Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: The Transformers Collection Count & Historical Events Game

Sold a toy, which brings me back down to 1942, so...
    • Little Golden Books begins!

• Disney's Bambi hits cinemas

• December 1941's attack on Pearl Harbour saw a law that prohibited the production of toys containing "critical materials" such as iron, steel, zinc and rayon if it made up more than 7% of that toy's weight. This law remained in effect until the end of WWII in 1945. This saw a rise in the popularity of play things such as:
      * board games
      * model kits
      * paper craft toys (e.g. dolls, train sets etc.)
      * puzzles
      etc.

Power Battler Vehicon has become my 1945th Transformer. So let's look at the year of 1945:
    • Adolf Hitler and his newly married wife Eva Braun commit suicide as Russian forces approach the Führerbunker in Berlin. He is succeeded by Karl Dönitz (President) and Joseph Goebbels (Chancellor). Dönitz is trialed and imprisoned for 10 years. Goebbels kills his six children via poisoning, then he and his wife committed suicide.

• Japan becomes the first and only country to be attacked by nuclear weapons, as atomic bombs are dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Japan unconditionally surrenders to Allied Forces, ending WWII.

• John Curtin dies while still incumbent as Prime Minister. Ben Chifley is elected as the successor of the Labor Party, thus becoming the 15th Prime Minister of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    So you're just 15 years old and you have a collection of 2000 Transformers?!? It's taken me 31 years to amass my current collection of 1940! Wow!
    Well having parents and relatives that collected helps. So does army building.

1949:
    * Australian citizenship comes into being.
    * Interracial marriage is outlawed South Africa under apartheid.
    * The Neptunian moon of Nereid is discovered.

1950:
    * The Korean War begins
    * British engineer and author Nevil Shute, who migrated to Australia, publishes his novel, A Town Like Alice.
    * Kyoto's beautiful Kinkakuji (Gold Pavilion Temple) is burnt to the ground.

1955:
    * Jim Henson constructs the first Kermit the Frog
    * The Vietnam War begins
    * Sir Robert Menzies is re-elected as Prime Minister

1957:
    * Manga artist Takahashi Rumiko (creator of Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, Inuyasha etc.) is born.
    * Theodore Geisel (a.k.a. "Dr. Seuss") publishes The Cat in the Hat
    * In Liverpool, England, a teenage band known as The Quarrymen are playing a gig at St. Peter's Church. One audience member joins this band a few months later. The head of the band is John Lennon, and the audience member who joined them was Paul McCartney. 3 years later, The Quarrymen rebrand themselves as "The Beatles."

Spent the weekend going through those storage tubs I got when my parents were sick of my habit (2007) I have so much it is ridiculous.

Got rid of Ko's and ones it horrible condition, also double ups.

1932:

Adolf Hitler runs for president of Germany

In February 1932, President Hindenburg reluctantly agreed to run again and announced his candidacy for re-election. Hitler decided to oppose him

Amelia Earhart Becomes First Woman to Fly Solo across the Atlantic

On May 20-21, 1932, Earhart accomplished her goal of flying solo across the Atlantic Ocean

German physicist Albert Einstein granted a visa to enter America

"The Mummy" directed by Karl Freund and starring Boris Karloff is released in the US - 1st Mummy horror film

1962:
    * Algeria declares independence from France
    * The first James Bond movie, Dr. No, is released in cinemas, starring Sean Connery as 007.
    * James Meredith becomes the first African-American to be admitted into the then racially-segregated University of Mississippi. He had already twice failed admission but the court ruled in his favour, stating that exclusion of students based on race was unlawful. Many white students became enraged and rioted. Two people were killed. After Federal Troops regained control of the university, Meredith attended his first day under guard. Although some students were accepting of Meredith, he did experience widespread bullying and extreme isolation (e.g. if he sat at a table in the cafeteria, other students would get up and move to another table etc.). Meredith graduated with a degree in political science.