Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1424293031323334353637383944 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

I look forward to what they say as when I spoke to them just then they told me that just because it has a silencer that does not make it a Prohibited Weapon and that they thought it would be an Imitation Firearm. I spoke to someone in the permits and importations area in NSW police.

They suggested that I contact Border Force as they will be the ones to classify the toy and NSW Police will simply apply that classification to the law as it stands in NSW.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    As I understand it, prohibited still means that the toy is legal to own with a permit and safe storage compliance. So nothing's changed there.
    I just have to comply with the safe storage requirements with an event number. GoktimusPrime, did you have the police come inspect your room and give you an event number or did you use the form on the Megatron club site? They said the form is not valid.

Anybody that has their license ever go through the inspection process? What is the safe storage requirements? I've got security grills on the windows and the door has a key lock. Do I need to have a bolted down safe?

Quote Originally Posted by danny-boy View Post
    Anybody that has their license ever go through the inspection process? What is the safe storage requirements? I've got security grills on the windows and the door has a key lock. Do I need to have a bolted down safe?
    I have not been through the process but the requirements seem more stringent.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    I have not been through the process but the requirements seem more stringent.
    Thanks Raider. This thread is extremely quiet with MP Megs only six weeks away.

Quote Originally Posted by danny-boy View Post
    Thanks Raider. This thread is extremely quiet with MP Megs only six weeks away.
    There are too many variables and not enough known information. How will customs classify it? How will each states police classify it? How are everyone importing there's? If locally sourced, how is it going to be distributed? I'm just going to wait and see.
    Last edited by Raider; 12th February 2017 at 10:05 PM.

The effort being undertaken in this thread for the purposes of a $200 toy...

Just remember, if you successfully jump through every hoop put in front of you to legally own Megatron, all you achieve is the police/relevant authority for these licenses knowing you own one, for the low low price of $188 every 3 years. And if you stop paying/renewing that licence, you then become a known person with a prohibited item in your possession. Pretty easy for them to confiscate the toy/fine you/etc if they so please.

Ask yourself this - if a fellow collector just gave you a Megatron gun toy to keep, would you go through all this effort for a permit after the fact? Or would you just add it to your toy shelf and go on with your life?
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"

Agreed but do PC or others have to provide authorities with a list of all the people they sell them to?

Quote Originally Posted by Thurmus View Post
    Agreed but do PC or others have to provide authorities with a list of all the people they sell them to?
    No they dont, they cant divulge private customer information to the authorities just like that, I'd assume there would have to be warrants involved to obtain that data.

If it was somehow a requirement as part of purchasing the item, I'm sure PC would have had that in place as part of the purchase, just like how they put a disclaimer saying all stock will be road freighted, no express (as predicted here and here )
    www.mariokart64.com
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"

Quote Originally Posted by Borgeman View Post
    No they dont, they cant divulge private customer information to the authorities just like that, I'd assume there would have to be warrants involved to obtain that data.

If it was somehow a requirement as part of purchasing the item, I'm sure PC would have had that in place as part of the purchase, just like how they put a disclaimer saying all stock will be road freighted, no express (as predicted here and here )
    My concern is that PC may not have actually thought about this before doing all the pre orders as they weren't around for MP5 and may not know the requirements.

I would have thought they would need a special import licence and then be required to only sell to those with permits.

FYI I obtained MP5 and got the permit. Didn't cost me a cent, no cops have ever visited my place, and the permit lasts 5 years. Not a real hassle and I'd rather ensure I legally own it.