View Poll Results: Worth it?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • No doubt about it!

21 70.00%
  • If on sale.

8 26.67%
  • Only if you really like the character.

0 0%
  • Never, not after betraying his Decepticons!

1 3.33%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Generations Combiner Wars Leader Megatron (silver)

Default Toy Review - Generations Combiner Wars Leader Megatron (silver)

Megatron
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Combiner Wars
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 1
    Released here - scheduled for March 2015, early release at Toyworld
    Approximate Retail Price - AU$95
    Approximate Size - 10cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon/Autobot
    Alt-mode - Tank
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Firing Missile
    Main Colours - Silver, Grey, Black
    Main Accessories - 2x Combining Guns, Missile

Hope the above is close enough to what's normally done here.

First thoughts on Megatron, photos to follow later tonight/tomorrow.

Robot Mode

I really like the silver over the grey they could have used, wish the shin pieces were also silver, but I can deal.

Robot mode looks, for lack of a better description, awkward. Don't get me wrong, he can pull of some pretty sweet poses, but when stood next to Brainstorm, it just doesn't look as "natural" - I think it has to do with the size difference between the legs and the arms.

Unlike the promo photos, you CAN rotate his fusion cannon around, so the large end faces forward and looks more traditional, just no missile obviously.

Head is quite large for a transformer, bigger than Jetfire's by a little, and the face sculpt is perfect, angry Megatron.

Tank treads can sit in a couple of positions on his back due to the transformation, stick up further, or hidden away a little, or can be left out to the side, similar to his earlier IDW appearances such as Stormbringer - though doing so well prevent you from pointing his fusion cannon forward.

As has been reported, while the Decepticon sigils are tampographed on to the figure, he does come with a sticker sheet with both Autobot and Decepticon sigils, so you can choose what faction he belongs to - following his about face in the recent IDW series. I haven't chosen yet, so I've just stuck on some holo glow Reprolabels for now.

Tank Mode

Tank mode is imposing. I don't have any other leader class tanks, but compared to ROTF Bludgeon and Gen. Blitzwing (both Voyagers) he is immense. The instructions state that his robot mode cod-piece connects to the rear of the turret, however doing so prevents rotation. Leaving it down covers a slight gap, but he's pretty gappy at the back when the turret is rotation about 90°. Front panel is solid so there's no worries there.

Having the turret extend in tank mode solves the problem of having either too small a turret, or too large a fusion cannon (as with WFC Megs.)

However, the best part, WORKING RUBBER TREADS! They roll. No false treads and plastic wheels here.

As stated above photos and comparison shots will come soon, hope you enjoyed.

as promised, photo time - I've tried to take photos of what hasn't already been posted out there on the interwebs.

Comparisons:

CoRDS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

as close as i will get to a Megatron for my shelf here in the ACT

Can't wait for my one to come......

Good review to dude, top pics as well.

the torture of others sparks is music to my sensors!!!

Video review of Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Leader Class Megatron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXCW1uFFz98
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post

Wow - the pics next to ROTF Bludgeon really give you a sense of scale, considering Bludgeon is a pretty good size to begin with. Just makes me want this figure sooner

One thing of note, the moulded hatches on both turrets are close to the same size, so even side by side, they still appear in the same "scale" as such, just Megatron is a bigger model tank - kind of like Classics and CW Prime, with CW being a bigger truck, but still the same scale

Quote Originally Posted by crankcase76 View Post
    Can't wait for my one to come......

Good review to dude, top pics as well.
    Thank you

I think I've figured out why he looks awkward to me. His head is just a little too big in proportion to the test of his body.

I forgot to mention, if you don't lock the turret in place with his codpiece, the back of it is a little loose/floppy, and there's no elevation at all

Aaaaaand, my Cloud Megatron just became redundant.

Just out of interest, can you see any reason why the chest logo couldn't have been a flip around panel (similar to MP Bumblebee/RotF DLX Wheelie/TM2 Blackarachnia)? i.e. is there any part of that chest's design that would prevent such a gimmick?

The chest piece is the underside of the front panel on the tank. So there's two pieces of plastic there, and the locations of the faction symbols (chest/tank panel) won't line up. Plus while its a cool idea in concept, in practice I don't like how it would break up the outline of you know what I mean

Edit: on Cloud Megatron, I don't have one, but that version was what I had in mind when I used Bludgeon as a stand in

Very nice figure. Crisp paint apps. I can't wait to have a properly done version of G1 Megatron. It's been a long time coming. Are there any pics with stickers yet?
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust