Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Maz's 3rd Party Articles & Reviews

Maz is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default Alberich - Not Just A Great Arm

There are no shortage of 3rd Party Transformers-inspired combiners around for collectors to choose from. There are multiple projects - completed and ongoing - covering Predaking, Computron, Bruticus, Menasor, Defensor, Devastator and now Hasbro has entered the fray with Combiner Wars offering an alternative (yet classic) concept, value for money and simplicity with trusted quality over high end collector's items. Not to mention being able to officially badge it as Transformers, Superion or Menasor. So, in order for a 3rd party combiner to stand out now, it has to be unique. So how appropriate it is that Unique Toys are currently the only company tackling the Terrorcons and the monster combiner Abominus.

Alberich - Not Just A Great Arm | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default Continuum Hexatron - The Perfect Upgrade

First there were Transformers. Official Transformers. I liked those. Then there were 3rd Party figures based on Transformers. I ignored those for the most part, before FT Quakewave was forced upon me. Prior to that, one design caught my eye and I always looked at the galleries and teasers despite standing firm against the unofficial onslaught of Not-Transformers product. That design was the original Mastermind Creations (MMC) Reformatted R-01 Terminus Hexatron, the first unofficial Sixshot. Having been a lover of Sixshot and Greatshot for over a decade (never even knew about it as a child), the dynamism of Hexatron captured my attention. Every scene has its landmarks, and Terminus Hexatron is a landmark figure in the world of 3rd party Transformers. Supernova and Shadow Emissary editions, together with add-on parts aside, Hexatron is reborn. This is MMC’s Reformatted R-01C Terminus Hexatron Continuum, and it is phenomenal.

Continuum Hexatron – The Perfect Upgrade | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

I just received this dude about a week or so ago, like yours the gun handle doesn't quite tab in at the end (but I only really display in robot or fighter mode, so no loss there.)

Originally the two end pieces of the legs wouldn't quite tab in, but after a few transformations and some gripping pressure, that problem has lessened significantly.

I am quite happy with my representation of Sixshot, he'll go on thrashing my classics Autobots

EDIT: I also don't feel I'd need the Reprolabels set for this as I would have with the original deco, so they've gone a great job here.

Default Even Less Visible

You just know that if Takara Tomy did Masterpiece Mirage, they’d put out a clear repaint as well. We’ve already had a clear blue BotCon attendee exclusive Classics Mirage, a Takara Tomy Binaltech BT-18 Rijie translucent release through e-Hobby and an all clear Henkei Mirage/Rijie, so Unique DX9 Toys’ decision to repaint D03i Invisible in clear blue should not come as a surprise to anyone. The “Phantom” version is limited to 1000 pieces and follows hot on the heels of their standard Invisible release.

Even Less Visible | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

This may be Part 2 of the Unique Toys Ordin (Abominus) story, but we’re going back to the first figure released by UT as part of this combiner team. O-01 Troll – who is the modern 3rd party interpretation of the Terrorcon Blot – signalled a significant rise in quality for UT and a wider acceptance that they were on the path to considerably improving their product and output. In fact, the first images of Troll were so impressive that before UT were linked to it, many thought it was an MMC figure, or at least designed by those responsible for the Feralcons. Nearly three figures into the Ordin combiner, and having already reviewed O-02 Alberich, let’s see what this Nordic-named monster has to offer.

Extra-Ordin-ary (Part 2) | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default GigaPower Guttur full review

My full review of Guttur is now up:

Square One: GigaPower HQ03 Guttur - Production Sample Review

All the best
    Maz

Default Fenrir

Seriously? A fourth Unique Toys/DX9 3rd party figure article in 6 weeks? Don’t blame me, blame what must currently be the most prolific 3rd party company on the scene. Not even a month has passed since the second UT Ordin combiner limb “Alberich” hit online stores and their stock of 3rd member “Fenrir” is already on its way. O-03 Fenrir is of course modern day IP theft speak for “Sinnertwin”, the two-headed Terrorcon that helped form Abominus. The name “Fenrir” makes reference to the giant wolf creature (with very much one head) from Nordic mythology, staying consistent with the naming theme employed thus far with Troll and Alberich.

Extra-Ordin-ary (Part 3) | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Default Felisaber

I’ll admit, after receiving Tigris and being able to form the mighty Feral Rex as a modern update of the fully combined Predaking, I felt as though MMC’s Feralcon project had been completed. I knew Felisaber was due, and that he was integral to the Battle For Moritorus story line accompanying the Reformatted line of 3rd Party figures, but he wasn’t an original Predacon and thus purely an added bonus to increase the playability and interactivity of the set. Based on the Pretender beast Catilla, R-07 Felisaber, the Mercenary Surveillant, is a re-tooled version of Tigris and therefore nowhere near as anticipated as the other Feralcons. But then the figure arrived, and I understood.

Felisaber & The New King | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Makes me glad I ordered one yesterday.

Always a fan of your work Maz.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Thumbs up

Nice Felisaber review @Maz. Really enjoyed reading it, and those pics are great.