Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1727323334353637383940414247 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

Quote Originally Posted by danny-boy View Post
    There's absolutely no chance that I'm going to risk a heavy fine, possible jail term, and a criminal record, for a toy. I'm jumping through whatever hoop it takes to stay legal.
    A jail term? You really think they will throw you in jail for importing a toy?

I am friends with a few cops and have a nephew that was in law. Do you know how busy these people are dealing with robbers and wife-beaters and real criminals? Come to think of it I live in a rural coummunity where i am the only guy in my area that doesn't own a real gun.

Seen the statistics for repeat-stalkers being let out on bail? No one is going to jail you for a toy. In fact chances are no one will give a crap if you don't draw attention to it. I got MP05 imported from Japan no problem and the powers that be couldn't have cared less. Bigger fish for them to fry. If anything all the attention paranoid TF collectors have brought to the authorities will, more than anything else, make them feel they are expected to do something about it whereas otherwise they wouldn't care. It's causing an issue where before none existed.

I just finished serving a 5 stretch in the big house for importing and displaying Apollyon and Despotron all over social media.
    With my criminal record, I can't even get a job at Macca's scrubbing floors.
    If only I knew

There's absolutely no chance that I'm going to risk a heavy fine, possible jail term, and a criminal record, for a toy. I'm jumping through whatever hoop it takes to stay legal.
    Well you may as well cuff me now boys!
    Touch of black paint on the tip there and we have a winner, and all for three bucks!
    Maybe I should get them to import me some MP-36's since they must already have all the permits and whatnot

It's a delusion to think that any of what you mentioned are at all likely outcomes as punishment.
    In the extremely unlikely event that the relevant authorities learn you own a toy gun that breaks this replica firearm law and decide they must act upon it, they 100% confiscate it, and when noticing that you are a transformers/toy collector they will probably inform you that such a law exists and warn you not to repeat offend.

Plenty of people tried to import (illegally but ignorantly) MP-5 back in 2007. Customs seized them, told them via a letter that it's against the law and destroyed them. No one got fined or got a criminal record or went to jail or any such nonsense. The same would happen in this case.

The only think you risk by not jumping through hoops and spending money on locks and safes and 3-yearly permits is losing the toy as per the above.

If you (or anyone) want to sink time and money down this path, by all means go for it, but realistically I think unless you're a hardcore completist (eg one who owns say the MP Bape primes bought at current prices), it really isn't worth it.
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"

Quote Originally Posted by Borgeman View Post

Plenty of people tried to import (illegally but ignorantly) MP-5 back in 2007. Customs seized them, told them via a letter that it's against the law and destroyed them. No one got fined or got a criminal record or went to jail or any such nonsense. The same would happen in this case.
    This happened to me. I wasn't on forums or aware of it at the time. I received a letter and they simply said get a permit or they will destroy it. I got the permit and they released it to me.

However, had I known beforehand I would have obtained the permit. I would encourage everyone to get it, but to each their own.

At a $2 shop the other day there were toy guns with no orange on them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurmus View Post
    At a $2 shop the other day there were toy guns with no orange on them at all.
    Well obviously that business owner has a current import permit and permit to sell imitation firearms, and I'm sure they'll ask to see your relevant paperwork before selling to you.
    Good to see businesses do the right thing.
    www.mariokart64.com

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    This happened to me. I wasn't on forums or aware of it at the time. I received a letter and they simply said get a permit or they will destroy it. I got the permit and they released it to me.

However, had I known beforehand I would have obtained the permit. I would encourage everyone to get it, but to each their own.
    It didn't happen to me with MP05 but if it does with this guy I'll just hit up one of my copper mates to take care of it

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    A jail term? You really think they will throw you in jail for importing a toy?

I am friends with a few cops and have a nephew that was in law. Do you know how busy these people are dealing with robbers and wife-beaters and real criminals? Come to think of it I live in a rural coummunity where i am the only guy in my area that doesn't own a real gun.

Seen the statistics for repeat-stalkers being let out on bail? No one is going to jail you for a toy. In fact chances are no one will give a crap if you don't draw attention to it. I got MP05 imported from Japan no problem and the powers that be couldn't have cared less. Bigger fish for them to fry. If anything all the attention paranoid TF collectors have brought to the authorities will, more than anything else, make them feel they are expected to do something about it whereas otherwise they wouldn't care. It's causing an issue where before none existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgeman View Post
    Well you may as well cuff me now boys!
    Touch of black paint on the tip there and we have a winner, and all for three bucks!
    Maybe I should get them to import me some MP-36's since they must already have all the permits and whatnot

It's a delusion to think that any of what you mentioned are at all likely outcomes as punishment.
    In the extremely unlikely event that the relevant authorities learn you own a toy gun that breaks this replica firearm law and decide they must act upon it, they 100% confiscate it, and when noticing that you are a transformers/toy collector they will probably inform you that such a law exists and warn you not to repeat offend.

The only think you risk by not jumping through hoops and spending money on locks and safes and 3-yearly permits is losing the toy as per the above.

If you (or anyone) want to sink time and money down this path, by all means go for it, but realistically I think unless you're a hardcore completist (eg one who owns say the MP Bape primes bought at current prices), it really isn't worth it.
    If caught importing I'm sure they'll just confiscate it before reaching your hands. If you are in possession of an illegal firearm and get caught I'm not so sure they'd go lightly on you. It could be minor but why take the risk when you can just obtain a permit?

I'm too pretty to go to jail.

If caught importing I'm sure they'll just confiscate it before reaching your hands. If you are in possession of an illegal firearm and get caught I'm not so sure they'd go lightly on you. It could be minor but why take the risk when you can just obtain a permit?
    You're in NSW, its different for Victorians (as it stands) - look at the very 1st post to see the difference (i.e $$$).

And as my last post and pic alluded to, I can readily go and buy a "prohibited weapon" from any number of shops for just a couple of dollars. There is ZERO difference between the two in the eyes of the law, but I can go buy as many as I want right now.

Common sense is severely lacking in this thread.
    www.mariokart64.com