Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When did you start collecting Transformers?

I had an assortment of Transformers when I was a kid, mainly ranging from 1984-1986 toys (I had all the 84 toys and a lot of the 1985 toys, mainly those that featured in the cartoon, same with 86.). When I turned 10 years old my father through all my toys away (TFs, Thundercats, MOTU, GI Joes, comics, etc).

The part above I wouldn't really call it collecting and since its all gone they don't count at all.

I started buying TFs as a collector in 2006 when the 10th Anniversary BW had reached local retail. I begun with Cyber Key Primal and Megatron and the ball rolled from there.

Got heaps as a kid which for me was between 93 and 98, last figure I got before stopping (high school) would have been BW Transmetal 2 Prowl.

Started re-collecting with Movie Ironhide in 2006... what a mistake that was Now I've collected most of the Cybertron, Movie, Animated and all the Classics to date.

I'm a sick sick man.

I only started collecting mid last year around the time of the movie.

Originally, i only had a passing interest in the movie. But, since I had traded all my G1 toys a few years back (for an original GBA, sigh), i decided to check ebay to see if i'd made a terrible mistake by not checking their worth (yes i did... at the time, i had assumed loose toys were worthless). Anyway, i happened across Masterpiece Prime while searching, and research from there led me to the new movie toys (i had no idea they still made Transformers toys, i thought it had ended after Beast Wars). Upon seeing Movie Leader Prime, i took a trip to TRU and came back with him and Classics Rodimus/Starscream 2 pack. Soon after, I got MP Prime and my first Binaltech, at which point i was doomed/very happy

I want to figure out when i actually got my FIRST toy as a child.. I will have to check if my Mum has any photos lying around to date it.. I know it was no later than 1990, as my interest grew from a friend i met when we moved house in that year.

I went to a toy fair around the end of 1984 where they were showing More Than Meets The Eye on a permanent loop and I just sat there, entranced. I don't think I actually got my first Transformers toys until the 7th of August, 1985 (my 9th birthday: Optimus Prime, Topspin, Mixmaster and Scavenger.) Until then I had been a Lego, Masters of the Universe and Machine Men collector, but from then on it was primarily Transformers – watching the show, buying the comics (UK and US) and collecting the toys.

It's since become a twenty-three year addiction that I keep (unsuccessfully) trying to kick.

I think I started collecting about 20 B.C, only kidding. I think I started 1986-7, not 100% sure. My collecting addiction really hit high gear when I discovered ebay in 97.

got seriously back into collecting bout 5 yrs ago

I had TF's when I grew up. My first was G1 Astrotrain, when I was 4.

Anyway, went thru the 'I can pretend to not be a nerd' stage in high school and forgot about TF's.

I was walking thru Demons R Us in 2004 (22 yrs old by this stage) buying some baby crap for my neice and I wandered into the TFsection keen for some reminiscing. And lo and behold, 20th Anniv Prime in standing there.

That was the end of my exodus from TF's, and the end of my savings account.

1984 - 1989 I got given or brought Transformers as a kid
    Started collecting March 2001 with Reissue Hot Rod and Ultra Magnus.

well ive been getting and buying TF's from about 1987 at a guess i was about 4 years old, my first toy was Grapple and i still have all of my TF's and they are still part of my collection

i remember saving up for about 2 months doing odd jobs for my grandma just so i could get motormaster to form menasor ah the memories

Been collecting continuously since 1984 - my first TF was Sunstreaker. Sold the large majority of my collection back in 2002/2003, but was still collecting assorted items, just not EVERYTHING which is what I was doing in the years prior.
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you

My sales thread: Linky