View Poll Results: GEN-15 Leader Armada Megatron - worth buying?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 25.00%
  • Only if...

6 21.43%
  • No

8 28.57%
  • I'm not interested

7 25.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Generations Leader Megatron (Armada)

I think we all agree this mold is great but still in my case, neither version 100% nails their hommage.

The Armada tank mode is decent considering the differences between this and the H-tank original. I especially like the yellow ^ mark and the painted reference under the turrent to the originals "pincers".

In bot mode i wish the chest could have been remolded. I also think the parts sticking up behind the shoulders should have been black (like the G1 version) instead of green. To top it off a little shank-like knife would've been da bomb
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Quote Originally Posted by FruitBuyer View Post
    The hero that we need but not the one we deserve.
    If only this board had rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    I think we all agree this mold is great but still in my case, neither version 100% nails their hommage.
    The G1 Megatron comes pret-ty damn close; he even has gun grips on the sides of his legs! IMHO Combiner Wars Megatron is about as close as Hasbro can get to making a G1 Megatron character toy that doesn't actually transform into a Walther P38 (for obvious reasons). He's an even closer facsimile of G1 Megatron in robot mode than Classics/Henkei/United Voyager Megatron. It's obvious that this mould was initially conceived to be G1 Megatron, then later modified to be Armada Megatron. But I agree with griffin in that it's an interesting choice to give us a wholly new and different Megatron character rather than just a different incarnation of the same Megatron, which is what G2 Megatron would've been.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The G1 Megatron comes pret-ty damn close
    He sure does come close but I get an uncanny valley vibe from him too, kind of a 'soo close but not quite right' look.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

When I saw pics of this guy last year I wanted to get him, but after seeing him, I just can't quite seem to gather the enthusiasm. Though Leader class is always a tough sell for me.

Still if he goes on clearance........

I really do like that they went for something different like this, though I still want a G2 Megs repaint.

Question

Incant justify spending 80$ on him no. The armada vers. Looked unreal in tank mode but after seeing first hand pics ive changed my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Pep_87 View Post
    Incant justify spending 80$ on him no. The armada vers. Looked unreal in tank mode but after seeing first hand pics ive changed my mind.
    With those reindeer antlers, It's a unique Christmas decoration to put on your mantlepiece.

well, putting the two Megatrons side by side, the first thing I can say is I want to swap those shin pieces - unpainted grey on silver G1 Megs, and painted the same silver as G1 Megs on Armada Megatron... In fact they're kind of as out of place here as they are on the G1 version. And by G1 version I mean the other 2015 Tank Megatron release. Not the old gunformer.

If I get really bored I might try removing some pins...

Other than that, I really like the colour palette in use, the vibrant purple really contrasts with the muted military green, though I would have like the red pieces to be a little deeper red (similar to G1 Megatron) as they are now, they're an orangey red. However, I don't know the original character design/toy, so this might be the "correct" colour to have used.

Headsculpt is cool, great multi-level detail, face size is a little smaller than G1 Megatron, and a little more "in scale" in my opinion. G1 Megatron's head was just a little too big, by maybe 10-15% to me.

Great release, not worth the $95 I bought G1 Megs from Toyworld at, but for $69 (or $79? I don't remember) I thought I'd give him a shot.
    Last edited by prjkt; 13th March 2015 at 10:46 PM.

going to pass on this guy, color scheme is wack

Quote Originally Posted by Handsprime View Post
    Dead Mini-con ports so

OK so I forgot to mention about CW Megatron combining with Armada Tidal Wave. Apparently it is possible, but it's very loose and lacks the proper parts to do it. But since it can at least do it (remember that Tidal Wave is over 10 years old), I give the toy a +1 for being able to do that.
    Dead Mini-Con Ports also mean Mechtech Weapon Ports, but putting Mini-Cons on him will really Armada him up.

And combining with Tidal Wave? Gotta pick both of them up.
    Also do you have any pictures of Tidal wave combined with CW AM?