw over everyone hoping to import it.
    Just follow the Victorian information in this post http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpo...16&postcount=1
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Just follow the Victorian information in this post http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpo...16&postcount=1
    There were some specific questions I had which weren't covered in that post. Like exemption due to being a toy hobbyist, and renewal fees.

Things could have also changed since it was updated last year. I think it's also a good idea to ask people in the know, like this minister, for clarification. I doubt I'll get a proper response, but it's worth a try. If they don't respond, I'll just email other departments. Although now that I think about it, I think I should have emailed licensing and regulations department first, instead of asking a minister straight off the bat.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Perhaps all the question will lead to a full ban of this toy? Not sure but it does open a can of worms. While your intent is meant to be good it may all backfire and spoil it for the rest. I am just saying....think before you ask. Maketoys and dx9 came in with no issues not sure why you want to flag one now.
    Last edited by drifand; 23rd October 2016 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bakakun View Post

I think just send an email to PC first and see if they are willing to get the paperwork done in order to import and sell.

If they know the demand is there from us, then they might be willing to go through all the red tape.

If the answer is no, then think about getting the required paperwork yourself.

The fee is waived in NSW. It still shows up on the form because it's generic, but the NSW Police Ministry have said that the $127 fee is waived for Transformers collectors. Not sure about other states, but it might be worth mentioning that this fee is waived in NSW.

In this letter from the NSW Firearms Registry, 8/10/2007 it states:
    "In recognition that many people wanting to own a Megatron Transformer are interested in the item as a toy and not as a replica firearm, as the Commissioner's delegate in weapons related matters, I will ensure that the regulatory requirements are simple and easily to comply with. Accordingly, I will exempt the fee for a permit pursuant to clause 36 of the Weapons Regulation."

I hope Victoria has something similar to NSW. I guess I'll know if the minister provides a proper response. If not then I'll ask other police departments. I honestly wouldn't even mind paying a fee ($200 max though), so long as I don't have to do it every three years.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I will have to update this before the new Megatron is released, and liaise with the relevant departments, to help make sure collectors get their toy, without facing prosecution or trying to break the law.
    It will also give me a chance to see if anything has been changed since this was originally posted, or added, in relation to the states who didn't have much information on hand, as they will be gearing up for the arrival of this toy closer to its release.
    Thx for taking the time to help us out =)

Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post
    It could be a possibility... I highly doubt many people have a firearms licence so it will be almost impossible to source one.
    most states on the mainland either falls into the no permit needed or a replica permit needed, oppose to the full firearms one which is more involving. (there's a whole thread on otca detailing whats involved)

The process is there and its easy for anyone to go through and obtain if one is willing to spend the time and perhaps $ to go through the motions.

Its not impossible as many have done it / obtain before and will in future :-)