Thread: Transformers Comics worth money in the future?

Default Transformers Comics worth money in the future?

as the title suggests, will transformers comics be worth significant money in the future? I know that the original marvel ones, particularly 1-4 can go for $20 plus on ebay, what about say dreamwave and idw in another 20 or so years?..

and also the dreamwave dynamic forces variant covers, the only 2000 or 3000 or so worldwide ones, are they worth any money? i have a tf vs gi joe vol2 #1 that is in mint condition, has never been opened from when it was sealed with the certificate.. i got it for like $1 so i dunno..

im no expert when it comes to what makes particular comics valuable so, yeah just wondering basically..

Apart from issues #1-4 of the original Marvel series and some UK issues, the comics are themselves not worth very much. The Marvel run is where a lot of value is and that's b/c of its age and rarity. The stories though aren't really worth it in my opinion. Outside of a short period between #38-60 the rest were pretty so-so. The art lacks modern sensibilities too.

You should keep in mind that the modern trend of TPBs means that most comics are not worth very much any more unless its to a hardcore single issue collector. Most comics that one buys off the shelves these days aren't even worth the paper they're printed on when you sell them on.

The only modern comics that buck the trend are exclusive/limited covers and comics that people under-estimated the demand of and that that demand is persistent. The only modern "comic" if you can call it that are the More than Meets the Eye profile books. They are hard to get, have great individual covers and even non-comic collecting TF fans go after them.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

I disagree. The entire Marvel comic run (US&UK) story wise are certainly worth it. Collectively they are the best Transformers G1 comic continuity and perhaps the best Transformers story altogether.

Its only comparable with the Beast Wars Canadian Cartoon when it comes to story telling, character development and complexity in the plot. However Marvel UK stories were much more mature and in your face when it comes to uncensored realism so their collective stories were superior as well as Furman's final US run. Many well developed characters would die during a battle spontaneously, some would have heroic deaths while others would just be tragic, just like a real war.

I loved the bits and pieces that they add to certain characters that I would have seen as bad cookie cutter characters in other continuities. Swoop is one of them. Aside from Grimlock he is the most developed Dinobot and I was shocked and awed to learn how he was once named Divebomb but now had to live with the shame that a Decepticon had stolen his name!

Yeah but financially they're not worth that much. Original G1 Marvel comics still go for pretty cheap prices. Even issue #1 doesn't really sell for all that much - I got mine for $7 and that was way before anyone ever reprinted G1 comics. Now with reprints it's probably worth even less.

I don't recommend collecting TF comics as a means of financial investment. But I absolutely do recommend collecting TF comics as a fan of Transformers fiction - especially the G1 and G2 comics from Marvel! G1 comics >>> G1 cartoon

If you want to make a financial investment for the future, I would recommend buying shares in the stock market instead. (^_^)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    If you want to make a financial investment for the future, I would recommend buying shares in the stock market instead. (^_^)
    Or subprime leases.
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs

Issue 80 is/was also of higher value due to lower print run and lack of interest as the series was coming to an end.

And I should note that although Trade Paperbacks make it easier to get old stories, the TPB are also not worth much unless they are rare or non reprinted. For instance the Transformers Universe collection is pretty rare and more valueable than the MTMTE collections will be once IDW reprints them.

Outside of a short period between #38-60 the rest were pretty so-so.
    So issues 69-75 are pretty so-so compared to The Cosmic Carnival, Monstercon from Mars and Cash and Car-nage?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Issue 80 is/was also of higher value due to lower print run and lack of interest as the series was coming to an end.

And I should note that although Trade Paperbacks make it easier to get old stories, the TPB are also not worth much unless they are rare or non reprinted. For instance the Transformers Universe collection is pretty rare and more valueable than the MTMTE collections will be once IDW reprints them.

So issues 69-75 are pretty so-so compared to The Cosmic Carnival, Monstercon from Mars and Cash and Car-nage?
    Oh come on. Tell me you wouldn't find it entirely plausible that if a Hollywood director discovered a Pretender Monster they wouldn't offer it exclusive dibs in their movies. And what about TFs wrestling? Now that's awesomesauce.

(okay, okay, you got me, I was more referring to the Headmaster stories and leading up to Underbase)

Aw, I liked that TF wrestling story!

"You must weigh a ton!"
    "1.8 tons to be exact."

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    The entire Marvel comic run (US&UK) story wise are certainly worth it. Collectively they are the best Transformers G1 comic continuity and perhaps the best Transformers story altogether.
    This is absolutely true. Only Beast Wars has ever even come close to Marvel G1 and G2. And re: the topic, Dreamwave will never be worth money because supply will always exceed demand. The last ten issues of Marvel US are allegedly worth huge money on the secondary market at the moment though. The Overstreet Price Guide has them worth up to $50 and, for some reason, Wizard is claiming that #80 is worth hundreds. Although for me those issues have far greater sentimental value. When issue #79 ended with 'All Good Things... See Letters Page', my heart literally stopped. After being a part of my life for seven years it was going to be gone forever (as far as I knew) and the final story arc was (for me) the best since Target 2006.

The idea that there would be Transformers comics seventeen years later was inconceivable.