Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232838 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

Yeah, well in the end thats what it comes down to - any potential public highlighting of this particular toy and subsequent intervention.

I should just tell my local 2 dollar shop to import me one - they seem to have no trouble with the other 25 replica toy guns hanging in their shop
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"
    --------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    Um guys.... I think something needs pointing out.

Mp-36 is NOT a replica firearm.

Mp-05 was an oversize replica of a Walther P-38. This is a fictional gun with no real world equivelent.

This is also supported by the "translated" magazine pages that went up the other day.

I've run this past my firearms officer contact (for my actual license) and other contacts (consulted for Victorian gunlaws) and all agree that this totally exclude MP-36 from the replica conditions.
    This might be the case in VIC but I am not so confident about NSW. In NSW it is not a replica firearm but an imitation firearm. Quoting the relevant Act:

(2) For the purposes of the application (as provided by this section) of this Act to imitation firearms:
    (a) an imitation firearm that is an imitation of a pistol is taken to be a pistol, and
    (b) an imitation firearm that is an imitation of a prohibited firearm is taken to be a prohibited firearm.
    (3) In this section, imitation firearm means an object that, regardless of its colour, weight or composition or the presence or absence of any moveable parts, substantially duplicates in appearance a firearm but that is not a firearm.

It will be interesting to see how this is ultimately classified.

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    Um guys.... I think something needs pointing out.

Mp-36 is NOT a replica firearm.

Mp-05 was an oversize replica of a Walther P-38. This is a fictional gun with no real world equivelent.

This is also supported by the "translated" magazine pages that went up the other day.

I've run this past my firearms officer contact (for my actual license) and other contacts (consulted for Victorian gunlaws) and all agree that this totally exclude MP-36 from the replica conditions.
    As a fellow Victorian, this is great news if true. I'm going to wait until I've received confirmation in writing from the Minister for Police and the licensing regulations department though. I'm even going to email them the translated scans and comparison to the real gun when they reply back.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    This might be the case in VIC but I am not so confident about NSW. In NSW it is not a replica firearm but an imitation firearm. Quoting the relevant Act:

(2) For the purposes of the application (as provided by this section) of this Act to imitation firearms:
    (a) an imitation firearm that is an imitation of a pistol is taken to be a pistol, and
    (b) an imitation firearm that is an imitation of a prohibited firearm is taken to be a prohibited firearm.
    (3) In this section, imitation firearm means an object that, regardless of its colour, weight or composition or the presence or absence of any moveable parts, substantially duplicates in appearance a firearm but that is not a firearm.

It will be interesting to see how this is ultimately classified.
    yeah NSW would be diff as even props etc that resembled a firearms falls into the imitation category per point 3 above

even tho mp36 is not an exact replica of a real world pistol, at first glance by anyone they would say hey its a gun/pistol which pretty much guarantees its imitation status

Speaking for WA, I'm still going to check with Police Firearms, given oversize MP5 still needed a permit.

All the pleading that MP36 is a fictional gun will mean nothing if customs/police think otherwise. And really he is pretty much a P38.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    Speaking for WA, I'm still going to check with Police Firearms, given oversize MP5 still needed a permit.

All the pleading that MP36 is a fictional gun will mean nothing if customs/police think otherwise. And really he is pretty much a P38.
    Just apply the form and don't ask. When you ask they have to review it and tell you something different .

Works for maketoys and everything else. Everything runs well till you ask more just my two cents. You are complying to what is required that's enough. If every Tom and Jerry starts asking then they have to review the item.

Just talked to an absolute legend at the ACT Firearms registry. He is going to find the legislation and send me the details of what to do when ordering Megatron. I will post it once I have the details for all other ACT members to use as well.

Man it really heaps when the Officer on the other end of the call is a Transformer collector.

Quote Originally Posted by aching878 View Post
    yeah NSW would be diff as even props etc that resembled a firearms falls into the imitation category per point 3 above

even tho mp36 is not an exact replica of a real world pistol, at first glance by anyone they would say hey its a gun/pistol which pretty much guarantees its imitation status
    If anything the extension barrel and stalk pretty much made it accurate

Quote Originally Posted by bakakun View Post
    As a fellow Victorian, this is great news if true. I'm going to wait until I've received confirmation in writing from the Minister for Police and the licensing regulations department though. I'm even going to email them the translated scans and comparison to the real gun when they reply back.
    Mp-36 isn't an oversized gun.

I'm confused - some places so no permit required for WA, others say yes. Can anyone clarify?