Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891424 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

Quote Originally Posted by TAAUBlaster View Post
    So unless you live in Brisbane, it sounds like it will still be difficult to import gunformers. Being as you have to physically go to the Customs area in the Brisbane airport to collect-even with a permit.
    Yes, that's the issue, which is why I've now noted about authorising someone else who can pick it up, and post it onto you.
    And if this had been released a few years ago and was caught, I'd most likely would have had it captured at Sydney instead of Brisbane, as most or all Brisbane-bound mail was coming through there until recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Pig's_A_King View Post
    I ordered the CH02 Megatron 2 pack from Chimungmung last year, & it arrived at my house no problems...
    They don't scan everything... but if they randomly scan your item and capture it, now you know what to do to get it released.

Default Robot Mode

I thought Megs or any other TF packaged in bot mode would make it through fine.... Like my CH02 Megs and even original MP05 that i got sent from Perth... Sorry to hear about the holdup with your Gold MP05 Griffin... I myself thought it would be a breeze, seeing how i"ve had 1 international success and 1 inter state.... Like you said: "They Don't Scan Everything".

Isn't G1 megs originally a cap gun? My CH02 Megs even came with plastic bullets? Isn't that more dangerous than the rediculously oversized MP05 that doesn't shoot anything?

I thought Megs or any other TF packaged in bot mode would make it through fine.... Like my CH02 Megs and even original MP05 that i got sent from Perth... Sorry to hear about the holdup with your Gold MP05 Griffin... I myself thought it would be a breeze, seeing how i"ve had 1 international success and 1 inter state.... Like you said: "They Don't Scan Everything".
    MP Megatron is packaged in robot mode, but the Customs people are trained to identify certain objects and outlines on the x-ray scanner, so know what to look for with this toy in robot mode (if you watch those border security type TV shows, they are very skilled at processing those scanned images).
    Ironically, the Gen1 Megatron is packaged in gun mode, and yet I don't hear many of them (if at all) being spotted by Customs... so there was specific training to recognise the robot mode of the MP Megatron, IF they scan it during their random scannings.

Isn't G1 megs originally a cap gun? My CH02 Megs even came with plastic bullets? Isn't that more dangerous than the rediculously oversized MP05 that doesn't shoot anything?
    The Japanese version of Gen1 Megatron was packed with pellets, but I'm not sure if the firing mechanism was removed from the American version.
    It didn't fire caps. And the pellets were no more powerful than missile launchers, so aren't classed as more dangerous.
    (some definitions for firearms actually states the requirement of a "gas or gunpowder" pressure behind the projectile... which rules out a physical mechanism inside the gun to launch a projectile).

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

So can I buy a mp-5 megatron for WA from online stores? I have a friend bugging me to get one and I am still reluctant to get it if it stops at VIC or NSW.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    So can I buy a mp-5 megatron for WA from online stores? I have a friend bugging me to get one and I am still reluctant to get it if it stops at VIC or NSW.
    Dont know if this helps but I brought my mp5g of a forum member from Perth as Im a NSWelshman, came via regular post no worries all good! Currently in the process of gettin permit as I have both Mps 5 & 5g

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The Japanese version of Gen1 Megatron was packed with pellets, but I'm not sure if the firing mechanism was removed from the American version.
    It didn't fire caps. And the pellets were no more powerful than missile launchers, so aren't classed as more dangerous.
    (some definitions for firearms actually states the requirement of a "gas or gunpowder" pressure behind the projectile... which rules out a physical mechanism inside the gun to launch a projectile).
    The US version of Megs did have the mechanism removed according to what I read on TFwiki years ago. I had to pull apart my TFC Megs because it has a major factory QC issue. I found when I pulled him apart the launcher is just a spring and sliding piece of plastic, real easy for Hasbro to leave out of their version.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

I have updated everything except NSW (it's more complicated than other sections so I need to get it right), NT (they provided a lot of information to process), and ACT (waiting on a Supreme Court ruling before I can fill out that section).

All sections note as "complete" are as complete as I can get it, until such time that it changes (like SA, which I have a feeling was just one person's interpretation, which might see them classed as "replica" later).

I have therefore added in quoted replies, to prove that the information was exactly as obtained or approved.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    The US version of Megs did have the mechanism removed according to what I read on TFwiki years ago. I had to pull apart my TFC Megs because it has a major factory QC issue. I found when I pulled him apart the launcher is just a spring and sliding piece of plastic, real easy for Hasbro to leave out of their version.
    The bullet shooting mechanism was neutered on the original G1 Megatron toy, and of course, it didn't come w/ any bullets. This mechanism was restored for the reissues.

Okay... that should now be as much as I can do now, until the ACT procedures are finalised.
    There is a little confusion over the NT section in terms of the legal classification of these toys, but since you can't do anything online to register or apply for permits anyway, it has been noted that you need to contact the Firearms Division regardless of what we know or can do.
    NSW also took some time to update as it now looks like the old P638 Prohibited Weapons Permit no longer applies, and that the P634 Firearms Permit does. Both have the same requirements like storage and Club membership, and both have their fee waived (but you might need to remind them of it if asked for payment), and both are 5-year permits.
    One thing I need to check now is if the Megatron Club is still active, for collectors to use in order to have their Permit fee waived.

The topic was pinned, and I will look at producing a website page for it on our site, so that it isn't just on this messageboard as if it is just for Ozformers members.