Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyfair Australia 2015 report and pics.

Default Toyfair Australia 2015 report and pics.

Alrighty then... this is the full report from today, and my photos (Demonac took some photos as well), but I didn't get to take close-up photos of
    everything I wanted to, because they were closing up when I was taking most of these.
    But don't worry, as we didn't have much that was NOT on display at NY Toyfair, which you can see in the many galleries at TFW2005 or Seibertron.
    (the original post of mine with the initial brief bits is quoted in the third post, so that you can see what has been added, or explained)

Naturally, a huge thankyou to Hasbro Australia, who have let me visit their exhibit for the eighth year now, asking them a lot of questions (we ended up
    spending about 2.5 hours)... and after many years of hard work, we are building a very good relationship now, that earned me a sneak peak at
    some items I can't talk about yet, and, should see some interesting projects and exclusive Retailer offers over the next couple years for Ozformers
    members... especially as we celebrate our 20th anniversary next year as a fan community/club.

The entrance sign of this year's Toyfair, which is the 50th Toyfair for Australia (apparently).

At registration, we get a bag for all the paperwork and samples the Retailers collect.

Outside the entrance are some promotional displays...

Adventure Time.

Tonka (a giant inflatable truck... I just want to jump on it like a jumping castle).

Turtles (a custom van, and screen to have a photo in front of).

Dora and Spongebob.

Inside we had a person walking around in a Twilight Sparkle costume, filling out the front legs, with the back half dragging along behind).

Okay okay, onto the Transformers stuff.

Licensed exhibitors first.

Nikko Remote Control cars, who produced the four Movie cars in the middle of last year (two convertible, two non-convertible), will be released
    again this year, and the distributor here said that they will be at BigW, DavidJones, TRU and Toyworld this year. The Helicopter (Drift) is still not
    coming here this year, as it was apparently cancelled (stopped production) soon after it was started, and only ended up being released in a couple of countries.
    Nikko were planning to do some new ones for RID, but didn't get enough retailer interest, so cancelled them and that's why the Movie ones are
    being re-released this year.

Loyal Subjects Wave 3 figurines should be out in the next month, as they have a March release date in Australia.

Hasbro.

GENERATIONS.
    They only had the first two waves of the regular release figures, and only one of each of wave two Deluxes, so didn't want to open up the Deluxe
    Stunticons to make a Menasor to fight off Superion.

The Titan Generations Devastator was on display, with my Gen1 Devastator I posted to Hasbro last week for them to show off the
    difference of 30 years of evolution in Transformers looks like. (they didn't have the individual Constructicons though, which NY Toyfair had on display)
    The Retailers have loved the new Devastator, with BigW already signed up for a June/July release (the mid-year toy sales).

I asked about DLX Slingshot & Wildrider after it was noted on another fansite, and was told that they aren't part of this year's range for
    Hasbro... since the Combiners line is already aimed to be at least two years, maybe they are in the next series of GEN toys.
    So if you want these characters, maybe get the TakaraTomy versions if Hasbro versions aren't announced before they are released.

I asked about the ToysRUs listing of Leader Class Starscream's bio, and it is a toy for wave 4, after Ultra Magnus in wave 3.

Generations will see TV commercials here, which will be a first for us, due to a lack of Generations toys released here in the last few years.

No Generations Boxsets are planned at this time. (I asked, because TakaraTomy are doing it)

Robots In Disguise.

The giant Bumblebee - makes the classic transformation sound when you transform it. You can never get too tired hearing that sound in a
    Transformers toy.

Transforming Titans... yes, just like Actionmasters decades ago, those crappy wacky non-transforming Titans will have some
    transforming versions, that are just as simple as those Elite Actionmaster were.

Minicons. They only had two of the single packs on display, but this looks to be a first appearance of what the packaging will look like.

Over to one side was this display of some licensed merchandise and potential merchandise here... plus a time-trial competition for the Retailers.
    It was only a simple toy, the Mega 3-step Optimus, because the Retailers don't have time to be mucking around with a complex toy (and Hasbro
    wouldn't want them frustrated with a product which might have them refuse to stock it).

Hero Mashers.
    Only wave one RID shown, plus the re-release of the larger size classes. Hero Mashers will be huge this year, with about four Brands being released
    as Hero Mashers.

Rescue Bots.

The new "Mini Scene Packs" that were at NY Toyfair, which will have a couple of figurines packed with a vehicle from the Cartoon.
    Plus, a new convertible Bumblebee in a new style of packaging, which I don't recall seeing at the NY Toyfair.

And the High Tide playset. I wanted to have a play with this but ran out of time.

That's all the photos this year, which was more than the last couple of years.
    Now for the info of things not on display...

Masterpiece.
    Australia will continue to be following Hong Kong's lead and having both Hasbro and TakaraTomy Masterpiece toys at ToysRUs stores here.

The Japanese Masterpiece toys that SHOULD be coming this year (details and dates are for Australia, which is usually about a month after JP/HK
    dates - these can change, and often do)...
    - Gold bumblebee in around July,
    - The Convoy reissue middle of the year,
    - Tracks is mid-year and was NOT noted as MP-25 on the Hasbro Australia list, but maybe they have 25 and 26 mixed up, as Tracks was labelled as
    MP-25 in a recent Japanese Hobby magazine.
    - MP-25 (or 26 if the numbers were mixed up on the list) will be here in about Sept (I know what it is, but I'm not allowed to reveal the name
    before TakaraTomy announces it)
    - Two "sports cars" for OCT and NOV (the names haven't be revealed to Hasbro Australia yet, as it is so far in the future, so I have no idea if they
    are new moulds... but with three new moulds already coming this year, I'd imagine that at least one of these are a redeco).
    (please don't bother asking me, or expect, any more information on the future Masterpiece toys, as I am not expecting updates before
    TakaraTomy reveals the next few... and everything I am allowed to talk about is listed here already)

Hasbro Masterpiece.
    The Starscream Masterpiece will be the second version of the mould, which was MP-11, because that was apparently chosen because it was what the fans wanted.
    Masterpiece Bluestreak will be out here in about July.

Platinum Edition.
    It really is the year of the Gen1 reissues.
    Myer exclusives - Seeker 3-pack, YOTG Optimus, YOTG Soundwave.
    ToysRUs will have the Insecticon 3-pack, the Perceptor/Blaster 2-pack, Trypticon, aaaaand.... Dinobots. YES, Gen1 Dinobots multipack which I
    hope is all five, and all in Gen1 colouring.
    I guess all the popularity with Dinobots last year, it was finally worth rebuilding or reverse-engineering the original Dinobot moulds. Plus Trypticon
    as another Dinosaur to sell off the hype of the Movie Dinosaurs.
    (no sign of the Astrotrain/Blitzwing 2-pack here as it was not on the future store exclusive listing)

Miscellaneous items...

Firstly, there were two items that I was shown that I can't say until they are officially revealed... so I'm just noting it here, so that when I can
    describe them later, I can refer to this post to show that I'm not just making it up at that later time.

The Japanese Movie Stinger is still on for this month, but only at TRU though... Hasbro is still hoping to organize an Ozformers member discount.

Some SDCC exclusives will be released in Australia this year at the Oz Comic Con (not related to SDCC I think, but must have struck up a special deal
    this year for the two events that are after SDCC - Brisbane 19/20 Sept & Sydney 26/27 Sept). Hasbro AUS weren't allowed to reveal what items will be available
    here because SDCC and Hasbro America have to make the
    official announcements by Press Release around June... but at least one
    will be a Transformers SDCC toy. For the Brisbane convention, Hasbro asked me if I was interested in lending some of my collection for a small
    historical display of the toyline... and if they are having booths at the other four shows, I can see if they want locals in that area to do the same.
    Details will be released later when known or allowed.

Hasbro Australia have decided to abandon Kreo in this country... so none of the RID build sets and the Convertible Kreo sets seen at NY Toyfair are
    NOT coming here. (last November we were originally slated to have the first wave of Convertible Kreo in March, but it looks like that's now cancelled).
    (a lot more items I need to import... )

That's pretty much all I can talk about from the 2.5 hours we were there, and if you have any questions about what Devastator was like to hold and
    play with, Demonac will hopefully respond, as he got to do all the playing with the toys while I was busy taking photos and talking to people.

Lastly, a thankyou to Patrick from Hasbro Rhode Island, who was in Australia for the Toyfair I think, and talked to me for a few minutes to talk
    about what he does at Head Office in America (works on the colour layouts of toys and games at Hasbro).
    Last edited by griffin; 10th March 2015 at 09:05 PM.

Wow 2015 is actually gonna have some good releases in Australia. 2014 was a terrible year I have to say. Only Jetfire and some of the masterpieces actually stood out against all the crap released.

Pumped for Devastator and some of the TRU releases
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Photos later tonight, and the full report.... but some teaser info to get you interested and to send the global fansites into meltdown.

Generations Devastator on display with my Gen1 Devastator - BigW already signed up for June/July.

More JP Masterpiece coming this year - Gold bumblebee July, Convoy reissue, Tracks (not MP25), MP25 in Sept (I can't reveal name before TakaraTomy), and two new "sports cars" for OCT & NOV.

Platinum edition - Myer will have Seeker pack and YOTG pair... while ToysRUs will have Insecticon pack, Perceptor/Blaster, Trypticon, aaaaand.... Dinobots. YES, Gen1 Dinobots multipack which I hope is all five.

JP Stinger still for this month, only at TRU though.

GEN Slingshot & Wildrider don't exist (yet) for Hasbro Generations, but might next year as Combiners are going to be at least two years.

Leader Starscream for wave 4.

Hasbro MP Starscream is the second (MP11) version because fans wanted it.
    Hasbro MP Bluestreak will be in July.

Toyworld's cheaper prices were indeed just introductory prices from Hasbro.

Loyal Subjects w3 should be out in the next month.

That's most of it. More later, probably after midnight though.

Go nuts...
    Stop! I can only get so erect!

So many positives and items of good news. Goes to show that the movies, while they make a motza of moolah, stagnate the toy line and toy sales.

Good news on the releases of special figures and sets like the MPs and re-issues, since they do not have "waves" there will be no over purchasing of wave 1 and no purchasing of subsequent waves like we normally get!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Wow, some awesome news already.
    MP Tracks not being #25 is really interesting.
    I'm so glad that Dev will be at Big W. As long as I can find one

Dinobots just blew me away! Really not happy with the amount of TRU exclusives. They got pretty much everything I want. I'm going to just give up on local releases.

As a TT MP collector my wallet is going to be empty all year. Exhaust, Star Saber, G2 Bee, Tracks, MP-25, and two new "sports cars". I just hope they turn up hear quickly and at a good price so I can justify not importing from HLJ.

Any word if the Dinobots are a new mould or if they found the original lost/stolen moulds?
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

So any indication of when TakaraTomy WILL be naming MP25?

So much unheard of things in your post griffin! When i read it i had 1 extremely long word in my head for the whole post...

Ffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

That is a LOT of new news.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    So many positives and items of good news. Goes to show that the movies, while they make a motza of moolah, stagnate the toy line and toy sales.

Good news on the releases of special figures and sets like the MPs and re-issues, since they do not have "waves" there will be no over purchasing of wave 1 and no purchasing of subsequent waves like we normally get!
    Can you explain how that is the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    So much unheard of things in your post griffin! When i read it i had 1 extremely long word in my head for the whole post...

Ffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

That is a LOT of new news.
    I second that looong word!
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)