Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 19293435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

Those guns have orange tips and triggers which clearly distinguish themselves as a toy.

Check out Aussie retailer armouredheaven.com.au - guy sells a ton of imitation toy guns all over Australia without problems because they are clearly distinguished as toys with the safety markings. On a side note he's a great example on how to communicate with customers on product arrivals.

so, ummm does anyone know if the new MP Megs will be packaged in Gunform or robotform? I just placed a preorder and as soon as I did, it just hit me... waitaminute is it shipped in gunform, coz if it is, we are gonna have a lot of problems :O sorry if this was already discussed or asked, too lazy to sift through the thread..
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Unknown at this stage, but my MP05 and Appolyon were both packed in robot form. But it won't really make a difference with Customs as they still managed to seize Mp05.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    Those guns have orange tips and triggers which clearly distinguish themselves as a toy.
    Unfortunately not the case (at least in Victoria), see here:

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/retriev...media_id=70080
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"
    --------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by bakakun View Post
    Thank you for all of your effort, Tiby. Especially in trying to get The Megaton club registered in Victoria.

Also while you're here, is it legally possible for an Australian store to refuse a refund for a pre-order such as Megatron? I just want to be covered in case I have no other option but to cancel.

If this club can't be recognized in Victoria for an exemption, then I'm going to have I'll need to scrape together roughly $180 for the permit.

I also still need to get around to getting a lockable case for this. Since money's tight right now I might just get a lockable cube instead of tower.

There's still time between now and when stock arrives in Australia late April, but I have to admit I do feel a bit worried as the release date gets closer each day.

My pleasure!

Regarding the refund, much will depend on the terms of purchase set by the shop. A pre-order would not normally fall into the normal return/refund/repair laws, so it would likely fall to your contract with the shop, which is probably contained in its terms and conditions.
    MP-05 legal acquisition process:

www.megatron.net.au

My collection and stuff for sale:

www.csapo.com.au/ttf/tiby'stransformers.htm

I am a bit worried about where this thread it heading. Here is a summary of my concerns:

1. Police do have a discretion, but we are dealing with Customs first. They are much more strict.

2. I visited the Commissioner of Police in Sydney when MP05 was happening and the Firearms people showed me an impressive number of pistols comparable to MP05. Some were larger, some the same and some smaller. MP05 (or any gun former) could be mistaken for a firearm very easily, especially if you are working a petrol station or some other high risk job. There is also a risk that someone else thinks it is real and uses their own real weapon to attack back.

3. The Registry is aware of the $2 shops and could absolutely do something about it if they chose to, but the majority of those are clearly toys, unlike the much higher quality of the Megatrons.

4. The law is the law. Weighing up the risks of getting caught is not advisable and neither is suggesting such an approach in a public forum. The Registry has reviewed this forum in the past, and much of the work I did early on was trying to show the Registry and Customs that we were just normal people interested in collecting toys, and not habitual law-breakers.

5. When MP05 hit, many people received a summons to Court. I assisted in having some of those cases initially adjourned, and then dismissed. Confiscation/destruction was a given, but the charges were much more serious than that. Some people may not care about a criminal record, but I do, as do many others, whose livelihood may be severely compromised.

6. If Customs stops your Megatron, local cops will have no power to do anything. Customs is a Federal body, and work with local cops for the licensing, etc. (I also have a number of police friends and clients).

Please let us all take this a bit more seriously so that we don't undo the work that has been done. We can all have our thoughts about common sense, more important "crimes", etc, but we must deal with what we are given.
    Last edited by Tiby; 28th February 2017 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Typos

www.megatron.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    so, ummm does anyone know if the new MP Megs will be packaged in Gunform or robotform? I just placed a preorder and as soon as I did, it just hit me... waitaminute is it shipped in gunform, coz if it is, we are gonna have a lot of problems :O sorry if this was already discussed or asked, too lazy to sift through the thread..
    Irrelevant. Customs had x-ray images of MP05 in robot mode to compare to when scanning. They also knew where they were coming from.

www.megatron.net.au

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

To those speculating about megatron in what mode he would be in, I assume he would be in robot mode, because of how panel heavy he is I would assume he would be in his strongest most stable state, and *might* be a way around customs in some countries.

Of course its just a guesstimation, after getting shockwave I would assume all bets are off.

Its just crap in victoria we have to pay all these fee's, a one time fee would of been nice, just trying to get the stuff to have him gun safe is painful in the wallet.

If you get lazy and forget to pay after the next 3 years the cops might just come down to shaking the money from you, never understood why there isn't a universal set of laws in each state...least we can all share the pains :c

Quote Originally Posted by Tiby View Post
    My pleasure!

Regarding the refund, much will depend on the terms of purchase set by the shop. A pre-order would not normally fall into the normal return/refund/repair laws, so it would likely fall to your contract with the shop, which is probably contained in its terms and conditions.
    Thanks. The store I'm getting it from seems to have an option to use the amount paid as credit for other purchases, so I might go that route if worst comes to worse.

With regard to Victorian requirements though, are barred windows actually necessary? I can't seem to remember that being a definite requirement for imitation firearms in any of the documents I read awhile back.

Also the structure of in storage section is a bit confusing. am I correct in that the last paragraph is ts own separate requirement and does not apply to imitation firearms, body armor etc? Because if so, then that might make acquiring the appropriate storage could be a little easier.

Storage requirements
    Prohibited Weapons owned or possessed under this Chief Commissioner’s Prohibited Weapons Approval must be stored in the following manner:
    Imitation firearms (including laser/infrared devices) are to be stored safely and securely in a manner to ensure that:
    • The devices are not readily accessible to others;
    • The devices are not available for possession, carriage or use by others unless they are also holders of a Chief Commissioner of Police Approval (Prohibited Weapons) issued for the same reason or are otherwise exempt (if applicable); and
    • When being transported between the usual place of storage and place(s) at which the devices are legitimately used (the reason of which is stated in this authority), they are stored in a manner that is not readily accessible to others and concealed from plain sight.
    Blow guns may be on open display in the approval holder’s home, but both ends must be sealed and all darts surrendered.
    Body armour must be stored in safe and secure manner.
    Swords must be stored in a manner to ensure that they are not:
    (i) readily accessible to anybody other than holder of the Chief Commissioner’s Prohibited Weapons Approval or Government in Council Exemption; or
    (ii) available for possession, carriage or use by a person who is not a holder of a Chief Commissioner’s Prohibited Weapons Approval or does not fall within another class of exempt person.
    General category crossbows must be store in a manner to ensure that they are not:
    (a) readily accessible to anybody who is not a holder of a Chief Commissioner’s Prohibited Weapons Approval or does not fall within another class of exempt person. Specifically the crossbows must be:
    (i) fitted with a trigger lock and the keys stored in a separate place; or
    (ii) stored with a cable lock through the footclaw and connected to the string; or
    (iii) stored in the unstrung condition with the prod/bow assembly demounted from the stock (where possible);
    (b) available for possession, carriage or use by a person who is not a holder of a Chief Commissioner’s Prohibited Weapons Approval or does not fall within another class of exempt persons.
    Other prohibited weapons should be stored in a locked cupboard, cabinet or safe of sturdy construction. If the storage unit is glass fronted, the glass must be at least 5mm thick. If the mass weight of the storage unit is less than 150kg, it must be affixed to either the frame of the floor or wall (where applicable) so as to prevent easy removal. Wood screws and the like are not acceptable; however, ramset/dyna bolts are sufficient. The locks fitted to these storage units must be of sturdy construction. Padlocks must have shanks of hardened steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiby View Post
    I am a bit worried about where this thread it heading. Here is a summary of my concerns:

1. Police do have a discretion, but we are dealing with Customs first. They are much more strict.

2. I visited the Commissioner of Police in Sydney when MP05 was happening and the Firearms people showed me an impressive number of pistols comparable to MP05. Some were larger, some the same and some smaller. MP05 (or any gun former) could be mistaken for a firearm very easily, especially if you are working a petrol station or some other high risk job. There is also a risk that someone else thinks it is real and uses their own real weapon to attack back.

3. The Registry is aware of the $2 shops and could absolutely do something about it if they chose to, but the majority of those are clearly toys, unlike the much higher quality of the Megatrons.

4. The law is the law. Weighing up the risks of getting caught is not advisable and neither is suggesting such an approach in a public forum. The Registry has reviewed this forum in the past, and much of the work I did early on was trying to show the Registry and Customs that we were just normal people interested in collecting toys, and not habitual law-breakers.

5. When MP05 hit, many people received a summons to Court. I assisted in having some of those cases initially adjourned, and then dismissed. Confiscation/destruction was a given, but the charges were much more serious than that. Some people may not care about a criminal record, but I do, as do many others, whose livelihood may be severely compromised.

6. If Customs stops your Megatron, local cops will have no power to do anything. Customs is a Federal body, and work with local cops for the licensing, etc. (I also have a number of police friends and clients).

Please let us all take this a bit more seriously so that we don't undo the work that has been done. We can all have our thoughts about common sense, more important "crimes", etc, but we must deal with what we are given.
    As always Tiby, great work and thanks for your contribution to this thread. I don't know where we'd be without your dedication in helping us Transformers fans own Megatron legally.