Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Major US & UK Transformers conventions

Looks like Vince DiCola is still around doing the convention scene, as he's another guest at next month's Florida TFCon.

Despite all of the rapidly increasing number of announcements of cancelled events around the world, this one still surprised me for some reason - the Florida TFCon next weekend has been cancelled.
    Just like other events that have been cancelled at the last minute, there will be a lot of people losing money over this. People will be getting refunds of any packages or dealer tables they pre-paid, but those who pre-paid any of their trip or paid for cheap non-refundable tickets, lose out... as do all of those vendors and dealers who need these events to earn a living or pay staff. Not to mention dealers who would have bought up extra stock, to sell at the event, now have to move that extra stock some other way.

And this was one that I almost went to as well, if certain things had gone my way last year. Glad I didn't, as I probably would have been flying over this weekend, to spend the week at the themeparks before the convention next weekend. There were a number of guests I wanted to meet, and it was in the city that I've been to twice before, and would love to go back again for Disneyworld and Universal Studios.
    I hope they try to do it again there next year, as I should be more able to go next year.

It was interesting reading the time-line of live cancellations of the guests over a matter of hours before the official cancellation of the Florida TFCon, suggesting that it was just the lack of guests forcing the decision as it was before the virus had become a serious concern in America.
    And it looks like the organisers of TFCon must be believing what the White House is telling the public, in that the virus will be eradicated very quickly, because they have announced a new American TFCon in October, in Chicago.
    There is no way this will go ahead. The virus will still be around in October, and government restrictions on how many people can be allowed to be in a group will prevent all conventions until next year.

It makes you wonder what is going to happen with SDCC this year. July is still a little over 3 months away, and the extravagant exhibits and exclusives take months to prepare and produce, so I think there would be a lot of companies already deciding that they will not be able to be involved, particularly if the virus may not have reached its peak by then.
    Hasbro always sells their extras on their website, so if there is no SDCC, they will just sell all of their exclusives on their site... and us non-Americans just have the usual hassle of going through a secondary source (or get them from an Asian source).

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    And it looks like the organisers of TFCon must be believing what the White House is telling the public, in that the virus will be eradicated very quickly, because they have announced a new American TFCon in October, in Chicago.
    There is no way this will go ahead. The virus will still be around in October, and government restrictions on how many people can be allowed to be in a group will prevent all conventions until next year.
    With month passing since I made this comment, the rapid recovery of Australia and the fact that New York was past its own peak, had me thinking that October is still so far off, that this could still be a possibility.
    However, in recent days I've been keeping an eye on the infection rates in America, and even though numbers are dropping in New York, just about every other state is still climbing, particularly the middle states, which are only now getting their first surges of virus cases. Five months is still a long way off, but my money is that the October event will be cancelled due to ongoing restrictions, even if the state is "re-opened", as people will still be afraid of going (and the organisors would be forced to take measures to limit the number of people in rooms, which could make it impossible for it to be financially viable).

Meanwhile, their Canadian TFCon for 2020 has been postponed from July to September... but I'd say wait and see if it goes ahead, closer to its date.

The UK TFNation fan convention scheduled for August has now been cancelled.

The UK TFNation fan convention scheduled for August has now been cancelled.
    TFNation will be doing an online "convention", with seven of their guests being signed up to do something online during that weekend of August 14th & 15th (probably an online interview/panel for fans, which might be free). Details at the link, for those interested in being part of the audience of a foreign Transformers fan convention, from the comfort of your own home.

Both of the TFCons for this year (Canada and US) are now officially cancelled for this year.

TFCon have bravely announced a date and location for their 2021 American convention - October 22-24 in Baltimore Hilton, at Baltimore, Maryland.

TFNation will be doing an online "convention", with seven of their guests being signed up to do something online during that weekend of August 14th & 15th (probably an online interview/panel for fans, which might be free). Details at the link, for those interested in being part of the audience of a foreign Transformers fan convention, from the comfort of your own home.
    This is underway. I'm watching at the moment. I had very unconfirmed plans of going until this year became this year.

Following the trend of others, the American TFCon that was planned for the last weekend of October, is having an online event.